Attributes versus attributes

David Lloyd-2
In our management model we have the terms "resources" and "attributes",
where resources are more or less defined as collections of attributes
with an address.

In our configuration file, we use XML which includes "elements" and
"attributes".  I've noticed that in many cases, subsystems have taken it
as implied that a management attribute must be mapped directly to an XML
attribute.  However, this is not the case.

In particular, our subsystem root XML elements should NOT have
attributes on the <subsystem> element.  Due to the way that the XML
namespace is declared, attributes on this XML element are hard to see
and it may be confusing for users.

It is OK (and recommended even) to use nested XML elements for
management attributes.  In particular we should always do this:

1) When declaring a subsystem top-level management attribute
2) When a nested management resource could, now or in the future, have
more than one or two attributes

Stylistically, often the only time you should really have more than one
XML attribute on an element is when you are dealing with a compound
value such as a time unit where you have the unit and the quantity, and
that sort of thing.

If you have created a subsystem element with top-level XML attributes,
please take a moment to fix it so we can have a clean configuration file
for CR1.  Thanks.

P.S. don't make me bust out the "git annotate"!

Re: Attributes versus attributes

kkhan
I created some JIRA's for CR1 to track this for subsystems where the latest version of the schema has subsystem attributes:
AS7-2866 remoting 1.1
AS7-2867 jmx 1.1
AS7-2868 infinispan 1.1
AS7-2869 jgroups 1.1
AS7-2870 jpa-config 1.1
AS7-2871 osgi 1.1
AS7-2872 web 1.1

On 28 Nov 2011, at 18:26, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> In our management model we have the terms "resources" and "attributes",
> where resources are more or less defined as collections of attributes
> with an address.
>
> In our configuration file, we use XML which includes "elements" and
> "attributes".  I've noticed that in many cases, subsystems have taken it
> as implied that a management attribute must be mapped directly to an XML
> attribute.  However, this is not the case.
>
> In particular, our subsystem root XML elements should NOT have
> attributes on the <subsystem> element.  Due to the way that the XML
> namespace is declared, attributes on this XML element are hard to see
> and it may be confusing for users.
>
> It is OK (and recommended even) to use nested XML elements for
> management attributes.  In particular we should always do this:
>
> 1) When declaring a subsystem top-level management attribute
> 2) When a nested management resource could, now or in the future, have
> more than one or two attributes
>
> Stylistically, often the only time you should really have more than one
> XML attribute on an element is when you are dealing with a compound
> value such as a time unit where you have the unit and the quantity, and
> that sort of thing.
>
> If you have created a subsystem element with top-level XML attributes,
> please take a moment to fix it so we can have a clean configuration file
> for CR1.  Thanks.
>
> P.S. don't make me bust out the "git annotate"!
> --
> - DML

Re: Attributes versus attributes

David Lloyd-2