Case-sensitivity of restricted model values

Case-sensitivity of restricted model values

David Bosschaert
Hi all,

Looking at the security domain subsystem I see that that the
authorization flag field has an allowed list of:
"allowed" => [
   "REQUIRED",
   "REQUISITE",
   "SUFFICIENT",
   "OPTIONAL"]

However, the default model (what you get with a fresh new AS7 install)
has the flag value in lowercase:
   "flag" => "required",

I'm wondering are we generally lenient wrt to case or is the
pre-populated value outside the range?

Cheers,

David

Re: Case-sensitivity of restricted model values

Jason T. Greene
Good question. In this case I made it lenient but we don't necessarily have an established convention. IMO it does make a lot of sense to treat enums as case insensitive. Perhaps we need a description attribute for that

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 24, 2011, at 3:21 AM, David Bosschaert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Looking at the security domain subsystem I see that that the
> authorization flag field has an allowed list of:
> "allowed" => [
>   "REQUIRED",
>   "REQUISITE",
>   "SUFFICIENT",
>   "OPTIONAL"]
>
> However, the default model (what you get with a fresh new AS7 install)
> has the flag value in lowercase:
>   "flag" => "required",
>
> I'm wondering are we generally lenient wrt to case or is the
> pre-populated value outside the range?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

Re: Case-sensitivity of restricted model values

Brian Stansberry
IMO we should always store and output values that match the "allowed"
description in the metadata but should always be lenient about accepting
input.

I had a look at all the uses of ModelDescriptionConstants.ALLOWED and it
would be pretty simple to tweak a few places and have everything on the
server side conform to that rule.

I'd prefer to have that be a hard rule than introduce a new piece of
descriptive metadata. If someone really really needs to have an
exception to the rule, then we can consider adding descriptive metadata.

On 11/24/11 10:01 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Good question. In this case I made it lenient but we don't necessarily have an established convention. IMO it does make a lot of sense to treat enums as case insensitive. Perhaps we need a description attribute for that
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 24, 2011, at 3:21 AM, David Bosschaert<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Looking at the security domain subsystem I see that that the
>> authorization flag field has an allowed list of:
>> "allowed" =>  [
>>    "REQUIRED",
>>    "REQUISITE",
>>    "SUFFICIENT",
>>    "OPTIONAL"]
>>
>> However, the default model (what you get with a fresh new AS7 install)
>> has the flag value in lowercase:
>>    "flag" =>  "required",
>>
>> I'm wondering are we generally lenient wrt to case or is the
>> pre-populated value outside the range?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> David

Re: Case-sensitivity of restricted model values

David Bosschaert
OK, this would mean that as a reader of the model what I get always
exactly matches of the 'allowed' value enumeration?
That would be ideal for the console...

I've created AS7-2815 to track.

Cheers,

David

On 28/11/2011 02:54, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> IMO we should always store and output values that match the "allowed"
> description in the metadata but should always be lenient about accepting
> input.
>
> I had a look at all the uses of ModelDescriptionConstants.ALLOWED and it
> would be pretty simple to tweak a few places and have everything on the
> server side conform to that rule.
>
> I'd prefer to have that be a hard rule than introduce a new piece of
> descriptive metadata. If someone really really needs to have an
> exception to the rule, then we can consider adding descriptive metadata.
>
> On 11/24/11 10:01 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Good question. In this case I made it lenient but we don't necessarily have an established convention. IMO it does make a lot of sense to treat enums as case insensitive. Perhaps we need a description attribute for that
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Nov 24, 2011, at 3:21 AM, David Bosschaert<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Looking at the security domain subsystem I see that that the
>>> authorization flag field has an allowed list of:
>>> "allowed" =>   [
>>>     "REQUIRED",
>>>     "REQUISITE",
>>>     "SUFFICIENT",
>>>     "OPTIONAL"]
>>>
>>> However, the default model (what you get with a fresh new AS7 install)
>>> has the flag value in lowercase:
>>>     "flag" =>   "required",
>>>
>>> I'm wondering are we generally lenient wrt to case or is the
>>> pre-populated value outside the range?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> David

Re: Case-sensitivity of restricted model values

Brian Stansberry
Thanks.

On 11/28/11 6:16 AM, David Bosschaert wrote:

> OK, this would mean that as a reader of the model what I get always
> exactly matches of the 'allowed' value enumeration?
> That would be ideal for the console...
>
> I've created AS7-2815 to track.
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> On 28/11/2011 02:54, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> IMO we should always store and output values that match the "allowed"
>> description in the metadata but should always be lenient about accepting
>> input.
>>
>> I had a look at all the uses of ModelDescriptionConstants.ALLOWED and it
>> would be pretty simple to tweak a few places and have everything on the
>> server side conform to that rule.
>>
>> I'd prefer to have that be a hard rule than introduce a new piece of
>> descriptive metadata. If someone really really needs to have an
>> exception to the rule, then we can consider adding descriptive metadata.
>>
>> On 11/24/11 10:01 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>>> Good question. In this case I made it lenient but we don't necessarily have an established convention. IMO it does make a lot of sense to treat enums as case insensitive. Perhaps we need a description attribute for that
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Case-sensitivity of restricted model values

BTW, in this specific case the intention was that the values be lower
case (that is what is in the schema and in the config examples).

The problem comes from using a Java enum, which has a string value that
is upper case. So the answer appears to be lower casing the enum when
writing the value or presenting defaults.

On 11/28/11 11:21 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> On 11/28/11 6:16 AM, David Bosschaert wrote:
>> OK, this would mean that as a reader of the model what I get always
>> exactly matches of the 'allowed' value enumeration?
>> That would be ideal for the console...
>>
>> I've created AS7-2815 to track.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> David
>>
>> On 28/11/2011 02:54, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> IMO we should always store and output values that match the "allowed"
>>> description in the metadata but should always be lenient about accepting
>>> input.
>>>
>>> I had a look at all the uses of ModelDescriptionConstants.ALLOWED and it
>>> would be pretty simple to tweak a few places and have everything on the
>>> server side conform to that rule.
>>>
>>> I'd prefer to have that be a hard rule than introduce a new piece of
>>> descriptive metadata. If someone really really needs to have an
>>> exception to the rule, then we can consider adding descriptive metadata.

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect