Administrator Encouragement

Darran Lofthouse
Last week a few of us started talking about the possibility of adding a
capability to WildFly that for want of a better name I was calling
"Administrator Encouragement".

I am not looking for this to be a design thread, that can come later but
the general principal was that subsystems could register warnings with
some kind of central service that admin tools could then retrieve later
to advise administrators that some configuration could be required to
improve their installation.  Warnings would potentially have a severity
level and tooling would potentially have the option to guide the user to
the correct place to resolve the issue.

Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
hearing any additional ideas.

  - SSL is not configured.
  - SSL certificates are due to expire.
  - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
  - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
  - Default node name  has not been changed.
  - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.

Anyway these are just a few ideas and interested in hearing any more.

Re: Administrator Encouragement

Lin Gao

like: The war application is using a jar already shipped in the application server, and in some cases the versions of the jars are different.

 :-)

Best Regards
--
Lin Gao
Software Engineer

Hielke Hoeve
An awesome idea! Here are some potential other triggers we currently have configured using 3rd party systems.

- Thread/Connection pools usage (draining?)
- Head/Non Heap usage (maxed out?)
- CPU usage
- Request times

Regards

Hielke Hoeve

> On 05 Feb 2015, at 10:00, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Last week a few of us started talking about the possibility of adding a
> capability to WildFly that for want of a better name I was calling
> "Administrator Encouragement".
>
> I am not looking for this to be a design thread, that can come later but
> the general principal was that subsystems could register warnings with
> some kind of central service that admin tools could then retrieve later
> to advise administrators that some configuration could be required to
> improve their installation.  Warnings would potentially have a severity
> level and tooling would potentially have the option to guide the user to
> the correct place to resolve the issue.
>
> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
> hearing any additional ideas.
>
>  - SSL is not configured.
>  - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>  - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>  - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>  - Default node name  has not been changed.
>  - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>
> Anyway these are just a few ideas and interested in hearing any more.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: Administrator Encouragement

Dimitris Andreadis
Oh, the memories

https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/ActiveAlarmTable

On 05/02/2015 10:00, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> Last week a few of us started talking about the possibility of adding a
> capability to WildFly that for want of a better name I was calling
> "Administrator Encouragement".
>
> I am not looking for this to be a design thread, that can come later but
> the general principal was that subsystems could register warnings with
> some kind of central service that admin tools could then retrieve later
> to advise administrators that some configuration could be required to
> improve their installation.  Warnings would potentially have a severity
> level and tooling would potentially have the option to guide the user to
> the correct place to resolve the issue.
>
> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
> hearing any additional ideas.
>
>    - SSL is not configured.
>    - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>    - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>    - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>    - Default node name  has not been changed.
>    - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>
> Anyway these are just a few ideas and interested in hearing any more.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: Administrator Encouragement

> On Feb 5, 2015, at 3:00 AM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Last week a few of us started talking about the possibility of adding a
> capability to WildFly that for want of a better name I was calling
> "Administrator Encouragement”.

Recommendations is a much better term.

When I hear encouragement i keep thinking it says:

“Wow you are a super awesome Administrator!”
“Looking good!”
“Excellent choice! I would have updated that value too!”
“You can click yes, I’m sure it will all work out!"

> I am not looking for this to be a design thread, that can come later but
> the general principal was that subsystems could register warnings with
> some kind of central service that admin tools could then retrieve later
> to advise administrators that some configuration could be required to
> improve their installation.  Warnings would potentially have a severity
> level and tooling would potentially have the option to guide the user to
> the correct place to resolve the issue.
>
> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
> hearing any additional ideas.
>
>  - SSL is not configured.
>  - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>  - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>  - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>  - Default node name  has not been changed.
>  - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>
> Anyway these are just a few ideas and interested in hearing any more.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: Administrator Encouragement

Radoslaw Rodak
Adding scripting language arround  CLI should do the job :-)

Radek

On 05/02/15 22:12, Jason Greene wrote:

>> On Feb 5, 2015, at 3:00 AM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Last week a few of us started talking about the possibility of adding a
>> capability to WildFly that for want of a better name I was calling
>> "Administrator Encouragement”.
>
> Recommendations is a much better term.
>
> When I hear encouragement i keep thinking it says:
>
> “Wow you are a super awesome Administrator!”
> “Looking good!”
> “Excellent choice! I would have updated that value too!”
> “You can click yes, I’m sure it will all work out!"

If someone wants some experience writing a subsystem they could even use
this capability to contact a remote service and download an
inspirational message for the day to present to their administrators ;-)

On 05/02/15 22:07, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
> Oh, the memories
>
> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/ActiveAlarmTable

And we have our first contributor ;-)

> On 05/02/2015 10:00, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Last week a few of us started talking about the possibility of adding a
>> capability to WildFly that for want of a better name I was calling
>> "Administrator Encouragement".
>>
>> I am not looking for this to be a design thread, that can come later but
>> the general principal was that subsystems could register warnings with
>> some kind of central service that admin tools could then retrieve later
>> to advise administrators that some configuration could be required to
>> improve their installation.  Warnings would potentially have a severity
>> level and tooling would potentially have the option to guide the user to
>> the correct place to resolve the issue.
>>
>> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
>> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
>> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
>> hearing any additional ideas.
>>
>>     - SSL is not configured.
>>     - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>>     - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>>     - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>>     - Default node name  has not been changed.
>>     - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>>
>> Anyway these are just a few ideas and interested in hearing any more.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: Administrator Encouragement

Stan Silvert
On 2/5/2015 6:14 PM, Radoslaw Rodak wrote:
> Adding scripting language arround  CLI should do the job :-)
You mean this?
https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/AdvancedCLIScriptingWithGroovyRhinoJythonEtc

I'm not sure what you mean.

> Radek
>

> Am 05.02.2015 um 23:12 schrieb Jason Greene <[hidden email]>:
>
>>> On Feb 5, 2015, at 3:00 AM, Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Last week a few of us started talking about the possibility of adding a
>>> capability to WildFly that for want of a better name I was calling
>>> "Administrator Encouragement”.
>> Recommendations is a much better term.
>>
>> When I hear encouragement i keep thinking it says:
>>
>> “Wow you are a super awesome Administrator!”
>> “Looking good!”
>> “Excellent choice! I would have updated that value too!”
>> “You can click yes, I’m sure it will all work out!"
>>
>>> I am not looking for this to be a design thread, that can come later but
>>> the general principal was that subsystems could register warnings with
>>> some kind of central service that admin tools could then retrieve later
>>> to advise administrators that some configuration could be required to
>>> improve their installation.  Warnings would potentially have a severity
>>> level and tooling would potentially have the option to guide the user to
>>> the correct place to resolve the issue.
>>>
>>> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
>>> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
>>> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
>>> hearing any additional ideas.
>>>
>>> - SSL is not configured.
>>> - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>>> - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>>> - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>>> - Default node name  has not been changed.
>>> - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>>>
>>> Anyway these are just a few ideas and interested in hearing any more.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Darran Lofthouse.
>> Jason T. Greene
>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: Administrator Encouragement

Radoslaw Rodak
Yes!

Very Nice!

1+

Am 06.02.2015 um 13:37 schrieb Stan Silvert <[hidden email]>:

> On 2/5/2015 6:14 PM, Radoslaw Rodak wrote:
>> Adding scripting language arround  CLI should do the job :-)
> You mean this?
> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/AdvancedCLIScriptingWithGroovyRhinoJythonEtc
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.
>>
>> Radek

>>> Recommendations is a much better term.
>>>
>>> When I hear encouragement i keep thinking it says:
>>>
>>> “Wow you are a super awesome Administrator!”
>>> “Looking good!”
>>> “Excellent choice! I would have updated that value too!”
>>> “You can click yes, I’m sure it will all work out!"

>>> Jason T. Greene
>>> WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: Administrator Encouragement

James Livingston
On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 09:00 +0000, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
> hearing any additional ideas.
>
>   - SSL is not configured.
>   - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>   - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>   - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>   - Default node name  has not been changed.
>   - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.

If you're thinking about runtime warnings, as opposed to plain
administrative actions that should be taken, there are some things which
are WARN/ERROR in logs that may be good to show too so they don't get
lost. For example timeouts acquiring pooled resources, such as EJBs
instances or JDBC connections, which may indicate problems or
mis-configuration.

I have a half-baked idea about detecting excessive GC pauses in managed
servers, which if it worked could make a useful runtime warning.

--
James Livingston
JBoss Support Engineering Group

Re: Administrator Encouragement

Ladislav Thon
On 8.2.2015 23:28, James Livingston wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 09:00 +0000, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
>> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
>> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
>> hearing any additional ideas.
>>
>>   - SSL is not configured.
>>   - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>>   - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>>   - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>>   - Default node name  has not been changed.
>>   - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>
> If you're thinking about runtime warnings, as opposed to plain
> administrative actions that should be taken, there are some things which
> are WARN/ERROR in logs that may be good to show too so they don't get
> lost. For example timeouts acquiring pooled resources, such as EJBs
> instances or JDBC connections, which may indicate problems or
> mis-configuration.
>
> I have a half-baked idea about detecting excessive GC pauses in managed
> servers, which if it worked could make a useful runtime warning.

Can't you just use jHiccup?

LT

Re: Administrator Encouragement

Thomas Heute
Sounds good, please make it consumable by 3rd party solutions ;)

This would be great in combination with predictable alerts that we have
on our todo. ("At this rate your disk will be full in 1 month, time to
do something")

Thomas

On 2/8/15 4:28 PM, James Livingston wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 09:00 +0000, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
>> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
>> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
>> hearing any additional ideas.
>>
>>    - SSL is not configured.
>>    - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>>    - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>>    - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>>    - Default node name  has not been changed.
>>    - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>
> If you're thinking about runtime warnings, as opposed to plain
> administrative actions that should be taken, there are some things which
> are WARN/ERROR in logs that may be good to show too so they don't get
> lost. For example timeouts acquiring pooled resources, such as EJBs
> instances or JDBC connections, which may indicate problems or
> mis-configuration.
>
> I have a half-baked idea about detecting excessive GC pauses in managed
> servers, which if it worked could make a useful runtime warning.

This is drifting into a general notification and alerting tool, which is
a natural direction to go.

Darran, do you have any thoughts on the boundaries between what you
envisioned and full fledged notification and/or alerting tool?

Senior Principal Software Engineer

On 09/02/15 14:40, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> On 2/8/15 4:28 PM, James Livingston wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 09:00 +0000, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>> Anyway the purpose of this thread is that I wanted to try and gather
>>> together the kinds of warnings that we could be outputting, below is a
>>> list of some I have thought of already but would be interested in
>>> hearing any additional ideas.
>>>
>>>     - SSL is not configured.
>>>     - SSL certificates are due to expire.
>>>     - Plain text password detected in the configuration.
>>>     - Some form of file based storage in use but growing beyond intended size.
>>>     - Default node name  has not been changed.
>>>     - Patches available but not applied, subsequent releases available.
>>
>> If you're thinking about runtime warnings, as opposed to plain
>> administrative actions that should be taken, there are some things which
>> are WARN/ERROR in logs that may be good to show too so they don't get
>> lost. For example timeouts acquiring pooled resources, such as EJBs
>> instances or JDBC connections, which may indicate problems or
>> mis-configuration.
>>
>> I have a half-baked idea about detecting excessive GC pauses in managed
>> servers, which if it worked could make a useful runtime warning.
>>

> This is drifting into a general notification and alerting tool, which is
> a natural direction to go.
>
> Darran, do you have any thoughts on the boundaries between what you
> envisioned and full fledged notification and/or alerting tool?

That is kind of what I am trying to explore with this thread.  The types
of notifications I know I need are fairly simple for me to design
something around but I am trying to see the other kinds of notifications
we could consider so we don't design ourselves away from being able to
add them in the future.