Arquillian + AS7 domain in tests

Rostislav Svoboda
Hi.

I wanted to see example of Arquillian test using domain controller, tests in AS7 are using standalone version.

In jboss-as repo there is module called jboss-as-arquillian-container-managed-domain which should contain the functionality.

Testsuite module jboss-as-testsuite-integration-domain has dependency on jboss-as-arquillian-container-managed-domain but it seems that tests in this module aren't using Arquillian at all (no @RunWith(Arquillian.class) in java code).

Could you please point me to example test where Arquillian uses AS 7 in domain mode?

Cheers,
Rosta

Re: Arquillian + AS7 domain in tests

Brian Stansberry
There aren't any such tests at the moment.

I'm far from an Arquillian expert, and the project is super-fast-moving,
so I apologize in advance for any inaccuracies in the following.

The way Arquillian works in a multi-server environment and the way an AS
7 domain works isn't a seamless match. You can set up multiple container
configurations with Arquillian, have Arquillian deploy content to each
of those containers individually, and then have your test interact with
the containers.

A domain has a single control point; i.e. Arquillian would have to
interact with a Domain Controller to tell it to deploy content to the
servers in a server group. Arquillian would not be able to individual
interact with the servers to deploy content. Then the tests interact
with the servers.

I think that mismatch could be bridged, at least enough that a
sophisticated user could set up domain best testing. But that will take
some work. Sounds like a great project for someone from the community.

Putting those classes in jboss-as-arquillian-container-managed-domain
was premature on my part. I saw them as potentially core infrastructure
for an Arquillian container that represents a domain, but I had no time
to flesh that out so they aren't actually used as such. They'd probably
be better off moved into testsuite/domain.

On 7/15/11 8:30 AM, Rostislav Svoboda wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I wanted to see example of Arquillian test using domain controller, tests in AS7 are using standalone version.
>
> In jboss-as repo there is module called jboss-as-arquillian-container-managed-domain which should contain the functionality.
>
> Testsuite module jboss-as-testsuite-integration-domain has dependency on jboss-as-arquillian-container-managed-domain but it seems that tests in this module aren't using Arquillian at all (no @RunWith(Arquillian.class) in java code).
>
> Could you please point me to example test where Arquillian uses AS 7 in domain mode?
>
> Cheers,
> Rosta

Re: Arquillian + AS7 domain in tests

Aslak Knutsen
I have some thoughts on how we can bridge that, but not gotten any code going yet.

We can create a DomainContainer in the same way we have a SingleContainer, but during DomainContainer.start, it will communicate with the DomainController and read out the SingleContainers that the Domain control. The DomainContainer then register the SingleContainers(defined as a deploy point) in Arquillians ContainerRegistry as a 'fake' DeployableContainer that points back to the DomainContainer for it's deploy/undeploy operations(event start/stop should work).

>From the TestCase point of view, this should be the same as having manually configured multiple Single Containers in arquillian.xml.

-aslak-