AS7 XSDs

Wolfgang Knauf
Hi all,

probably a dumb question, but I ask it anyway ;-): all previous JBoss
versions had JBoss specific deployment descriptors for the JavaEE
modules (jboss.xml, jboss-web.xml, jboss-app.xml, jboss-client.xml).

Brian updated the DTD/XSD wiki at
http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossDTDs and I see that e.g.
"jboss_7_0.xsd" still exists.

But when taking a look at e.g. "standalone.xml", it seems that the "new"
xsds are used for module specific parts of this big config file. So, is
there some equivalent to e.g. "jboss.xml" for ejb modules in AS7. or
will a "jboss.xml" in the ejb jar have the same effect as adding it's
content to an appropriate location in "standalone.xml"?

Best regards

Wolfgang Knauf

Re: AS7 XSDs

Brian Stansberry
On 7/12/11 3:22 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> probably a dumb question, but I ask it anyway ;-):

Not dumb at all.

all previous JBoss
> versions had JBoss specific deployment descriptors for the JavaEE
> modules (jboss.xml, jboss-web.xml, jboss-app.xml, jboss-client.xml).

Not including those in the dist was an oversight, aka a bug. I noticed
that a couple hours ago:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1263

> Brian updated the DTD/XSD wiki at
> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossDTDs and I see that e.g.
> "jboss_7_0.xsd" still exists.
>
> But when taking a look at e.g. "standalone.xml", it seems that the "new"
> xsds are used for module specific parts of this big config file. So, is
> there some equivalent to e.g. "jboss.xml" for ejb modules in AS7. or
> will a "jboss.xml" in the ejb jar have the same effect as adding it's
> content to an appropriate location in "standalone.xml"?

No, deployment-specific configuration a la jboss.xml, web.xml,
jboss-web.xml does not go in standalone.xml or domain.xml. The
descriptor files should be packaged in the deployment archive as was
done with previous JBoss AS releases.

> Best regards
>
> Wolfgang Knauf

Re: AS7 XSDs

Wolfgang Knauf
Hi Brian,

see below....

Von: Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Datum: 12.07.2011 22:48

 > On 7/12/11 3:22 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
 >
 > all previous JBoss
 >> versions had JBoss specific deployment descriptors for the JavaEE
 >> modules (jboss.xml, jboss-web.xml, jboss-app.xml, jboss-client.xml).
 >>
 >
 > Not including those in the dist was an oversight, aka a bug. I noticed
 > that a couple hours ago:
 >
 > https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1263
 >
 >> Brian updated the DTD/XSD wiki at
 >> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossDTDs and I see that e.g.
 >> "jboss_7_0.xsd" still exists.
 >>
 >> But when taking a look at e.g. "standalone.xml", it seems that the "new"
 >> xsds are used for module specific parts of this big config file. So, is
 >> there some equivalent to e.g. "jboss.xml" for ejb modules in AS7. or
 >> will a "jboss.xml" in the ejb jar have the same effect as adding it's
 >> content to an appropriate location in "standalone.xml"?
 >>
 >
 > No, deployment-specific configuration a la jboss.xml, web.xml,
 > jboss-web.xml does not go in standalone.xml or domain.xml. The
 > descriptor files should be packaged in the deployment archive as was
 > done with previous JBoss AS releases.

So, to sum it up:
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/7.0.0.Final/build/src/main/resources/docs/schema/jboss-web.xsd
is for configuring the web subsystem in "standalone.xml", *not* for the
JBoss specific options in a web module?

And there will also be xsd files for the module specific options, e.g.
the equivalent to http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/schema/jboss-web_6_0.xsd ?

If my understanding is correct, the naming of the server config xsd
files is confusing, because a "jboss-7_0.xsd" will be something
different than "jboss_6_0.xsd".

Best regards

Wolfgang

Re: AS7 XSDs

On 7/13/11 3:06 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> see below....
>

> Von: Brian Stansberry<[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Datum: 12.07.2011 22:48
>
>   >  On 7/12/11 3:22 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
>   >
>   >  all previous JBoss
>   >>  versions had JBoss specific deployment descriptors for the JavaEE
>   >>  modules (jboss.xml, jboss-web.xml, jboss-app.xml, jboss-client.xml).
>   >>
>   >
>   >  Not including those in the dist was an oversight, aka a bug. I noticed
>   >  that a couple hours ago:
>   >
>   >  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1263
>   >
>   >>  Brian updated the DTD/XSD wiki at
>   >>  http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossDTDs and I see that e.g.
>   >>  "jboss_7_0.xsd" still exists.
>   >>
>   >>  But when taking a look at e.g. "standalone.xml", it seems that the "new"
>   >>  xsds are used for module specific parts of this big config file. So, is
>   >>  there some equivalent to e.g. "jboss.xml" for ejb modules in AS7. or
>   >>  will a "jboss.xml" in the ejb jar have the same effect as adding it's
>   >>  content to an appropriate location in "standalone.xml"?
>   >>
>   >
>   >  No, deployment-specific configuration a la jboss.xml, web.xml,
>   >  jboss-web.xml does not go in standalone.xml or domain.xml. The
>   >  descriptor files should be packaged in the deployment archive as was
>   >  done with previous JBoss AS releases.
>   >
>
> So, to sum it up:
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/7.0.0.Final/build/src/main/resources/docs/schema/jboss-web.xsd
> is for configuring the web subsystem in "standalone.xml", *not* for the
> JBoss specific options in a web module?
>
> And there will also be xsd files for the module specific options, e.g.
> the equivalent to http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/schema/jboss-web_6_0.xsd ?
>
> If my understanding is correct, the naming of the server config xsd
> files is confusing, because a "jboss-7_0.xsd" will be something
> different than "jboss_6_0.xsd".

Yeah (Egg -> Our faces) on this one. I don't know what that never
occurred to me.

Re: AS7 XSDs

On 7/13/11 3:06 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> see below....
>

> Von: Brian Stansberry<[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Datum: 12.07.2011 22:48
>
>   >  On 7/12/11 3:22 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
>   >
>   >  all previous JBoss
>   >>  versions had JBoss specific deployment descriptors for the JavaEE
>   >>  modules (jboss.xml, jboss-web.xml, jboss-app.xml, jboss-client.xml).
>   >>
>   >
>   >  Not including those in the dist was an oversight, aka a bug. I noticed
>   >  that a couple hours ago:
>   >
>   >  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1263
>   >
>   >>  Brian updated the DTD/XSD wiki at
>   >>  http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossDTDs and I see that e.g.
>   >>  "jboss_7_0.xsd" still exists.
>   >>
>   >>  But when taking a look at e.g. "standalone.xml", it seems that the "new"
>   >>  xsds are used for module specific parts of this big config file. So, is
>   >>  there some equivalent to e.g. "jboss.xml" for ejb modules in AS7. or
>   >>  will a "jboss.xml" in the ejb jar have the same effect as adding it's
>   >>  content to an appropriate location in "standalone.xml"?
>   >>
>   >
>   >  No, deployment-specific configuration a la jboss.xml, web.xml,
>   >  jboss-web.xml does not go in standalone.xml or domain.xml. The
>   >  descriptor files should be packaged in the deployment archive as was
>   >  done with previous JBoss AS releases.
>   >
>
> So, to sum it up:
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/7.0.0.Final/build/src/main/resources/docs/schema/jboss-web.xsd
> is for configuring the web subsystem in "standalone.xml", *not* for the
> JBoss specific options in a web module?

Correct.

> And there will also be xsd files for the module specific options, e.g.
> the equivalent to http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/schema/jboss-web_6_0.xsd ?

Yes, https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1263 is to get those included
in the dist.

> If my understanding is correct, the naming of the server config xsd
> files is confusing, because a "jboss-7_0.xsd" will be something
> different than "jboss_6_0.xsd".

Yep. Kind of a big DOH!! moment. Looking at the jboss-metadata project
where these deployment descriptor dtds/xsds come from, I see no
jboss_6_0.xsd, just jboss_6_0.dtd. And no 7_0 xsd or dtd. But still,
it's a naming conflict that's bound to bite us unless fixed.

I recommend these server config xds all be renamed to
jboss-as-XXX_1_0.xsd. They all have an xmlns of
urn:jboss:domain:XXX:1.0, not 7.0, which IMO is fine since they may get
revved independently of community AS releases.

> Best regards
>
> Wolfgang

Re: AS7 XSDs

Wolfgang Knauf
Hi,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: [jboss-as7-dev] AS7 XSDs
Von: Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]>
CC: [hidden email]
Datum: 13.07.2011 22:34

>> On 7/13/11 3:06 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:

>> If my understanding is correct, the naming of the server config xsd
>> files is confusing, because a "jboss-7_0.xsd" will be something
>> different than "jboss_6_0.xsd".
>>

> Yep. Kind of a big DOH!! moment. Looking at the jboss-metadata project
> where these deployment descriptor dtds/xsds come from, I see no
> jboss_6_0.xsd, just jboss_6_0.dtd. And no 7_0 xsd or dtd. But still,
> it's a naming conflict that's bound to bite us unless fixed.
>
> I recommend these server config xds all be renamed to
> jboss-as-XXX_1_0.xsd. They all have an xmlns of
> urn:jboss:domain:XXX:1.0, not 7.0, which IMO is fine since they may get
> revved independently of community AS releases.

Is there something more I should do - e.g. filing a JIRA issue? Or will
it be fixed by "miracle" ;-) or has someone this already on his todo list ?

Best regards

Wolfgang

Re: AS7 XSDs

Brian Stansberry
On 7/14/11 3:05 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: [jboss-as7-dev] AS7 XSDs
> Von: Brian Stansberry<[hidden email]>
> CC: [hidden email]
> Datum: 13.07.2011 22:34
>
>>> On 7/13/11 3:06 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
>

>>> If my understanding is correct, the naming of the server config xsd
>>> files is confusing, because a "jboss-7_0.xsd" will be something
>>> different than "jboss_6_0.xsd".
>>>

>> Yep. Kind of a big DOH!! moment. Looking at the jboss-metadata project
>> where these deployment descriptor dtds/xsds come from, I see no
>> jboss_6_0.xsd, just jboss_6_0.dtd. And no 7_0 xsd or dtd. But still,
>> it's a naming conflict that's bound to bite us unless fixed.
>>
>> I recommend these server config xds all be renamed to
>> jboss-as-XXX_1_0.xsd. They all have an xmlns of
>> urn:jboss:domain:XXX:1.0, not 7.0, which IMO is fine since they may get
>> revved independently of community AS releases.
>>

> Is there something more I should do - e.g. filing a JIRA issue? Or will
> it be fixed by "miracle" ;-) or has someone this already on his todo list ?

If you could file a JIRA and assign it to me, Fix Version 7.0.1.Final,
I'd appreciate it.

Re: AS7 XSDs

Wolfgang Knauf
Done: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1292

But it seems I am not allowed to assign issues, thus it is currently for
Jason (default?).

Best

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Von: Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Datum: 14.07.2011 22:31

> On 7/14/11 3:05 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Betreff: Re: [jboss-as7-dev] AS7 XSDs
>> Von: Brian Stansberry<[hidden email]>
>> CC: [hidden email]
>> Datum: 13.07.2011 22:34

>>> Yep. Kind of a big DOH!! moment. Looking at the jboss-metadata project
>>> where these deployment descriptor dtds/xsds come from, I see no
>>> jboss_6_0.xsd, just jboss_6_0.dtd. And no 7_0 xsd or dtd. But still,
>>> it's a naming conflict that's bound to bite us unless fixed.
>>>
>>> I recommend these server config xds all be renamed to
>>> jboss-as-XXX_1_0.xsd. They all have an xmlns of
>>> urn:jboss:domain:XXX:1.0, not 7.0, which IMO is fine since they may get
>>> revved independently of community AS releases.
>>>

>> Is there something more I should do - e.g. filing a JIRA issue? Or will
>> it be fixed by "miracle" ;-) or has someone this already on his todo
>> list ?
>>

> If you could file a JIRA and assign it to me, Fix Version 7.0.1.Final,
> I'd appreciate it.

Re: AS7 XSDs

Brian Stansberry
Thanks. I've assigned it to myself.

Seems like a good Friday afternoon task!