AS 7 as a service to local users

Carlo de Wolf
We had an interesting discussion on #fedora-java in which Max proposed a
feature to allow any user to deploy to the running AS 7 instance.

I think we all agree that ultimately this is a multi-tenancy issue. But
for now we could settle on having user permissions on deployment repo
operations.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Carlo

Re: AS 7 as a service to local users

Max Rydahl Andersen
just to be clear my idea/suggestions was:

A) on Fedora AS 7 have a group that users can become a member of (i.e. jboss-user) which the deployments directory inside jboss-as packaging can deploy to

B) provide a ~/.jboss-deployements folder in user home similar to ~/.public_html which works with httpd.

just a thought.

/max

On Feb 1, 2012, at 14:30, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> We had an interesting discussion on #fedora-java in which Max proposed a
> feature to allow any user to deploy to the running AS 7 instance.
>
> I think we all agree that ultimately this is a multi-tenancy issue. But
> for now we could settle on having user permissions on deployment repo
> operations.
>
> What are other peoples thoughts?
>
> Carlo

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: AS 7 as a service to local users

What will happen to the AS folders when the user upgrades to the next
version of Fedora?  Do they get a new blank (AS installation) slate?  Or
would the upgraded Fedora, preserve the user deployments?

On 02/01/2012 08:30 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> We had an interesting discussion on #fedora-java in which Max proposed a
> feature to allow any user to deploy to the running AS 7 instance.
>
> I think we all agree that ultimately this is a multi-tenancy issue. But
> for now we could settle on having user permissions on deployment repo
> operations.
>
> What are other peoples thoughts?
>
> Carlo

Re: AS 7 as a service to local users

Fernando Nasser
On 12-02-01 9:11 AM, Scott Marlow wrote:
> What will happen to the AS folders when the user upgrades to the next
> version of Fedora?  Do they get a new blank (AS installation) slate?  Or
> would the upgraded Fedora, preserve the user deployments?

The RPM system does not touch files it has not installed so they should
stay there.

> On 02/01/2012 08:30 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
>> We had an interesting discussion on #fedora-java in which Max proposed a
>> feature to allow any user to deploy to the running AS 7 instance.
>>
>> I think we all agree that ultimately this is a multi-tenancy issue. But
>> for now we could settle on having user permissions on deployment repo
>> operations.
>>
>> What are other peoples thoughts?
>>
>> Carlo

Re: AS 7 as a service to local users

Carlo de Wolf
A cheap intermediate way would be to allow any user to boot up a
configuration.

As an experiment I installed AS into /tmp/jboss-as as root and tried
booting up (a non-existing) ovirt configuration as a regular user.

$ ./standalone.sh -Djboss.server.base.dir=/tmp/ovirt/standalone
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /tmp/jboss-as/standalone/log/boot.log
(Permission denied)

Plus the wrong logging.properties get applied.

I think it might be a valid alternative until we get true multi-tenancy,
but it would require some patching.

Carlo

On 02/01/2012 02:38 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

> just to be clear my idea/suggestions was:
>
> A) on Fedora AS 7 have a group that users can become a member of (i.e. jboss-user) which the deployments directory inside jboss-as packaging can deploy to
>
> B) provide a ~/.jboss-deployements folder in user home similar to ~/.public_html which works with httpd.
>
> just a thought.
>
> /max
>
> On Feb 1, 2012, at 14:30, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
>
>> We had an interesting discussion on #fedora-java in which Max proposed a
>> feature to allow any user to deploy to the running AS 7 instance.
>>
>> I think we all agree that ultimately this is a multi-tenancy issue. But
>> for now we could settle on having user permissions on deployment repo
>> operations.
>>
>> What are other peoples thoughts?
>>
>> Carlo
> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: AS 7 as a service to local users

James Perkins
On 2/2/12 04:38, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> A cheap intermediate way would be to allow any user to boot up a
> configuration.
>
> As an experiment I installed AS into /tmp/jboss-as as root and tried
> booting up (a non-existing) ovirt configuration as a regular user.
>
> $ ./standalone.sh -Djboss.server.base.dir=/tmp/ovirt/standalone
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: /tmp/jboss-as/standalone/log/boot.log
> (Permission denied)
>
> Plus the wrong logging.properties get applied.
>
> I think it might be a valid alternative until we get true multi-tenancy,
> but it would require some patching.
>
> Carlo

FWIW, we do have a JIRA for allowing the log configuration and files to
be assignable https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2494.

--
James R. Perkins

Re: AS 7 as a service to local users

Brian Stansberry
On 2/2/12 10:24 AM, James R. Perkins wrote:

> On 2/2/12 04:38, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
>> A cheap intermediate way would be to allow any user to boot up a
>> configuration.
>>
>> As an experiment I installed AS into /tmp/jboss-as as root and tried
>> booting up (a non-existing) ovirt configuration as a regular user.
>>
>> $ ./standalone.sh -Djboss.server.base.dir=/tmp/ovirt/standalone
>> java.io.FileNotFoundException: /tmp/jboss-as/standalone/log/boot.log
>> (Permission denied)
>>
>> Plus the wrong logging.properties get applied.
>>
>> I think it might be a valid alternative until we get true multi-tenancy,
>> but it would require some patching.
>>
>> Carlo
>>
> FWIW, we do have a JIRA for allowing the log configuration and files to
> be assignable https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2494.

See also https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1752 (which incorporates
the issue James linked.)