AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Vimal Kansal
Hi,

I am using console version 1.0.0 Beta15 and find that datasource
configuration is pretty basic. I believe ultimately we will be able to
configure everything about datasource through GUI that we can do through
CLI?

Thx

Vimal

_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Heiko Braun


yes, it's pretty basic indeed.
feel free to comment on https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1368
and describe the things you actually see missing.

Ike

On Jul 22, 2011, at 6:34 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using console version 1.0.0 Beta15 and find that datasource
> configuration is pretty basic. I believe ultimately we will be able to
> configure everything about datasource through GUI that we can do through
> CLI?
>
> Thx
>
> Vimal
>
> _______________________________________________
> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Vimal Kansal
Sure I will. Can you tell me, right now what exactly is planned to be
included in the final product, so that if certain feature is already
planned, I won't include it in my wish list.

Thx

Vimal

On 22/07/2011 5:19 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:

>
> yes, it's pretty basic indeed.
> feel free to comment on https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1368
> and describe the things you actually see missing.
>
> Ike
>
> On Jul 22, 2011, at 6:34 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using console version 1.0.0 Beta15 and find that datasource
>> configuration is pretty basic. I believe ultimately we will be able to
>> configure everything about datasource through GUI that we can do through
>> CLI?
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> Vimal
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Heiko Braun


nothing in particular. the only thing i know of is testing the connection form within the console.
datasource configuration attributes is quiet a  long list.
if we can keep it simple and focus on the frequently used features then it's better IMO.
at least that's the approach we've been talking so far.

Ike

On Jul 22, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:

> Sure I will. Can you tell me, right now what exactly is planned to be included in the final product, so that if certain feature is already planned, I won't include it in my wish list.
>
> Thx
>
> Vimal
>
> On 22/07/2011 5:19 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>
>> yes, it's pretty basic indeed.
>> feel free to comment on https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1368
>> and describe the things you actually see missing.
>>
>> Ike
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2011, at 6:34 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using console version 1.0.0 Beta15 and find that datasource
>>> configuration is pretty basic. I believe ultimately we will be able to
>>> configure everything about datasource through GUI that we can do through
>>> CLI?
>>>
>>> Thx
>>>
>>> Vimal
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
>


_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Vimal Kansal
4 frequently used features that come to mind immediately :

(1) min-pool-size
(2) max-pool-size
(3) prefill pool
(4) flush pool

Of course I agree with you that datasource configuration has lot of
features and I understand your argument that to keep the UI simple, one
would like to limit what gets displayed on the screen. However, this may
lead to an inconsistency of sorts, as using CLI when you execute
:read-resource, you get to see all the configured properties, but when
you use UI, you will see only a subset. I am not sure, how appropriate
it would be to have this inconsistency.

Thx

Vimal

On 22/07/2011 7:55 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:

>
> nothing in particular. the only thing i know of is testing the connection form within the console.
> datasource configuration attributes is quiet a  long list.
> if we can keep it simple and focus on the frequently used features then it's better IMO.
> at least that's the approach we've been talking so far.
>
> Ike
>
> On Jul 22, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>
>> Sure I will. Can you tell me, right now what exactly is planned to be included in the final product, so that if certain feature is already planned, I won't include it in my wish list.
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> Vimal
>>
>> On 22/07/2011 5:19 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>> yes, it's pretty basic indeed.
>>> feel free to comment on https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1368
>>> and describe the things you actually see missing.
>>>
>>> Ike
>>>
>>> On Jul 22, 2011, at 6:34 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I am using console version 1.0.0 Beta15 and find that datasource
>>>> configuration is pretty basic. I believe ultimately we will be able to
>>>> configure everything about datasource through GUI that we can do through
>>>> CLI?
>>>>
>>>> Thx
>>>>
>>>> Vimal
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>>> [hidden email]
>>>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Heiko Braun


The CLI offers low level DMR operation, which offer a lot more possibilities
then the CLI's it's high level commands.

If compare the web interface and the CLI, compare the CLI high level commands to the
web interface. On this level they should remain synced as much as possible.

I am not objecting to implement any nitty gritty dada source configuration option,
but we need to get the priorities straight. Therefore I'd say let's focus on the frequently used
features for sysadmins and developers.

IMO it's fine with to point users to the the CLI for more fine grained configuration options.
("the good of the many outweighs the good of the few"). 

Ike

On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Vimal Kansal wrote:

However, this may lead to an inconsistency of sorts, as using CLI when you execute :read-resource, you get to see all the configured properties, but when you use UI, you will see only a subset. I am not sure, how appropriate it would be to have this inconsistency.


_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Vimal Kansal
See other problem that I see with allowing user to configure only the frequently used properties from GUI, it can lead to a false assumption on part of the user that only these are the properties that are available on the datasource. I wonder, if it is possible to have a dynamic  "property sheet" kind of user interface which displays the list of writeable properties of a resource by querying it; I mean the kind of which we generally see in IDE's.

On 22/07/2011 8:13 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:


The CLI offers low level DMR operation, which offer a lot more possibilities
then the CLI's it's high level commands.

If compare the web interface and the CLI, compare the CLI high level commands to the
web interface. On this level they should remain synced as much as possible.

I am not objecting to implement any nitty gritty dada source configuration option,
but we need to get the priorities straight. Therefore I'd say let's focus on the frequently used
features for sysadmins and developers.

IMO it's fine with to point users to the the CLI for more fine grained configuration options.
("the good of the many outweighs the good of the few"). 

Ike

On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Vimal Kansal wrote:

However, this may lead to an inconsistency of sorts, as using CLI when you execute :read-resource, you get to see all the configured properties, but when you use UI, you will see only a subset. I am not sure, how appropriate it would be to have this inconsistency.


_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Heiko Braun


I do generally like this idea. But if would require some kind of unification across subsystems.
Please see my other email about key/value pairs.

We would need at least a way to distinguish properties of the kind you are asking for from
regular model attributes.

The sub resource approach I described in my other email could do the job.



On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Vimal Kansal wrote:

> See other problem that I see with allowing user to configure only the frequently used properties from GUI, it can lead to a false assumption on part of the user that only these are the properties that are available on the datasource. I wonder, if it is possible to have a dynamic  "property sheet" kind of user interface which displays the list of writeable properties of a resource by querying it; I mean the kind of which we generally see in IDE's.
>
> On 22/07/2011 8:13 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> The CLI offers low level DMR operation, which offer a lot more possibilities
>> then the CLI's it's high level commands.
>>
>> If compare the web interface and the CLI, compare the CLI high level commands to the
>> web interface. On this level they should remain synced as much as possible.
>>
>> I am not objecting to implement any nitty gritty dada source configuration option,
>> but we need to get the priorities straight. Therefore I'd say let's focus on the frequently used
>> features for sysadmins and developers.
>>
>> IMO it's fine with to point users to the the CLI for more fine grained configuration options.
>> ("the good of the many outweighs the good of the few").
>>
>> Ike
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>>
>>> However, this may lead to an inconsistency of sorts, as using CLI when you execute :read-resource, you get to see all the configured properties, but when you use UI, you will see only a subset. I am not sure, how appropriate it would be to have this inconsistency.
>>


_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Vimal Kansal
Yup, to me that sounds like a good approach.

On 22/07/2011 8:55 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:

>
> I do generally like this idea. But if would require some kind of unification across subsystems.
> Please see my other email about key/value pairs.
>
> We would need at least a way to distinguish properties of the kind you are asking for from
> regular model attributes.
>
> The sub resource approach I described in my other email could do the job.
>
>
>
> On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>
>> See other problem that I see with allowing user to configure only the frequently used properties from GUI, it can lead to a false assumption on part of the user that only these are the properties that are available on the datasource. I wonder, if it is possible to have a dynamic  "property sheet" kind of user interface which displays the list of writeable properties of a resource by querying it; I mean the kind of which we generally see in IDE's.
>>
>> On 22/07/2011 8:13 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> The CLI offers low level DMR operation, which offer a lot more possibilities
>>> then the CLI's it's high level commands.
>>>
>>> If compare the web interface and the CLI, compare the CLI high level commands to the
>>> web interface. On this level they should remain synced as much as possible.
>>>
>>> I am not objecting to implement any nitty gritty dada source configuration option,
>>> but we need to get the priorities straight. Therefore I'd say let's focus on the frequently used
>>> features for sysadmins and developers.
>>>
>>> IMO it's fine with to point users to the the CLI for more fine grained configuration options.
>>> ("the good of the many outweighs the good of the few").
>>>
>>> Ike
>>>
>>> On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>>>
>>>> However, this may lead to an inconsistency of sorts, as using CLI when you execute :read-resource, you get to see all the configured properties, but when you use UI, you will see only a subset. I am not sure, how appropriate it would be to have this inconsistency.

_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Jason T. Greene
In reply to this post by Heiko Braun
I'll reply to your other thread but I think this is an orthogonal notion. The descriptions contain value type info (could be incomplete though). From that it should be possible to represent them as a data structure like type.

IMO not only should we allow you to do this, but we should also let the user invoke any operation manually (e.g. list messages in my queue). Further we should eventually be able to display a generic UI for a subsystem we do not know anything about.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 22, 2011, at 5:56 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> I do generally like this idea. But if would require some kind of unification across subsystems.
> Please see my other email about key/value pairs.
>
> We would need at least a way to distinguish properties of the kind you are asking for from
> regular model attributes.
>
> The sub resource approach I described in my other email could do the job.
>
>
>
> On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>
>> See other problem that I see with allowing user to configure only the frequently used properties from GUI, it can lead to a false assumption on part of the user that only these are the properties that are available on the datasource. I wonder, if it is possible to have a dynamic  "property sheet" kind of user interface which displays the list of writeable properties of a resource by querying it; I mean the kind of which we generally see in IDE's.
>>
>> On 22/07/2011 8:13 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The CLI offers low level DMR operation, which offer a lot more possibilities
>>> then the CLI's it's high level commands.
>>>
>>> If compare the web interface and the CLI, compare the CLI high level commands to the
>>> web interface. On this level they should remain synced as much as possible.
>>>
>>> I am not objecting to implement any nitty gritty dada source configuration option,
>>> but we need to get the priorities straight. Therefore I'd say let's focus on the frequently used
>>> features for sysadmins and developers.
>>>
>>> IMO it's fine with to point users to the the CLI for more fine grained configuration options.
>>> ("the good of the many outweighs the good of the few").
>>>
>>> Ike
>>>
>>> On Jul 22, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>>>
>>>> However, this may lead to an inconsistency of sorts, as using CLI when you execute :read-resource, you get to see all the configured properties, but when you use UI, you will see only a subset. I am not sure, how appropriate it would be to have this inconsistency.
>>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Heiko Braun

IMO we already have that: It's the CLI.

On Jul 23, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

Further we should eventually be able to display a generic UI for a subsystem we do not know anything about.


_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AS7.1.0 Alpha1 - Datasoure configuration

Jason T. Greene
Part of the value of having unified interfaces is that a user doesn't have to jump between them to get a set of tasks done.

On Jul 25, 2011, at 5:07 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:


IMO we already have that: It's the CLI.

On Jul 23, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

Further we should eventually be able to display a generic UI for a subsystem we do not know anything about.


_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev