7.0.1.Final "Zap" is live!

http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/downloads/
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/tree/7.0.1.Final/

135 issues closed:
https://issues.jboss.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311211&version=12317200

Major Features:
- JPA Plug-ability (Hibernate 3 can now be used to provide JPA support)
- MDB support in everything distro / preview profile
- Timer support in everything distro / preview profile
- Easier to bundle your own JSF version

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: 7.0.1.Final "Zap" is live!

Jaikiran Pai
Great news! Congratulations!

-Jaikiran
On Thursday 18 August 2011 09:42 AM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/downloads/
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/tree/7.0.1.Final/
>
> 135 issues closed:
> https://issues.jboss.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311211&version=12317200
>
> Major Features:
> - JPA Plug-ability (Hibernate 3 can now be used to provide JPA support)
> - MDB support in everything distro / preview profile
> - Timer support in everything distro / preview profile
> - Easier to bundle your own JSF version

Re: 7.0.1.Final "Zap" is live!

Andrig Miller
Congratulations!

Andy

Re: 7.0.1.Final "Zap" is live!

William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM)
Does this version include the fix that makes resources embedded in javaagents available on the classpath? Because unless I have messed up my config again it does not look like it does.

On 18/08/2011 15:30, Andrig Miller wrote:
Congratulations!

Andy

Re: 7.0.1.Final "Zap" is live!

David Lloyd-2
Answering the first question first - if it wasn't upgraded, it was
presumably because nobody who had a problem reported it in JIRA or
submitted a pull request for the change.  Note that _anyone_ with a
jboss.org account can report an issue and submit a pull request
(assuming you've signed the CLA that is).

For the second question, there's no version number because it is
executed via the command line, so if there was a version number you'd
have to upgrade all the launch and utility scripts every time you
changed it.

On 08/18/2011 09:44 AM, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:

> I downloaded the jboss modules 1.0.2.GA release jar dropped it into the
> jboss-as-7.0.1 root directory, deleted the older version with not
> numbering then remove the numbering (versioning) from the newer version
> and got things working again. But this is really not something either of
> us would want to be documented as an approach to bring metering to the
> jboss as 7 runtime. I don't understand why the jboss modules was not
> upgraded in the first place especially as its key to the runtime and its
> the only library that is not packaged as a bundle and versioned (within
> the file name). ;-(
>
> On 18/08/2011 16:25, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:
>> Why is this
>> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2011-July/003138.html
>> not included in the fixes for 7.0.1? We are still not off the starting
>> blocks with 7.0.1. This is really bad news and in someway proves what
>> many engineers confirmed at the JVM lang summit - modularity on top
>> rather within the VM is doomed. A maintenance & support nightmare
>> coupled with a never ending story for all.
>>
>> On 18/08/2011 16:03, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:
>>> Does this version include the fix that makes resources embedded in
>>> javaagents available on the classpath? Because unless I have messed
>>> up my config again it does not look like it does.

well its nice to know all the effort last month (on both sides) came to
nothing wrt 7.0.1 though there was a JIRA entry in the JBoss Modules
project (but no AS) https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MODULES-93

On 18/08/2011 16:57, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> Answering the first question first - if it wasn't upgraded, it was
> presumably because nobody who had a problem reported it in JIRA or
> submitted a pull request for the change.  Note that _anyone_ with a
> jboss.org account can report an issue and submit a pull request
> (assuming you've signed the CLA that is).
>
> For the second question, there's no version number because it is
> executed via the command line, so if there was a version number you'd
> have to upgrade all the launch and utility scripts every time you
> changed it.
>
> On 08/18/2011 09:44 AM, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:
>> I downloaded the jboss modules 1.0.2.GA release jar dropped it into the
>> jboss-as-7.0.1 root directory, deleted the older version with not
>> numbering then remove the numbering (versioning) from the newer version
>> and got things working again. But this is really not something either of
>> us would want to be documented as an approach to bring metering to the
>> jboss as 7 runtime. I don't understand why the jboss modules was not
>> upgraded in the first place especially as its key to the runtime and its
>> the only library that is not packaged as a bundle and versioned (within
>> the file name). ;-(
>>
>> On 18/08/2011 16:25, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:
>>> Why is this
>>> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2011-July/003138.html
>>> not included in the fixes for 7.0.1? We are still not off the starting
>>> blocks with 7.0.1. This is really bad news and in someway proves what
>>> many engineers confirmed at the JVM lang summit - modularity on top
>>> rather within the VM is doomed. A maintenance&  support nightmare
>>> coupled with a never ending story for all.

Re: 7.0.1.Final "Zap" is live!

David Lloyd-2
I assume you've since filed an AS7 JIRA to get it fixed for the next
release?

On 08/18/2011 10:02 AM, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:

> well its nice to know all the effort last month (on both sides) came to
> nothing wrt 7.0.1 though there was a JIRA entry in the JBoss Modules
> project (but no AS) https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MODULES-93
>
> On 18/08/2011 16:57, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> Answering the first question first - if it wasn't upgraded, it was
>> presumably because nobody who had a problem reported it in JIRA or
>> submitted a pull request for the change.  Note that _anyone_ with a
>> jboss.org account can report an issue and submit a pull request
>> (assuming you've signed the CLA that is).
>>
>> For the second question, there's no version number because it is
>> executed via the command line, so if there was a version number you'd
>> have to upgrade all the launch and utility scripts every time you
>> changed it.
>>
>> On 08/18/2011 09:44 AM, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:
>>> I downloaded the jboss modules 1.0.2.GA release jar dropped it into the
>>> jboss-as-7.0.1 root directory, deleted the older version with not
>>> numbering then remove the numbering (versioning) from the newer version
>>> and got things working again. But this is really not something either of
>>> us would want to be documented as an approach to bring metering to the
>>> jboss as 7 runtime. I don't understand why the jboss modules was not
>>> upgraded in the first place especially as its key to the runtime and its
>>> the only library that is not packaged as a bundle and versioned (within
>>> the file name). ;-(

Re: 7.0.1.Final "Zap" is live!

It's my fault I dropped the ball. Sorry about that. I had not upgraded
since I was planning to move 7.0.1 to modules 1.1, but we decided not to
do that since we need to distribute a JAXP endorsed library set which
wasn't completed in time. If I would have just created a JIRA we would
have caught it.

On 8/18/11 10:10 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> I assume you've since filed an AS7 JIRA to get it fixed for the next
> release?
>
> On 08/18/2011 10:02 AM, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:
>> well its nice to know all the effort last month (on both sides) came to
>> nothing wrt 7.0.1 though there was a JIRA entry in the JBoss Modules
>> project (but no AS) https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MODULES-93
>>
>> On 18/08/2011 16:57, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>> Answering the first question first - if it wasn't upgraded, it was
>>> presumably because nobody who had a problem reported it in JIRA or
>>> submitted a pull request for the change.  Note that _anyone_ with a
>>> jboss.org account can report an issue and submit a pull request
>>> (assuming you've signed the CLA that is).
>>>
>>> For the second question, there's no version number because it is
>>> executed via the command line, so if there was a version number you'd
>>> have to upgrade all the launch and utility scripts every time you
>>> changed it.

Done. In the meantime I will publish a write up on our project site
detailing "why this does not work today, why it did not get fixed and
how to fix it yourself". https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1571

Thanks for being so helpful.

On 18/08/2011 17:10, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> I assume you've since filed an AS7 JIRA to get it fixed for the next
> release?
>
> On 08/18/2011 10:02 AM, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:
>> well its nice to know all the effort last month (on both sides) came to
>> nothing wrt 7.0.1 though there was a JIRA entry in the JBoss Modules
>> project (but no AS) https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MODULES-93
>>
>> On 18/08/2011 16:57, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>> Answering the first question first - if it wasn't upgraded, it was
>>> presumably because nobody who had a problem reported it in JIRA or
>>> submitted a pull request for the change.  Note that _anyone_ with a
>>> jboss.org account can report an issue and submit a pull request
>>> (assuming you've signed the CLA that is).
>>>
>>> For the second question, there's no version number because it is
>>> executed via the command line, so if there was a version number you'd
>>> have to upgrade all the launch and utility scripts every time you
>>> changed it.

No problem Jason. I should have created a JIRA myself since I reported
it. In the meantime I will update our integration doc with the
instructions to download the JBoss Modules. Next time I find something
I'll be sure to log it in JIRA which reminds me I better log the other
issue related to the system pks property and its inclusion in both
standalone.conf and domain.conf referencing byteman. I am not sure how
the JVM handles multiple same system property listings.

On 18/08/2011 18:54, Jason T. Greene wrote:

> It's my fault I dropped the ball. Sorry about that. I had not upgraded
> since I was planning to move 7.0.1 to modules 1.1, but we decided not to
> do that since we need to distribute a JAXP endorsed library set which
> wasn't completed in time. If I would have just created a JIRA we would
> have caught it.
>
> On 8/18/11 10:10 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> I assume you've since filed an AS7 JIRA to get it fixed for the next
>> release?
>>
>> On 08/18/2011 10:02 AM, William Louth (JINSPIRED.COM) wrote:
>>> well its nice to know all the effort last month (on both sides) came to
>>> nothing wrt 7.0.1 though there was a JIRA entry in the JBoss Modules
>>> project (but no AS) https://issues.jboss.org/browse/MODULES-93

jboss.modules.system.pkgs set in standalone.conf[.bat] and domain.conf[.bat]
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1572

Re: 7.0.1.Final "Zap" is live!

Bruno Georges
Excellent and congratulations !