Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Brian Stansberry
A number of people are reporting that after building the current
upstream master and running the testsuite, the terminal used to do that
no longer echos characters you type back to the screen.

Just wanted to let you know we're aware of the issue and are working it,
with a pretty good idea as to the root cause.

Some solutions people have used to get a normally functioning terminal
after this happens:

1) The Reset command from the Terminal menu.
2) Running 'stty sane' from the command line
3) Open a new terminal. ;)

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Alexey Loubyansky
It doesn't seem to be a CLI testsuite related issue.
I simply removed all the CLI tests (cli local and the main testsuite),
'./build.sh clean' and './build.sh' and I still see it. Not after every
run though.

Alexey

> A number of people are reporting that after building the current
> upstream master and running the testsuite, the terminal used to do that
> no longer echos characters you type back to the screen.
>
> Just wanted to let you know we're aware of the issue and are working it,
> with a pretty good idea as to the root cause.
>
> Some solutions people have used to get a normally functioning terminal
> after this happens:
>
> 1) The Reset command from the Terminal menu.
> 2) Running 'stty sane' from the command line
> 3) Open a new terminal. ;)

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Darran Lofthouse
For me this has been happening after a failed OSGI test that looks as if
it may use the CLI as well so not sure if that is related.

On 04/28/2012 10:14 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:

> It doesn't seem to be a CLI testsuite related issue.
> I simply removed all the CLI tests (cli local and the main testsuite),
> './build.sh clean' and './build.sh' and I still see it. Not after every
> run though.
>
> Alexey
>
> On 04/27/2012 08:01 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> A number of people are reporting that after building the current
>> upstream master and running the testsuite, the terminal used to do that
>> no longer echos characters you type back to the screen.
>>
>> Just wanted to let you know we're aware of the issue and are working it,
>> with a pretty good idea as to the root cause.
>>
>> Some solutions people have used to get a normally functioning terminal
>> after this happens:
>>
>> 1) The Reset command from the Terminal menu.
>> 2) Running 'stty sane' from the command line
>> 3) Open a new terminal. ;)

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

kkhan
I also see something similar if I
*Start AS in terminal 1
*Connect with cli in terminal 2
*killall -9 java in terminal 3

-> Terminal 2 does not echo characters
On 27 Apr 2012, at 19:01, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> A number of people are reporting that after building the current
> upstream master and running the testsuite, the terminal used to do that
> no longer echos characters you type back to the screen.
>
> Just wanted to let you know we're aware of the issue and are working it,
> with a pretty good idea as to the root cause.
>
> Some solutions people have used to get a normally functioning terminal
> after this happens:
>
> 1) The Reset command from the Terminal menu.
> 2) Running 'stty sane' from the command line
> 3) Open a new terminal. ;)
>
> --
> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Stuart Douglas
That would be because kill -9 does not give the shutdown hook that restores the terminal a chance to run.

Stuart

On 28/04/2012, at 9:44 PM, Kabir Khan wrote:

> I also see something similar if I
> *Start AS in terminal 1
> *Connect with cli in terminal 2
> *killall -9 java in terminal 3
>
> -> Terminal 2 does not echo characters
> On 27 Apr 2012, at 19:01, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> A number of people are reporting that after building the current
>> upstream master and running the testsuite, the terminal used to do that
>> no longer echos characters you type back to the screen.
>>
>> Just wanted to let you know we're aware of the issue and are working it,
>> with a pretty good idea as to the root cause.
>>
>> Some solutions people have used to get a normally functioning terminal
>> after this happens:
>>
>> 1) The Reset command from the Terminal menu.
>> 2) Running 'stty sane' from the command line
>> 3) Open a new terminal. ;)
>>
>> --
>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Tristan Tarrant
We can minimize the impact of this by resetting the tty state using stty
in the shell script used to launch the CLI (since people will probably
kill -9 the java process and not the parent shell).

Tristan

On 04/28/2012 07:48 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> That would be because kill -9 does not give the shutdown hook that restores the terminal a chance to run.
>
> Stuart
>

> On 28/04/2012, at 9:44 PM, Kabir Khan wrote:
>
>> I also see something similar if I
>> *Start AS in terminal 1
>> *Connect with cli in terminal 2
>> *killall -9 java in terminal 3
>>
>> ->  Terminal 2 does not echo characters
>> On 27 Apr 2012, at 19:01, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>
>>> A number of people are reporting that after building the current
>>> upstream master and running the testsuite, the terminal used to do that
>>> no longer echos characters you type back to the screen.
>>>
>>> Just wanted to let you know we're aware of the issue and are working it,
>>> with a pretty good idea as to the root cause.
>>>
>>> Some solutions people have used to get a normally functioning terminal
>>> after this happens:
>>>
>>> 1) The Reset command from the Terminal menu.
>>> 2) Running 'stty sane' from the command line
>>> 3) Open a new terminal. ;)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brian Stansberry
>>> Principal Software Engineer
>>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Alexey Loubyansky
It might work as a quick fix.

I am looking into switching from the IO-based tests to the CLI API. They
will be cleaner looking and run faster. But it's not possible for all
the tests. So, until this is all figured out we could reset the terminal
"just in case".

Alexey

On 04/29/2012 09:50 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:

> We can minimize the impact of this by resetting the tty state using stty
> in the shell script used to launch the CLI (since people will probably
> kill -9 the java process and not the parent shell).
>
> Tristan
>
> On 04/28/2012 07:48 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>> That would be because kill -9 does not give the shutdown hook that restores the terminal a chance to run.
>>
>> Stuart
>>

>> On 28/04/2012, at 9:44 PM, Kabir Khan wrote:
>>
>>> I also see something similar if I
>>> *Start AS in terminal 1
>>> *Connect with cli in terminal 2
>>> *killall -9 java in terminal 3
>>>
>>> ->   Terminal 2 does not echo characters

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Jason T. Greene
Looking at the JLine code it seems we could create a FakeTerminal (extends Terminal), and call ConsoleReader with that and a normal set of streams. Then it won't mess with the TTY and would be completely virtual.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Alexey Loubyansky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It might work as a quick fix.
>
> I am looking into switching from the IO-based tests to the CLI API. They
> will be cleaner looking and run faster. But it's not possible for all
> the tests. So, until this is all figured out we could reset the terminal
> "just in case".
>
> Alexey
>
> On 04/29/2012 09:50 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>> We can minimize the impact of this by resetting the tty state using stty
>> in the shell script used to launch the CLI (since people will probably
>> kill -9 the java process and not the parent shell).
>>
>> Tristan
>>
>> On 04/28/2012 07:48 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>>> That would be because kill -9 does not give the shutdown hook that restores the terminal a chance to run.
>>>
>>> Stuart

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Alexey Loubyansky
Yes, if I create a simple subclass of jline.Terminal and just leave
initializeTerminal() empty (where the stty changes happen) I don't see
the issue any more. But of course then the interactive mode suffers.

On 04/29/2012 08:38 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Looking at the JLine code it seems we could create a FakeTerminal (extends Terminal), and call ConsoleReader with that and a normal set of streams. Then it won't mess with the TTY and would be completely virtual.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 29, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Alexey Loubyansky<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> It might work as a quick fix.
>>
>> I am looking into switching from the IO-based tests to the CLI API. They
>> will be cleaner looking and run faster. But it's not possible for all
>> the tests. So, until this is all figured out we could reset the terminal
>> "just in case".
>>
>> Alexey
>>
>> On 04/29/2012 09:50 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>>> We can minimize the impact of this by resetting the tty state using stty
>>> in the shell script used to launch the CLI (since people will probably
>>> kill -9 the java process and not the parent shell).
>>>
>>> Tristan

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Alexey Loubyansky
AFAICS, the issue should be fixed now. If anybody is still seeing it,
please, let me know.

In fact, it used to be a couple of the OSGI tests that used the
CLIWrapper. OSGiManagementTest used to take care of the initialization
and cleaning up. It's removed now and the other utility class is using
the DMR API directly.

I'll continue looking into minimizing and removing the CLIWrapper in
favour of the CLI public API.

Alexey

On 04/28/2012 12:10 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> For me this has been happening after a failed OSGI test that looks as if
> it may use the CLI as well so not sure if that is related.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 04/28/2012 10:14 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>> It doesn't seem to be a CLI testsuite related issue.
>> I simply removed all the CLI tests (cli local and the main testsuite),
>> './build.sh clean' and './build.sh' and I still see it. Not after every
>> run though.
>>
>> Alexey
>>
>> On 04/27/2012 08:01 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> A number of people are reporting that after building the current
>>> upstream master and running the testsuite, the terminal used to do that
>>> no longer echos characters you type back to the screen.
>>>
>>> Just wanted to let you know we're aware of the issue and are working it,
>>> with a pretty good idea as to the root cause.
>>>
>>> Some solutions people have used to get a normally functioning terminal
>>> after this happens:
>>>
>>> 1) The Reset command from the Terminal menu.
>>> 2) Running 'stty sane' from the command line
>>> 3) Open a new terminal. ;)

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Right im just talking about for the purpose of testing. We don't need
interactive mode for that.

On 4/30/12 9:22 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:

> Yes, if I create a simple subclass of jline.Terminal and just leave
> initializeTerminal() empty (where the stty changes happen) I don't see
> the issue any more. But of course then the interactive mode suffers.
>
> On 04/29/2012 08:38 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Looking at the JLine code it seems we could create a FakeTerminal (extends Terminal), and call ConsoleReader with that and a normal set of streams. Then it won't mess with the TTY and would be completely virtual.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Apr 29, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Alexey Loubyansky<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>>
>>> It might work as a quick fix.
>>>
>>> I am looking into switching from the IO-based tests to the CLI API. They
>>> will be cleaner looking and run faster. But it's not possible for all
>>> the tests. So, until this is all figured out we could reset the terminal
>>> "just in case".
>>>
>>> Alexey

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

On 5/2/12 10:47 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
> AFAICS, the issue should be fixed now. If anybody is still seeing it,
> please, let me know.
>
> In fact, it used to be a couple of the OSGI tests that used the
> CLIWrapper. OSGiManagementTest used to take care of the initialization
> and cleaning up. It's removed now and the other utility class is using
> the DMR API directly.

Great.

> I'll continue looking into minimizing and removing the CLIWrapper in
> favour of the CLI public API.

Good. We need to rationalize things in the testsuite a bit. E.g. once we
adequately test that the CLI public API provides the same input to and
output from the core CLI as reading/writing from a separate process'
stdio does, there no need for other tests to use a separate CLI process.

Similarly, if we establish that the CLI parses strings representing
low-level ops into a proper ModelNode structure for use in the native
management API, then there's no need to test a bunch of low level ops
using both the native management API and the CLI. Prove in some tests
that both mechanisms work in general, and then if the real goal of a
test is to test server side behavior of a particular op (e.g. a
datasource add), pick either the CLI public API or a native management
op to test that, not both.

> Alexey
>
> On 04/28/2012 12:10 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> For me this has been happening after a failed OSGI test that looks as if
>> it may use the CLI as well so not sure if that is related.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>> On 04/28/2012 10:14 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>>> It doesn't seem to be a CLI testsuite related issue.
>>> I simply removed all the CLI tests (cli local and the main testsuite),
>>> './build.sh clean' and './build.sh' and I still see it. Not after every
>>> run though.
>>>
>>> Alexey

Re: Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Alexey Loubyansky
> On 5/2/12 10:47 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>> I'll continue looking into minimizing and removing the CLIWrapper in
>> favour of the CLI public API.
>>

> Good. We need to rationalize things in the testsuite a bit. E.g. once we
> adequately test that the CLI public API provides the same input to and
> output from the core CLI as reading/writing from a separate process'
> stdio does, there no need for other tests to use a separate CLI process.

There is no duplication of parsing or DMR composition code, it's the
same code that is used internally and now exposed through the public api.

> Similarly, if we establish that the CLI parses strings representing
> low-level ops into a proper ModelNode structure for use in the native
> management API, then there's no need to test a bunch of low level ops
> using both the native management API and the CLI. Prove in some tests
> that both mechanisms work in general, and then if the real goal of a
> test is to test server side behavior of a particular op (e.g. a
> datasource add), pick either the CLI public API or a native management
> op to test that, not both.

The tests are already there.

Alexey

On 5/2/12 2:59 PM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:

> On 05/02/2012 07:19 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> On 5/2/12 10:47 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>>> I'll continue looking into minimizing and removing the CLIWrapper in
>>> favour of the CLI public API.
>>>

>> Good. We need to rationalize things in the testsuite a bit. E.g. once we
>> adequately test that the CLI public API provides the same input to and
>> output from the core CLI as reading/writing from a separate process'
>> stdio does, there no need for other tests to use a separate CLI process.
>
> There is no duplication of parsing or DMR composition code, it's the
> same code that is used internally and now exposed through the public api.

Yep.

>> Similarly, if we establish that the CLI parses strings representing
>> low-level ops into a proper ModelNode structure for use in the native
>> management API, then there's no need to test a bunch of low level ops
>> using both the native management API and the CLI. Prove in some tests
>> that both mechanisms work in general, and then if the real goal of a
>> test is to test server side behavior of a particular op (e.g. a
>> datasource add), pick either the CLI public API or a native management
>> op to test that, not both.
>
> The tests are already there.

Yes, I knew that. ;)

I wasn't trying to lay out a set of steps we need to take, do A then B,
then we can do C. I just want to state publicly that if A and B are
adequately tested, there's no reason to incur major overhead to test
them again in a of tests of C, D, E, ..Z. So people will understand why
things are changing when we change them.

BTW, I want to be clear that the CLI public API is fairly new, so what
I'm talking about here is taking advantage of something new to improve
things. I'm not complaining about how things were done in the past.