Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Andrew Lee Rubinger
Hiya.

Since we've stopped copying the modules under JBOSS_HOME for the
testsuite (in order to save space), the default launch config from the
IDE doesn't know where to pick these up (unless manually configured with
a sysprop at launch).

How do we feel about:

1) Doing full copies of JBOSS_HOME like we used to? (Drawback: space)
2) Trying to put something in the AS7 ARQ Containers so that it'll find
the modules by default (Drawback: Hacky/Programmatic Guesswork)
3) Reorganizing things such that the testsuite module source keeps their
current structure, but instead we fire off the testsuite runs from
another module all in one go, with a full JBOSS_HOME to back it?
(Drawback: Build Complexity)

I think I lean for 3), assuming it can be done intelligently enough.
Then we'll only start/stop the server ONCE for a full build, and blow
through all tests there regardless of their source module.  The source
modules are important as they stand in order to assert our compile
dependencies.

S,
ALR

Re: Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Max Rydahl Andersen
i'm curious - how did the IDE know how to pick up the jars before ?

/max

On Aug 9, 2011, at 14:19, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:

> Hiya.
>
> Since we've stopped copying the modules under JBOSS_HOME for the
> testsuite (in order to save space), the default launch config from the
> IDE doesn't know where to pick these up (unless manually configured with
> a sysprop at launch).
>
> How do we feel about:
>
> 1) Doing full copies of JBOSS_HOME like we used to? (Drawback: space)
> 2) Trying to put something in the AS7 ARQ Containers so that it'll find
> the modules by default (Drawback: Hacky/Programmatic Guesswork)
> 3) Reorganizing things such that the testsuite module source keeps their
> current structure, but instead we fire off the testsuite runs from
> another module all in one go, with a full JBOSS_HOME to back it?
> (Drawback: Build Complexity)
>
> I think I lean for 3), assuming it can be done intelligently enough.
> Then we'll only start/stop the server ONCE for a full build, and blow
> through all tests there regardless of their source module.  The source
> modules are important as they stand in order to assert our compile
> dependencies.
>
> S,
> ALR

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

On 09/08/2011, at 10:19 PM, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:

> Hiya.
>
> Since we've stopped copying the modules under JBOSS_HOME for the
> testsuite (in order to save space), the default launch config from the
> IDE doesn't know where to pick these up (unless manually configured with
> a sysprop at launch).
>
> How do we feel about:
>
> 1) Doing full copies of JBOSS_HOME like we used to? (Drawback: space)

No. This also trashed the OS swap cache during the build, and also seemed to interfere with idea's scanning of the project files and just generally caused performance problems.

> 2) Trying to put something in the AS7 ARQ Containers so that it'll find
> the modules by default (Drawback: Hacky/Programmatic Guesswork)

I am not sure how you could do this properly.

> 3) Reorganizing things such that the testsuite module source keeps their
> current structure, but instead we fire off the testsuite runs from
> another module all in one go, with a full JBOSS_HOME to back it?
> (Drawback: Build Complexity)

I don't really like either of these.

What exactly is the problem? Is eclipse not picking up the configuration in the pom when running the tests, or something else?

Stuart

> I think I lean for 3), assuming it can be done intelligently enough.
> Then we'll only start/stop the server ONCE for a full build, and blow
> through all tests there regardless of their source module.  The source
> modules are important as they stand in order to assert our compile
> dependencies.
>
> S,
> ALR

Re: Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Andrew Lee Rubinger
The IDE wasn't doing anything but launching JUnit.  When AS started, it
just used the modules from the default location.

When we removed the modules from the JBOSS_HOME in the testsuite, we
instead point AS to use a non-default location.  This configuration
(setting the sysprop) is done in the Surefire config.  Which of course
the IDE doesn't share.  So by default, launching AS tests from the IDE
no longer work unless you edit the run configuration to set the sysprop.

S,
ALR

On 08/09/2011 01:18 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

> i'm curious - how did the IDE know how to pick up the jars before ?
>
> /max
>
> On Aug 9, 2011, at 14:19, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
>
>> Hiya.
>>
>> Since we've stopped copying the modules under JBOSS_HOME for the
>> testsuite (in order to save space), the default launch config from the
>> IDE doesn't know where to pick these up (unless manually configured with
>> a sysprop at launch).
>>
>> How do we feel about:
>>
>> 1) Doing full copies of JBOSS_HOME like we used to? (Drawback: space)
>> 2) Trying to put something in the AS7 ARQ Containers so that it'll find
>> the modules by default (Drawback: Hacky/Programmatic Guesswork)
>> 3) Reorganizing things such that the testsuite module source keeps their
>> current structure, but instead we fire off the testsuite runs from
>> another module all in one go, with a full JBOSS_HOME to back it?
>> (Drawback: Build Complexity)
>>
>> I think I lean for 3), assuming it can be done intelligently enough.
>> Then we'll only start/stop the server ONCE for a full build, and blow
>> through all tests there regardless of their source module.  The source
>> modules are important as they stand in order to assert our compile
>> dependencies.
>>
>> S,
>> ALR
>
> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Andrew Lee Rubinger
Inline.

On 08/09/2011 06:26 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> On 09/08/2011, at 10:19 PM, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
>
>> Hiya.
>>
>> Since we've stopped copying the modules under JBOSS_HOME for the
>> testsuite (in order to save space), the default launch config from the
>> IDE doesn't know where to pick these up (unless manually configured with
>> a sysprop at launch).
>>
>> How do we feel about:
>>
>> 1) Doing full copies of JBOSS_HOME like we used to? (Drawback: space)
>
> No. This also trashed the OS swap cache during the build, and also seemed to interfere with idea's scanning of the project files and just generally caused performance problems.

The FS cache you mean?  Cool, so we'll trash this.

>> 2) Trying to put something in the AS7 ARQ Containers so that it'll find
>> the modules by default (Drawback: Hacky/Programmatic Guesswork)
>
> I am not sure how you could do this properly.

Me neither.  Hence the "hacky" note.

>> 3) Reorganizing things such that the testsuite module source keeps their
>> current structure, but instead we fire off the testsuite runs from
>> another module all in one go, with a full JBOSS_HOME to back it?
>> (Drawback: Build Complexity)
>
> I don't really like either of these.

Assuming we can get 3), what don't you like about it?

As it stands, we've killed usability for running the tests from the IDE
in a default config, so I'm hoping we do agree on a solution here.

> What exactly is the problem? Is eclipse not picking up the configuration in the pom when running the tests, or something else?

The Eclipse JUnit runner does not read from the Surefire config, so the
sysprops aren't set in default launch "Run As > JUnit".

S,
ALR

> Stuart
>

>> I think I lean for 3), assuming it can be done intelligently enough.
>> Then we'll only start/stop the server ONCE for a full build, and blow
>> through all tests there regardless of their source module.  The source
>> modules are important as they stand in order to assert our compile
>> dependencies.
>>
>> S,
>> ALR

Re: Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Max Rydahl Andersen
> The IDE wasn't doing anything but launching JUnit.  When AS started, it
> just used the modules from the default location.
>
> When we removed the modules from the JBOSS_HOME in the testsuite, we
> instead point AS to use a non-default location.  This configuration
> (setting the sysprop) is done in the Surefire config.  Which of course
> the IDE doesn't share.  So by default, launching AS tests from the IDE
> no longer work unless you edit the run configuration to set the sys prop.

ah gotcha.

Can you point me to the github location of this surefire config and ill look if we could
actually somehow make our m2e integration understand this ?

/max

> S,
> ALR
>
> On 08/09/2011 01:18 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> i'm curious - how did the IDE know how to pick up the jars before ?
>>
>> /max
>>
>> On Aug 9, 2011, at 14:19, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
>>
>>> Hiya.
>>>
>>> Since we've stopped copying the modules under JBOSS_HOME for the
>>> testsuite (in order to save space), the default launch config from the
>>> IDE doesn't know where to pick these up (unless manually configured with
>>> a sysprop at launch).
>>>
>>> How do we feel about:
>>>
>>> 1) Doing full copies of JBOSS_HOME like we used to? (Drawback: space)
>>> 2) Trying to put something in the AS7 ARQ Containers so that it'll find
>>> the modules by default (Drawback: Hacky/Programmatic Guesswork)
>>> 3) Reorganizing things such that the testsuite module source keeps their
>>> current structure, but instead we fire off the testsuite runs from
>>> another module all in one go, with a full JBOSS_HOME to back it?
>>> (Drawback: Build Complexity)
>>>
>>> I think I lean for 3), assuming it can be done intelligently enough.
>>> Then we'll only start/stop the server ONCE for a full build, and blow
>>> through all tests there regardless of their source module.  The source
>>> modules are important as they stand in order to assert our compile
>>> dependencies.
>>>
>>> S,
>>> ALR
>>
>> /max
>> http://about.me/maxandersen

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Max Rydahl Andersen

>> What exactly is the problem? Is eclipse not picking up the configuration in the pom when running the tests, or something else?
>
> The Eclipse JUnit runner does not read from the Surefire config, so the
> sysprops aren't set in default launch "Run As > JUnit".

would creation of symbolic links work as a stop-gap solution ?

/max

> S,
> ALR
>

>> Stuart
>>

>>> I think I lean for 3), assuming it can be done intelligently enough.
>>> Then we'll only start/stop the server ONCE for a full build, and blow
>>> through all tests there regardless of their source module.  The source
>>> modules are important as they stand in order to assert our compile
>>> dependencies.
>>>
>>> S,
>>> ALR

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Andrew Lee Rubinger
Inline.

>> The IDE wasn't doing anything but launching JUnit.  When AS started, it
>> just used the modules from the default location.
>>
>> When we removed the modules from the JBOSS_HOME in the testsuite, we
>> instead point AS to use a non-default location.  This configuration
>> (setting the sysprop) is done in the Surefire config.  Which of course
>> the IDE doesn't share.  So by default, launching AS tests from the IDE
>> no longer work unless you edit the run configuration to set the sys prop.
>
> ah gotcha.
>
> Can you point me to the github location of this surefire config and ill look if we could
> actually somehow make our m2e integration understand this ?

https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/testsuite/pom.xml#L166

And I appreciate the offer to look into IDE integration options, but IMO
it's really not the job of the IDE here to parse out both the Surefire
config for that profile *and* apply the jboss.home var correctly.  Those
are part of the build.

What I'm after is a solution that is friendly to all default runners, be
it Eclipse JUnit, IDEA, Ant, etc.  Right now we're relying on Maven config.

S,
ALR

> /max
>

>> S,
>> ALR
>>
>> On 08/09/2011 01:18 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>> i'm curious - how did the IDE know how to pick up the jars before ?
>>>
>>> /max

>>> /max
>>> http://about.me/maxandersen

> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Andrew Lee Rubinger
Inline.

>>> What exactly is the problem? Is eclipse not picking up the configuration in the pom when running the tests, or something else?
>>
>> The Eclipse JUnit runner does not read from the Surefire config, so the
>> sysprops aren't set in default launch "Run As>  JUnit".
>
> would creation of symbolic links work as a stop-gap solution ?

Nice thought, but I hesitate due to cross-platform concerns.

While we ponder the general testsuite reorg in my other Thread, I'm
looking at what we can do here that's not too hacky.

S,
ALR

> /max
>

>> S,
>> ALR
>>

>>> Stuart

> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Arquillian Tests not Running From IDE

Max Rydahl Andersen

>> ah gotcha.
>>
>> Can you point me to the github location of this surefire config and ill look if we could
>> actually somehow make our m2e integration understand this ?
>
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/testsuite/pom.xml#L166
>
> And I appreciate the offer to look into IDE integration options, but IMO
> it's really not the job of the IDE here to parse out both the Surefire
> config for that profile *and* apply the jboss.home var correctly.  Those
> are part of the build.

well, that is mostly how any of the decent maven integration works (reading the pom and
creates matching IDE concepts)

> What I'm after is a solution that is friendly to all default runners, be
> it Eclipse JUnit, IDEA, Ant, etc.  Right now we're relying on Maven config.

gotcha.

/max

> S,
> ALR