Apache Lucene modules for WildFly : evolution

Apache Lucene modules for WildFly : evolution

Sanne Grinovero
# Context

historically the Hibernate Search project released modules for
WildFly, so that people could use the latest version of it w/o having
to wait for WildFly to upgrade it and release.

This zip we distribute would also include updated modules for Apache Lucene.

We have now separated the Lucene modules into their own repository, so
that other projects (e.g. Infinispan) can use the same modules.

In case you want to have a look, the POC is hosted at:
 - https://github.com/hibernate/lucene-modules

We planned to deploy this zip file as a Maven artifact under
coordinates "org.hibernate.lucene-modules:lucene-modules:lucene-modules".

# I have three questions:

## Would it be useful to make this a "Feature Pack" ?

Ideally we would like future versions of WildFly to use the same
structure (and same content) of these modules, when it will come to
upgrade the Lucene version within WildFly.

That's because we will have already tested these in (at least) the
Hibernate and Infinispan projects, while replicating the same
structure within the WildFly build would not guarantee the same
output, and would not be covered by the same amount and quality of
integration tests.

## Would you prefer this to be hosted as github.com/wildfly ?

We'd be happy to transfer ownership and still maintain it: having this
under "Hibernate" probably sends the wrong message.
It contains no Hibernate code and we'd like to encourage other people
possibly using Lucene on WildFly to use the same modules, again for
consistency reasons.

## Should we use a WildFly flavoured organization id?

For the same reasons as in the previous question, yet I ask this
separately as I guess we could still keep it on github/hibernate if
you prefer, yet distribute it as "org.wildfly:lucene-modules" or
something else you might want to suggest.

Thanks,
Sanne

Re: Apache Lucene modules for WildFly : evolution

Sanne Grinovero
Hi all,

I'm going to assume that there's no interest in giving these modules a
"WildFly branding" and/or home, so I'll use the proposed
org.hibernate.lucene-modules group id, and keep them on the Hibernate
github organization.

Last chance to propose alternatives this week ;)

Thanks for any feedback!

Sanne

On 17 February 2017 at 12:00, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> # Context
>
> historically the Hibernate Search project released modules for
> WildFly, so that people could use the latest version of it w/o having
> to wait for WildFly to upgrade it and release.
>
> This zip we distribute would also include updated modules for Apache Lucene.
>
> We have now separated the Lucene modules into their own repository, so
> that other projects (e.g. Infinispan) can use the same modules.
>
> In case you want to have a look, the POC is hosted at:
>  - https://github.com/hibernate/lucene-modules
>
> We planned to deploy this zip file as a Maven artifact under
> coordinates "org.hibernate.lucene-modules:lucene-modules:lucene-modules".
>
> # I have three questions:
>
> ## Would it be useful to make this a "Feature Pack" ?
>
> Ideally we would like future versions of WildFly to use the same
> structure (and same content) of these modules, when it will come to
> upgrade the Lucene version within WildFly.
>
> That's because we will have already tested these in (at least) the
> Hibernate and Infinispan projects, while replicating the same
> structure within the WildFly build would not guarantee the same
> output, and would not be covered by the same amount and quality of
> integration tests.
>
> ## Would you prefer this to be hosted as github.com/wildfly ?
>
> We'd be happy to transfer ownership and still maintain it: having this
> under "Hibernate" probably sends the wrong message.
> It contains no Hibernate code and we'd like to encourage other people
> possibly using Lucene on WildFly to use the same modules, again for
> consistency reasons.
>
> ## Should we use a WildFly flavoured organization id?
>
> For the same reasons as in the previous question, yet I ask this
> separately as I guess we could still keep it on github/hibernate if
> you prefer, yet distribute it as "org.wildfly:lucene-modules" or
> something else you might want to suggest.
>
> Thanks,
> Sanne

Re: Apache Lucene modules for WildFly : evolution

Tomaž Cerar-2
I think it is fine to have it in hibernate "branding"
you could go for something like org.hibernate.wildfly:lucene-modules.

This doesn't really belong in org.wildfly:lucence-modules.
if anything it could be part of wildfly-extras and as such in org.wildfly.extras.

But given that hibernate is well established project, no reason not to have it under its umbrella.

--
tomaz