Autocompletion of most used/opened files in AS7

Autocompletion of most used/opened files in AS7

Galder Zamarreño-2
Guys,

Let me make one suggestion. Which are the two files you're most likely to open with an editor in AS7? IMO:

standalone/configuration/standalone.xml
domain/configuration/domain.xml

So, we should strive to make autocompletion of these as clean/quick/painless as possible. The following does not help:

-rw-r--r--@  1 g  admin  77716 Mar 22 08:50 domain.xml
drwxr-xr-x   7 g  admin    238 Mar 22 08:52 domain_xml_history

Why? Because once you start typing the actual file name, you have to skip the history file.

So, can we please rename the history xml file to something else that does no start with domain?

Same thing for standalone.

Cheers,
--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Engineer

Re: Autocompletion of most used/opened files in AS7

Jim Tyrrell
Galder,

Good catch, I have noticed 3-5 of these that are kind of problematic, I posted jiras from the UX workshop, and to date I do not think any of them have been resolved, in fairness and in favor of bigger items these have been ignored.

However, I would argue that "easy" tab completion is the simplest of things to make or break easiness of our software.  When someone wants to address these I will happily supply the list of things to consider.

Jim Tyrrell
Principal JBoss Solutions Architect

On Mar 22, 2012, at 5:16 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

[...]

Radoslav Husar
Plus it would also have been faster to have:

full-standalone.xml
ha-standalone.xml
standalone.xml

Rado

On 03/22/2012 03:00 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> Galder,
>
> Good catch, I have noticed 3-5 of these that are kind of problematic, I
> posted jiras from the UX workshop, and to date I do not think any of
> them have been resolved, in fairness and in favor of bigger items these
> have been ignored.
>
> However, I would argue that "easy" tab completion is the simplest of
> things to make or break easiness of our software. When someone wants to
> address these I will happily supply the list of things to consider.
>
> Jim Tyrrell
> Principal JBoss Solutions Architect
>

> On Mar 22, 2012, at 5:16 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> Let me make one suggestion. Which are the two files you're most likely
>> to open with an editor in AS7? IMO:
>>
>> standalone/configuration/standalone.xml
>> domain/configuration/domain.xml
>>
>> So, we should strive to make autocompletion of these as
>> clean/quick/painless as possible. The following does not help:
>>
>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 g admin 77716 Mar 22 08:50 domain.xml
>> drwxr-xr-x 7 g admin 238 Mar 22 08:52 domain_xml_history
>>
>> Why? Because once you start typing the actual file name, you have to
>> skip the history file.
>>
>> So, can we please rename the history xml file to something else that
>> does no start with domain?
>>
>> Same thing for standalone.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: Autocompletion of most used/opened files in AS7

Wolf-Dieter Fink
Galder,
you are right and I'm with you. The autocompletion is a nice feature if
you edit the files from a terminal.

I think that a folder 'history' will do that work.
In case of domain both (domain and host) can be stored in the same folder.

But if I change that I would go even further and and think about the
naming of 'standalone' and 'host' examples with different '-XXX.xml'
extensions.
Should we rename that to 'master-host.xml'?
And if I'm typing there is always a duplicate
standalone/configuration/standalone*
should we change the file name to default.xml/ha.xml/full.xml?

Wolf

On 03/22/2012 12:16 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Let me make one suggestion. Which are the two files you're most likely to open with an editor in AS7? IMO:
>
> standalone/configuration/standalone.xml
> domain/configuration/domain.xml
>
> So, we should strive to make autocompletion of these as clean/quick/painless as possible. The following does not help:
>
> -rw-r--r--@  1 g  admin  77716 Mar 22 08:50 domain.xml
> drwxr-xr-x   7 g  admin    238 Mar 22 08:52 domain_xml_history
>
> Why? Because once you start typing the actual file name, you have to skip the history file.
>
> So, can we please rename the history xml file to something else that does no start with domain?
>
> Same thing for standalone.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Galder Zamarreño
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Red Hat GmbH
Technopark II, Building 1
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 11-15
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany

Email: [hidden email]

Re: Autocompletion of most used/opened files in AS7

Galder Zamarreño-2
+1 - It's not a huge thing, but if you have to be editing them on a daily basis (i.e. developers, support…etc), eventually you get fed up.

On Mar 22, 2012, at 3:11 PM, Radoslav Husar wrote:

> Plus it would also have been faster to have:
>
> full-standalone.xml
> ha-standalone.xml
> standalone.xml
>
> Rado
>
> On 03/22/2012 03:00 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:
>> Galder,
>>
>> Good catch, I have noticed 3-5 of these that are kind of problematic, I
>> posted jiras from the UX workshop, and to date I do not think any of
>> them have been resolved, in fairness and in favor of bigger items these
>> have been ignored.
>>
>> However, I would argue that "easy" tab completion is the simplest of
>> things to make or break easiness of our software. When someone wants to
>> address these I will happily supply the list of things to consider.
>>
>> Jim Tyrrell
>> Principal JBoss Solutions Architect
>>

>> On Mar 22, 2012, at 5:16 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>>
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> Let me make one suggestion. Which are the two files you're most likely
>>> to open with an editor in AS7? IMO:
>>>
>>> standalone/configuration/standalone.xml
>>> domain/configuration/domain.xml
>>>
>>> So, we should strive to make autocompletion of these as
>>> clean/quick/painless as possible. The following does not help:
>>>
>>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 g admin 77716 Mar 22 08:50 domain.xml
>>> drwxr-xr-x 7 g admin 238 Mar 22 08:52 domain_xml_history
>>>
>>> Why? Because once you start typing the actual file name, you have to
>>> skip the history file.
>>>
>>> So, can we please rename the history xml file to something else that
>>> does no start with domain?
>>>
>>> Same thing for standalone.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> --
>>> Galder Zamarreño
>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: Autocompletion of most used/opened files in AS7

It's too late to rename standalone-full and any of our directories
(backwards compatibility). We could potentially rename the history files
since no one directly uses them.

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect