AS7 Utility Script Location

Darran Lofthouse
As we are progressing the AS7 development more scripts need to be added
to be executed for the end users to use, if we keep adding these to the
bin folder it is potentially getting more and more confusing for end
users to know where to start after unzipping their AS install.

So far we have a group of scripts for JBossWS, Anil is about to add
something to operate in the vault he is providing, I am about to add
something for generating the pre-hashed passwords for the Digest
mechanisms used for domain management and finally we have the CLI.

Any objections / alternative ideas to us adding a util folder to the bin
folder to hold all of these utility scripts?

Re: AS7 Utility Script Location

Jaikiran Pai
On a related note, how are these utility scripts tested to make sure
that we don't end up with stale/non-functional scripts in a release?

-Jaikiran
On Tuesday 20 September 2011 09:09 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> As we are progressing the AS7 development more scripts need to be added
> to be executed for the end users to use, if we keep adding these to the
> bin folder it is potentially getting more and more confusing for end
> users to know where to start after unzipping their AS install.
>
> So far we have a group of scripts for JBossWS, Anil is about to add
> something to operate in the vault he is providing, I am about to add
> something for generating the pre-hashed passwords for the Digest
> mechanisms used for domain management and finally we have the CLI.
>
> Any objections / alternative ideas to us adding a util folder to the bin
> folder to hold all of these utility scripts?
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: AS7 Utility Script Location

Anil Saldhana
I would also suggest the current bin/scripts be changed to bin/cli
which contains the *.cli stuff.

> As we are progressing the AS7 development more scripts need to be added
> to be executed for the end users to use, if we keep adding these to the
> bin folder it is potentially getting more and more confusing for end
> users to know where to start after unzipping their AS install.
>
> So far we have a group of scripts for JBossWS, Anil is about to add
> something to operate in the vault he is providing, I am about to add
> something for generating the pre-hashed passwords for the Digest
> mechanisms used for domain management and finally we have the CLI.
>
> Any objections / alternative ideas to us adding a util folder to the bin
> folder to hold all of these utility scripts?
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: AS7 Utility Script Location

Alessio Soldano
The jbossws scripts (wsconsume/wsprovide) are tested as part of the
jbossws testsuite.
Cheers
Alessio

On 09/20/2011 05:42 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> On a related note, how are these utility scripts tested to make sure
> that we don't end up with stale/non-functional scripts in a release?
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Tuesday 20 September 2011 09:09 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> As we are progressing the AS7 development more scripts need to be added
>> to be executed for the end users to use, if we keep adding these to the
>> bin folder it is potentially getting more and more confusing for end
>> users to know where to start after unzipping their AS install.
>>
>> So far we have a group of scripts for JBossWS, Anil is about to add
>> something to operate in the vault he is providing, I am about to add
>> something for generating the pre-hashed passwords for the Digest
>> mechanisms used for domain management and finally we have the CLI.
>>
>> Any objections / alternative ideas to us adding a util folder to the bin
>> folder to hold all of these utility scripts?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.

Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: AS7 Utility Script Location

Anil Saldhana
We should definitely review before dumping new utility scripts in that
folder. :)

On 09/20/2011 10:42 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> On a related note, how are these utility scripts tested to make sure
> that we don't end up with stale/non-functional scripts in a release?
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Tuesday 20 September 2011 09:09 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> As we are progressing the AS7 development more scripts need to be added
>> to be executed for the end users to use, if we keep adding these to the
>> bin folder it is potentially getting more and more confusing for end
>> users to know where to start after unzipping their AS install.
>>
>> So far we have a group of scripts for JBossWS, Anil is about to add
>> something to operate in the vault he is providing, I am about to add
>> something for generating the pre-hashed passwords for the Digest
>> mechanisms used for domain management and finally we have the CLI.
>>
>> Any objections / alternative ideas to us adding a util folder to the bin
>> folder to hold all of these utility scripts?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: AS7 Utility Script Location

We are planning to remove those scripts anyway soon so that folder can
be removed.

On 09/20/2011 04:43 PM, Anil Saldhana wrote:

> I would also suggest the current bin/scripts be changed to bin/cli
> which contains the *.cli stuff.
>

> On 09/20/2011 10:39 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> As we are progressing the AS7 development more scripts need to be added
>> to be executed for the end users to use, if we keep adding these to the
>> bin folder it is potentially getting more and more confusing for end
>> users to know where to start after unzipping their AS install.
>>
>> So far we have a group of scripts for JBossWS, Anil is about to add
>> something to operate in the vault he is providing, I am about to add
>> something for generating the pre-hashed passwords for the Digest
>> mechanisms used for domain management and finally we have the CLI.
>>
>> Any objections / alternative ideas to us adding a util folder to the bin
>> folder to hold all of these utility scripts?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: AS7 Utility Script Location

Alessio,

If we create the util folder can I pass an issue your way to update your
scripts to the new location so we don't break your testsuite?

On 09/20/2011 04:44 PM, Alessio Soldano wrote:

> The jbossws scripts (wsconsume/wsprovide) are tested as part of the
> jbossws testsuite.
> Cheers
> Alessio
>
> On 09/20/2011 05:42 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> On a related note, how are these utility scripts tested to make sure
>> that we don't end up with stale/non-functional scripts in a release?
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Tuesday 20 September 2011 09:09 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>> As we are progressing the AS7 development more scripts need to be added
>>> to be executed for the end users to use, if we keep adding these to the
>>> bin folder it is potentially getting more and more confusing for end
>>> users to know where to start after unzipping their AS install.
>>>
>>> So far we have a group of scripts for JBossWS, Anil is about to add
>>> something to operate in the vault he is providing, I am about to add
>>> something for generating the pre-hashed passwords for the Digest
>>> mechanisms used for domain management and finally we have the CLI.
>>>
>>> Any objections / alternative ideas to us adding a util folder to the bin
>>> folder to hold all of these utility scripts?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: AS7 Utility Script Location

Alessio Soldano
Yes, no problem

On 09/20/2011 06:03 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> Alessio,
>
> If we create the util folder can I pass an issue your way to update your
> scripts to the new location so we don't break your testsuite?
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 09/20/2011 04:44 PM, Alessio Soldano wrote:
>> The jbossws scripts (wsconsume/wsprovide) are tested as part of the
>> jbossws testsuite.
>> Cheers
>> Alessio
>>
>> On 09/20/2011 05:42 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>>> On a related note, how are these utility scripts tested to make sure
>>> that we don't end up with stale/non-functional scripts in a release?
>>>
>>> -Jaikiran

Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: AS7 Utility Script Location

Misty Stanley-Jones
If you are changing and adding scripts, please let the Docs team (or even just me) know what the script is for and how it works. It's much better not to make us guess. Thanks!

> We should definitely review before dumping new utility scripts in
> that
> folder. :)
>
> On 09/20/2011 10:42 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> > On a related note, how are these utility scripts tested to make
> > sure
> > that we don't end up with stale/non-functional scripts in a
> > release?
> >
> > -Jaikiran
> > On Tuesday 20 September 2011 09:09 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
> >> As we are progressing the AS7 development more scripts need to be
> >> added
> >> to be executed for the end users to use, if we keep adding these
> >> to the
> >> bin folder it is potentially getting more and more confusing for
> >> end
> >> users to know where to start after unzipping their AS install.
> >>
> >> So far we have a group of scripts for JBossWS, Anil is about to
> >> add
> >> something to operate in the vault he is providing, I am about to
> >> add
> >> something for generating the pre-hashed passwords for the Digest
> >> mechanisms used for domain management and finally we have the CLI.
> >>
> >> Any objections / alternative ideas to us adding a util folder to
> >> the bin
> >> folder to hold all of these utility scripts?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Darran Lofthouse.

Misty Stanley-Jones, RHCE
Content Author, ECS Brisbane
☺: misty (Freenode IRC) ✉: [hidden email] ☏: + 61 7 3514 8105 ☏: 88105