Change WebServices subsystem to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription

Change WebServices subsystem to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription

Claudio Miranda
Hi, to better understand subsystem api, I am changing the WS subsystem
to use the PersistentResourceXMLDescription, more in line with the
other subsystem api.

There are some wsdl settings, they are xml elements.

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:webservices:2.0">
    <modify-wsdl-address>${ws.modify-wsdl-address:true}</modify-wsdl-address>
    <wsdl-host>${jboss.bind.address:localhost}</wsdl-host>
    <wsdl-port>${ws.wsdl-port:9090}</wsdl-port>
    <wsdl-secure-port>${ws.wsdl-secure-port:9443}</wsdl-secure-port>
    <wsdl-uri-scheme>https</wsdl-uri-scheme>
    <wsdl-path-rewrite-rule>s/jaxws-jbws2150-codefirst/xx\/jaxws-jbws2150-codefirst/g</wsdl-path-rewrite-rule>

What do you think of those settings as attributes ?

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:webservices:2.0">
    <wsdl-settings modify-wsdl-address="${ws.modify-wsdl-address:true}"
        wsdl-host="${jboss.bind.address:localhost}"
        wsdl-port="${ws.wsdl-port:9090}"
        wsdl-secure-port="${ws.wsdl-secure-port:9443}"
        wsdl-uri-scheme="https"
        wsdl-path-rewrite-rule="s/jaxws-jbws2150-codefirst/xx\/jaxws-jbws2150-codefirst/g"/>

Later I can submit it for review if is of interest.

Kind regards
--
  Claudio Miranda

[hidden email]
http://www.claudius.com.br

On 12/8/14, 8:09 AM, Claudio Miranda wrote:

> Later I can submit it for review if is of interest.

Look for a response from Alessio Soldano as I'd ask him to approve the
PR anyway.

I definitely prefer attributes to text elements.

Senior Principal Software Engineer

Re: Change WebServices subsystem to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription

Alessio Soldano
On 08/12/14 16:00, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> On 12/8/14, 8:09 AM, Claudio Miranda wrote:
>>
>> Later I can submit it for review if is of interest.
>
> Look for a response from Alessio Soldano as I'd ask him to approve the
> PR anyway.
>
> I definitely prefer attributes to text elements.

I've had a brief chat with Tomaz on this topic. Frankly, I don't see any
immediate benefit from these changes (perhaps the model would look a bit
clearer to the final user?), while it looks like we might get some in
the future.
So I won't object to the changes as long as they introduce no regression.
Cheers
Alessio

--
Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: Change WebServices subsystem to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription

kkhan

> On 9 Dec 2014, at 12:07, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 08/12/14 16:00, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> On 12/8/14, 8:09 AM, Claudio Miranda wrote:
>>>
>>> Later I can submit it for review if is of interest.
>>
>> Look for a response from Alessio Soldano as I'd ask him to approve the
>> PR anyway.
>>
>> I definitely prefer attributes to text elements.
>
> I've had a brief chat with Tomaz on this topic. Frankly, I don't see any
> immediate benefit from these changes (perhaps the model would look a bit
> clearer to the final user?), while it looks like we might get some in
My understanding was this was the xml only. For the resource model (which I have not checked to see what is there), be careful restructuring that, since transformation to the legacy models is hard.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Kabir Khan <[hidden email]> wrote:
My understanding was this was the xml only. For the resource model (which I have not checked to see what is there), be careful restructuring that, since transformation to the legacy models is hard.

Moving to PeristantResourceDefinition & PersistantResourceXMLDescription should not effect model structure in any way.
Unless some mistake in conversion is made.

If all is right, only xml format should be affected.

--
tomaz

Re: Change WebServices subsystem to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription

Claudio Miranda
There are two proposed changes:
1. change subsystem implementation to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription
2. modify subsystem xml, the wsdl elements to attributes.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Frankly, I don't see any immediate benefit from these changes (perhaps the model would look a bit
> clearer to the final user?), while it looks like we might get some in the future.

It brings no immediate benefit for users. I saw other subsystem
implementation (mail, undertow) uses PersistentResourceXMLDescription
and attributes, so I thought it would be a good idea to (kind of)
"modernize" webservices subsystem.

This is much more a personal exercise for me to better understand
subsystem implementation, if it doesn't fail the tests, would be good
to PR it.

Regards
--
  Claudio Miranda

[hidden email]
http://www.claudius.com.br

Re: Change WebServices subsystem to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription

Brian Stansberry
On 12/9/14, 7:10 AM, Claudio Miranda wrote:

> There are two proposed changes:
> 1. change subsystem implementation to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription
> 2. modify subsystem xml, the wsdl elements to attributes.
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Alessio Soldano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Frankly, I don't see any immediate benefit from these changes (perhaps the model would look a bit
>> clearer to the final user?), while it looks like we might get some in the future.
>
> It brings no immediate benefit for users. I saw other subsystem
> implementation (mail, undertow) uses PersistentResourceXMLDescription
> and attributes, so I thought it would be a good idea to (kind of)
> "modernize" webservices subsystem.
>
> This is much more a personal exercise for me to better understand
> subsystem implementation, if it doesn't fail the tests, would be good
> to PR it.

My only other comment on this is the xml style should be consistent
across the entire subsystem, so if this is only for a part (I'm too lazy
to look) then that's not good.

But I support the idea of moving to this style in general. Attributes
instead of text elements is much more 'standard' for the WildFly config
files. And I expect things will keep moving that way, so stuff that
doesn't will seem more and more "non-standard".

Senior Principal Software Engineer

Re: Change WebServices subsystem to use PersistentResourceXMLDescription

Claudio Miranda
On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Brian Stansberry
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> My only other comment on this is the xml style should be consistent across
> the entire subsystem, so if this is only for a part (I'm too lazy to look)
> then that's not good.

The other parts of WS subsystem are already attributes.

> But I support the idea of moving to this style in general. Attributes
> instead of text elements is much more 'standard' for the WildFly config
> files. And I expect things will keep moving that way, so stuff that doesn't
> will seem more and more "non-standard".

That is my thought, to let WS subsystem more like the others, attribute based.

--
  Claudio Miranda

[hidden email]
http://www.claudius.com.br