10.1 Thoughts and Call for Ready Features

10.1 Thoughts and Call for Ready Features

Hello Everyone,

I’d like to cut a 10.1 fairly soon, preferably in the next 2-3 weeks. My thinking is to take everything that is not explicitly tagged as 11.x and merge it ASAP. Really this should just be anything that doesn’t add instability, or introduces a half-finished API that we then have to support (the obvious exception is experimental capabilities that we denote as such). This is a bit of a departure from what I was suggesting earlier, where we we would cherry-pick major items into a separate branch, so if you have any concerns now is the time to raise them.

This release would be a good opportunity to include features that are ready to go (suitable for a final release in 2-3 weeks) but didn’t make 10.0 (I have a feeling Sanne has been itching for some updates to search!). If you have something then send a PR (noting that you want it in 10.1) or raise your figurative hand :)..

Thoughts?

Re: 10.1 Thoughts and Call for Ready Features

arjan.tijms
Hi Jason,

Just wondering, but will WildFly 10.1 be the basis for a future EAP 8, or for a future EAP 7.x?

How are the WildFly and EAP branches related to each other now that EAP 7 final has been released?

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Just an FYI, if you have a change that changes management API, you'll
need to bump the subsystem API and set up a transformer to the 10.0
version. Same as always. Just keep that in mind if you propose something
for 10.1. If the change is small but you expect other changes in 11, do
you want to go through the effort of the version bump in 10.1?

On 5/20/16 4:45 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I’d like to cut a 10.1 fairly soon, preferably in the next 2-3 weeks. My thinking is to take everything that is not explicitly tagged as 11.x and merge it ASAP. Really this should just be anything that doesn’t add instability, or introduces a half-finished API that we then have to support (the obvious exception is experimental capabilities that we denote as such). This is a bit of a departure from what I was suggesting earlier, where we we would cherry-pick major items into a separate branch, so if you have any concerns now is the time to raise them.
>
> This release would be a good opportunity to include features that are ready to go (suitable for a final release in 2-3 weeks) but didn’t make 10.0 (I have a feeling Sanne has been itching for some updates to search!). If you have something then send a PR (noting that you want it in 10.1) or raise your figurative hand :)..
>
> Thoughts?
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Senior Principal Software Engineer

Re: 10.1 Thoughts and Call for Ready Features

On 5/20/16 4:45 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I’d like to cut a 10.1 fairly soon, preferably in the next 2-3 weeks. My thinking is to take everything that is not explicitly tagged as 11.x

Remember that fairly few people can add github labels, so the present
set of "11.x" labels really amounts to a couple peoples's tagging,
mostly me semi-randomly looking at stuff I expect. So it's probably a
good idea for people, component leads in particular, to mark ASAP ones
that they don't think should be in 10.1. Probably changing the title to
include "11.x" or similar is easiest.

On May 20, 2016, at 5:05 PM, arjan tijms <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jason,

Just wondering, but will WildFly 10.1 be the basis for a future EAP 8, or for a future EAP 7.x?

How are the WildFly and EAP branches related to each other now that EAP 7 final has been released?

Hi Arjan,

Good question.

A number of the features developed in WildFly 11 will be backported into the EAP 7.1 branch. Some of them might carry over into a 7.2 release. EAP8 is pretty far out, so there will be a number of community releases in between.

Cheers,
Jason

[...]

Jaikiran Pai-2
FWIW - there's a leak of application classes across redeployments
currently in 10.x (and in previous releases)
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-6173 and appears to be related to
Weld integration. Given that such issues have been considered blockers
during previous releases, I thought I'll bring this issue to the notice
of this list.

-Jaikiran
On Saturday 21 May 2016 03:15 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I’d like to cut a 10.1 fairly soon, preferably in the next 2-3 weeks. My thinking is to take everything that is not explicitly tagged as 11.x and merge it ASAP. Really this should just be anything that doesn’t add instability, or introduces a half-finished API that we then have to support (the obvious exception is experimental capabilities that we denote as such). This is a bit of a departure from what I was suggesting earlier, where we we would cherry-pick major items into a separate branch, so if you have any concerns now is the time to raise them.
>
> This release would be a good opportunity to include features that are ready to go (suitable for a final release in 2-3 weeks) but didn’t make 10.0 (I have a feeling Sanne has been itching for some updates to search!). If you have something then send a PR (noting that you want it in 10.1) or raise your figurative hand :)..
>
> Thoughts?
> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: 10.1 Thoughts and Call for Ready Features

Brian Stansberry
Thanks. To make sure it doesn't fall in a crack I marked it as a blocker
for 10.1.

On 05/20/2016 05:45 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I’d like to cut a 10.1 fairly soon, preferably in the next 2-3 weeks. My thinking is to take everything that is not explicitly tagged as 11.x and merge it ASAP. Really this should just be anything that doesn’t add instability, or introduces a half-finished API that we then have to support (the obvious exception is experimental capabilities that we denote as such). This is a bit of a departure from what I was suggesting earlier, where we we would cherry-pick major items into a separate branch, so if you have any concerns now is the time to raise them.
>
> This release would be a good opportunity to include features that are ready to go (suitable for a final release in 2-3 weeks) but didn’t make 10.0 (I have a feeling Sanne has been itching for some updates to search!). If you have something then send a PR (noting that you want it in 10.1) or raise your figurative hand :)..
>
> Thoughts?

+1 for a quick 10.1 release in 2-3 weeks.

I added comments to the following pending PRs that they are for 10.1:

https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/8810
https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/8591

The following javassist export PR is marked as "fixme" but I'm not sure
exactly what that means.  Would be good to have a comment that explains
the minimal expected fix (shading Javassist runtime proxy code or adding
Byte Buddy dependency to Hibernate ORM, so that could be used, which
IMO, is a longer path and really not my call):

https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/8474

> --
> Jason T. Greene

Re: 10.1 Thoughts and Call for Ready Features

Tomaž Cerar-2

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
The following javassist export PR is marked as "fixme" but I'm not sure
exactly what that means.

the fixme label was added back in January, when testsuite was still failing as result of PR itself.
That is long gone now, and it can be removed.