API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

hanasaki@gmail.com
What are the differences between the JBoss EE6 API and the Oracle EE6
API as specified by the below maven dependencies?  What issues, if any,
are there in using the oracle javax api spec?  Since the spec is final,
wouldn't there be no differences to expect?

Thank you.

reference info below:

         <dependency>
             <groupId>javax</groupId>
             <artifactId>javaee-api</artifactId>
             <version>6.0</version>
             <scope>compile</scope>
         </dependency>

<groupId>org.jboss.spec</groupId>
        <artifactId>jboss-javaee-6.0</artifactId>
        <artifactId>jboss-javaee-all-6.0</artifactId>
        <version>3.0.2.Final</version>
</dependency>

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Emmanuel Bernard
They are binary identical as it is checked by the TCK.

The reason we have our own AFAIR is that
- when we work on a preview of the spec, we need to write our own
  anyways as the Oracle teams don't necessarily have the same timeframe
- there is some license subtleties involved and we prefer to write our
  own from a clean room.
- some APIs have actual code - and thus bugs - and we want to be able to
  fix them - and have.

Emmanuel

On Wed 2014-05-21  3:03, [hidden email] wrote:

> What are the differences between the JBoss EE6 API and the Oracle EE6
> API as specified by the below maven dependencies?  What issues, if any,
> are there in using the oracle javax api spec?  Since the spec is final,
> wouldn't there be no differences to expect?
>
> Thank you.
>
> reference info below:
>
>          <dependency>
>              <groupId>javax</groupId>
>              <artifactId>javaee-api</artifactId>
>              <version>6.0</version>
>              <scope>compile</scope>
>          </dependency>
>
> <groupId>org.jboss.spec</groupId>
> <artifactId>jboss-javaee-6.0</artifactId>
> <artifactId>jboss-javaee-all-6.0</artifactId>
> <version>3.0.2.Final</version>
> </dependency>

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Chris Ritchie
The official bundles contained classes with empty methods, causing errors in some use cases, such as Arquillian tests.

From this blog:
"Sun/Oracle stripped out the code from classes that are classified as "implementations". So all the interfaces are code complete, yet any abstract class or implementation class has no code in it"

For piece of mind, I would suggest using the same version of jars shipped with the application server you are using. If you are using JBoss/WildFly, stick to the jboss bundles.

Cheers

Chris

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 03:03:44 -0500
From: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [wildfly-dev] API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs
To: [hidden email]

What are the differences between the JBoss EE6 API and the Oracle EE6
API as specified by the below maven dependencies?  What issues, if any,
are there in using the oracle javax api spec?  Since the spec is final,
wouldn't there be no differences to expect?

Thank you.

reference info below:

         <dependency>
             <groupId>javax</groupId>
             <artifactId>javaee-api</artifactId>
             <version>6.0</version>
             <scope>compile</scope>
         </dependency>

<groupId>org.jboss.spec</groupId>
        <artifactId>jboss-javaee-6.0</artifactId>
        <artifactId>jboss-javaee-all-6.0</artifactId>
        <version>3.0.2.Final</version>
</dependency>

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 10:26:05 +0200
From: Emmanuel Bernard <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [wildfly-dev] API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6
        specs
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

They are binary identical as it is checked by the TCK.

The reason we have our own AFAIR is that
- when we work on a preview of the spec, we need to write our own
  anyways as the Oracle teams don't necessarily have the same timeframe
- there is some license subtleties involved and we prefer to write our
  own from a clean room.
- some APIs have actual code - and thus bugs - and we want to be able to
  fix them - and have.

Emmanuel

On Wed 2014-05-21  3:03, [hidden email] wrote:
> What are the differences between the JBoss EE6 API and the Oracle EE6
> API as specified by the below maven dependencies?  What issues, if any,
> are there in using the oracle javax api spec?  Since the spec is final,
> wouldn't there be no differences to expect?
>
> Thank you.
>
> reference info below:
>
>          <dependency>
>              <groupId>javax</groupId>
>              <artifactId>javaee-api</artifactId>
>              <version>6.0</version>
>              <scope>compile</scope>
>          </dependency>
>
> <groupId>org.jboss.spec</groupId>
>       <artifactId>jboss-javaee-6.0</artifactId>
>       <artifactId>jboss-javaee-all-6.0</artifactId>
>       <version>3.0.2.Final</version>
> </dependency>

End of wildfly-dev Digest, Vol 14, Issue 7

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Sebastian Łaskawiec
Hi

There is a very nice example in Adam Bien's blog: (http://www.adam-bien.com/roller/abien/entry/trouble_with_crippled_java_ee). He tried to mock EntityManager and got java.lang.ClassFormatError, just as Chis described.

You can also find pretty interesting information about Java EE specs project in Shelly McGowan's blog: https://community.jboss.org/blogs/donnamishelly/2011/04/29/jboss-java-ee-api-specs-project

Best regards
Sebastian

The official bundles contained classes with empty methods, causing errors in some use cases, such as Arquillian tests.

From this blog:

Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 10:26:05 +0200
From: Emmanuel Bernard <[hidden email]>
        specs
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

They are binary identical as it is checked by the TCK.

The reason we have our own AFAIR is that
- when we work on a preview of the spec, we need to write our own
  anyways as the Oracle teams don't necessarily have the same timeframe
- there is some license subtleties involved and we prefer to write our
  own from a clean room.
- some APIs have actual code - and thus bugs - and we want to be able to
  fix them - and have.

Emmanuel

On Wed 2014-05-21  3:03, [hidden email] wrote:
> What are the differences between the JBoss EE6 API and the Oracle EE6
> API as specified by the below maven dependencies?  What issues, if any,
> are there in using the oracle javax api spec?  Since the spec is final,
> wouldn't there be no differences to expect?
>
> Thank you.
>
> reference info below:
>
>          <dependency>
>              <groupId>javax</groupId>
>              <artifactId>javaee-api</artifactId>
>              <version>6.0</version>
>              <scope>compile</scope>
>          </dependency>
>
> <groupId>org.jboss.spec</groupId>
>       <artifactId>jboss-javaee-6.0</artifactId>
>       <artifactId>jboss-javaee-all-6.0</artifactId>
>       <version>3.0.2.Final</version>
> </dependency>

End of wildfly-dev Digest, Vol 14, Issue 7

Sebastian Łaskawiec

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Andrey Ponomarenko
API changes report:
http://upstream-tracker.org/downloads/compat_reports/javaee/6.0_to_jboss-6.0-3.0.2.Final/compat_report.html

It's generated by https://github.com/lvc/japi-compliance-checker

$> japi-compliance-checker -l javaee javaee-api-6.0.jar
jboss-javaee-all-6.0-3.0.2.Final.jar

--
Andrey Ponomarenko, NTC IT ROSA.
http://www.rosalab.com/

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Looks that report is counting internal impl classes and all maven deps, so its not very accurate. It’s a good idea though.

On May 21, 2014, at 8:18 AM, Andrey Ponomarenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> API changes report:
> http://upstream-tracker.org/downloads/compat_reports/javaee/6.0_to_jboss-6.0-3.0.2.Final/compat_report.html
>
> It's generated by https://github.com/lvc/japi-compliance-checker
>
> $> japi-compliance-checker -l javaee javaee-api-6.0.jar
> jboss-javaee-all-6.0-3.0.2.Final.jar
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> What are the differences between the JBoss EE6 API and the Oracle EE6
>> API as specified by the below maven dependencies?  What issues, if any,
>> are there in using the oracle javax api spec?  Since the spec is final,
>> wouldn't there be no differences to expect?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> reference info below:
>>
>>          <dependency>
>>              <groupId>javax</groupId>
>>              <artifactId>javaee-api</artifactId>
>>              <version>6.0</version>
>>              <scope>compile</scope>
>>          </dependency>
>>
>> <groupId>org.jboss.spec</groupId>
>> <artifactId>jboss-javaee-6.0</artifactId>
>> <artifactId>jboss-javaee-all-6.0</artifactId>
>> <version>3.0.2.Final</version>
>> </dependency>
>
> --
> Andrey Ponomarenko, NTC IT ROSA.
> http://www.rosalab.com/

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Andrey Ponomarenko
I've corrected the report:
http://upstream-tracker.org/downloads/compat_reports/javaee/6.0_to_jboss-6.0-3.0.2.Final/compat_report_pub.html

Added --skip-internal="\A(java_cup|org)" cmd option in order to check
javax package only.

--
Andrey Ponomarenko, NTC IT ROSA.
http://www.rosalab.com/

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Tomaž Cerar-2
Question is what is proper or reference, for our Jars we are sure they pass Java EE6/7 TCK signature tests (which tests mostly what you are comparing)

question is from where id javaee.jar you are using come frome, and does it also pass TCK signature tests.

--
Andrey Ponomarenko, NTC IT ROSA.
http://www.rosalab.com/

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Andrey Ponomarenko
It's from
http://download.java.net/maven/2/javax/javaee-api/6.0/javaee-api-6.0.jar

--
Andrey Ponomarenko, NTC IT ROSA.
http://www.rosalab.com/

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Tomaž Cerar-2

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Andrey Ponomarenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

I know where it is from, but question is, is it official javaee artifact?, AFAIK only with JEE7 did this became mandatory as part of JSR
for example just compare

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/javaee-api/7.0/javaee-api-7.0.pom
to see what I mean,
tomaz

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Shelly McGowan

Tomaz,

Those are provided by reference implementation.  We started the Java EE Spec API project a while ago for the reasons listed here:
https://github.com/jboss/jboss-javaee-specs/blob/master/README.md

These APIs were later promoted with the WELD archetypes[1] as the recommended approach due to a few issues with the javaee-api JAR from GlassFish repository; specifically,

- It's a shaded JAR, so you have no idea what it actually bundles
- The code is stripped out of all the method bodies, so you get an Absent Code exception if you try to touch any of the classes

Shelly

[1]https://community.jboss.org/thread/179735

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Andrey Ponomarenko < [hidden email] > wrote:

http://download.java.net/ maven/2/javax/j

I know where it is from, but question is, is it official javaee artifact?, AFAIK only with JEE7 did this became mandatory as part of JSR
for example just compare

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/javaee-api/7.0/javaee-api-7.0.pom
vs
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/javaee-api/6.0/javaee-api-6.0.pom

to see what I mean,
tomaz

Re: API differences javax EE6 vs JBoss EE6 specs

Jason T. Greene
This type of report is a good idea though because it's always going to e more thorough than the TCK signature tests will be.

The hard part though is eliminating all of the false alarms so that it's useful.

Cases that can trip it up:

- Public classes which are not directly exposed by the API but simply used to by the API (Util classes, factory impls etc)

- Java SE classes which likely trip up the report because the Java EE version is more recent and therefore requires endorsed or special class loading

- Vendor Implementation Hooks. These are allowed to exist and in some cases are even required. This is why one should always prefer the API shipped by the container they are using.

- Bug Fixes / MR releases might report slight changes to method signatures or additional methods.

Per Tomaz's point, a focus on EE7 is better but if someone wants to volunteer time on discovering EE6 compliance issues we would certainly address any issues discovered. Of course patches would be even better :)

-Jason

Sent from my iPhone