7.1.0.Beta1b Release

This week we discovered an unintentional compatibility problem in our
management protocol. The cause was that the protocol in master had been
slightly updated in an incompatible way to better support SASL
scenarios, BUT the protocol version was not correctly incremented. This
means that 7.1.0.Beta1 can not successfully communicate with 7.0.x and
vice versa. This also means that JBoss Tools was unable to communicate
with both versions without having two separate plugins.

We decided that since this was just a Beta release, the best solution is
to correct the problem and release a patched Beta1 (called Beta1b).
Beta1b now has transport compatibility in both directions with 7.0.x as
expected. Beta1, however, will be forever incompatible. For this reason,
I have removed Beta1 from the download site.

In addition to the compatibility problem, we also discovered that the
Beta1 distribution was using improper file permissions on the
mgmt-users.properties files. This is a potential security issue if
someone does not intentionally make these files unreadable to other
users. This has been corrected. The zip and tar.gz distribution have the
correct unix 600 permissions.

For the CR1 and Final releases we will be doing additional compatibility
testing to prevent this from happening in the future.

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: 7.1.0.Beta1b Release

Max Rydahl Andersen

Thanks Jason and team for fixing this and entertaining me till 5 AM for the final verification:)

>  This also means that JBoss Tools was unable to communicate
> with both versions without having two separate plugins.

Worth to mention it would not just have been jboss tools that would be affected by this.
Arquillian, maven deploy maven plugins etc. would have failed too unless they didn't used the exact
same binary jar - which would mean you would need to setup different profiles to deploy/test same content to as7.0 or as7.1
even though nothing as7.0 or 7.1 specific in your app.

Again thanks for rerelease - makes the user story so much easier.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen