AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Vimal Kansal
I wonder if that is on the agenda?

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Jaikiran Pai
Isn't it the same as "quit" which is already available? Or do you mean
something else?

By the way, from what I remember of the early design discussions, the
CLI doesn't maintain a connection with the management server. Each CLI
operation/command connects to be server. So the CLI is really
"disconnected" from the server.

-Jaikiran
On Wednesday 02 November 2011 09:05 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
> I wonder if that is on the agenda?

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Bob McWhirter
I *love* the disconnected aspect, but it can get confused if you swap out the domain-mode server on port 9990 with a standalone on 9990.  The CLI does maintain some state regarding the type of API it's "connected" to.

Not that that's a very common or useful use-case, but...

        -Bob

On Nov 1, 2011, at 11:47 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> Isn't it the same as "quit" which is already available? Or do you mean
> something else?
>
> By the way, from what I remember of the early design discussions, the
> CLI doesn't maintain a connection with the management server. Each CLI
> operation/command connects to be server. So the CLI is really
> "disconnected" from the server.
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Wednesday 02 November 2011 09:05 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>> I wonder if that is on the agenda?

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Vimal Kansal
Actually when you execute "quit", you come out of jboss-admin and are on
shell prompt.

On 2/11/2011 2:47 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> Isn't it the same as "quit" which is already available? Or do you mean
> something else?
>
> By the way, from what I remember of the early design discussions, the
> CLI doesn't maintain a connection with the management server. Each CLI
> operation/command connects to be server. So the CLI is really
> "disconnected" from the server.
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Wednesday 02 November 2011 09:05 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>> I wonder if that is on the agenda?

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Alexey Loubyansky
Having 'connect' it sounds like a logical addition. But what would be a
use-case?

If you need to re-connect to another controller you can execute
'connect' again with the corresponding arguments. It'll disconnect and
connect to the new controller.

On 11/02/2011 04:35 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
> I wonder if that is on the agenda?

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Nicklas Karlsson
Perhaps a usecase would be for running cross-server scripts?

batch start
  connect to server1
  do stuff
  disconnect
  connect to server2
  do stuff
batch run

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Alexey Loubyansky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having 'connect' it sounds like a logical addition. But what would be a
use-case?

If you need to re-connect to another controller you can execute
'connect' again with the corresponding arguments. It'll disconnect and
connect to the new controller.

On 11/02/2011 04:35 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
> I wonder if that is on the agenda?

---
Nik

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Vimal Kansal
Yup, that is precisely the use case I had in mind but then I realise 'disconnect' is not required as when I issue the second connect, I am assuming, I get disconnected from frist. Correct me please if I am wrong.

On 2/11/2011 6:01 PM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
Perhaps a usecase would be for running cross-server scripts?

batch start
  connect to server1
  do stuff
  disconnect
  connect to server2
  do stuff
batch run

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Alexey Loubyansky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having 'connect' it sounds like a logical addition. But what would be a
use-case?

If you need to re-connect to another controller you can execute
'connect' again with the corresponding arguments. It'll disconnect and
connect to the new controller.

On 11/02/2011 04:35 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
> I wonder if that is on the agenda?

---
Nik

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Alexey Loubyansky
As I wrote, 'connect' will disconnect first if connected before
connecting to the new controller.

On 11/02/2011 08:01 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> Perhaps a usecase would be for running cross-server scripts?
>
> batch start
>    connect to server1
>    do stuff
>    disconnect
>    connect to server2
>    do stuff
> batch run
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Alexey Loubyansky
>
>     Having 'connect' it sounds like a logical addition. But what would be a
>     use-case?
>
>     If you need to re-connect to another controller you can execute
>     'connect' again with the corresponding arguments. It'll disconnect and
>     connect to the new controller.
>
>     On 11/02/2011 04:35 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>      > I wonder if that is on the agenda?
>      >
>      > jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>      > https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

> ---
> Nik

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

Vimal Kansal
Yup that is clear now.

Thx

Vimal

On 2/11/2011 8:09 PM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:

> As I wrote, 'connect' will disconnect first if connected before
> connecting to the new controller.
>
> On 11/02/2011 08:01 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
>> Perhaps a usecase would be for running cross-server scripts?
>>
>> batch start
>>     connect to server1
>>     do stuff
>>     disconnect
>>     connect to server2
>>     do stuff
>> batch run
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Alexey Loubyansky
>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>  wrote:
>>
>>      Having 'connect' it sounds like a logical addition. But what would be a
>>      use-case?
>>
>>      If you need to re-connect to another controller you can execute
>>      'connect' again with the corresponding arguments. It'll disconnect and
>>      connect to the new controller.
>>
>>      On 11/02/2011 04:35 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>>       >  I wonder if that is on the agenda?
>>       >
>>       >  _______________________________________________
>>       >  jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>       >  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>>       >  https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

>> ---
>> Nik

Re: AS7 jboss-admin : Can we have a 'disconnect' command?

kkhan

On 2 Nov 2011, at 03:47, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> Isn't it the same as "quit" which is already available? Or do you mean
> something else?
>
> By the way, from what I remember of the early design discussions, the
> CLI doesn't maintain a connection with the management server. Each CLI
> operation/command connects to be server. So the CLI is really
> "disconnected" from the server.
Yes, this is why starting and stopping the AS while for example testing, but leaving CLI in the 'connected' state works