Circular dependency: jbossts depends on jboss-as

Circular dependency: jbossts depends on jboss-as

Carlo de Wolf
Failed to read artifact descriptor for
org.jboss.jbossts:jbossjts:jar:4.16.0.Final: The repository system is
offline but the artifact org.jboss.as:jboss-as-parent:pom:7.1.0.Beta1b
is not available in the local repository. -> [Help 1]

Carlo

Re: Circular dependency: jbossts depends on jboss-as

Tom Jenkinson
Hi Carlo,

TS imports the AS parent so it has the same dependency versions as those
in AS7.

If the TS pom is judged incorrect, what would be the recommended
approach for this conundrum? Is there an AS7 bom for the internal
dependencies, e.g. to get the version of:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.jboss.logging</groupId>
<artifactId>jboss-logging</artifactId>
</dependency>

Importing the following dependency would help us with JTA/JMS/JCA specs
but internals aren't defined in there:
<dependency>
<groupId>org.jboss.spec</groupId>
<artifactId>jboss-javaee-6.0</artifactId>
<version>${javaee6.spec.version}</version>
<type>pom</type>
<scope>import</scope>
</dependency>

Thanks,
Tom

On 2012-01-19 12:23, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> Failed to read artifact descriptor for
> org.jboss.jbossts:jbossjts:jar:4.16.0.Final: The repository system is
> offline but the artifact org.jboss.as:jboss-as-parent:pom:7.1.0.Beta1b
> is not available in the local repository. ->  [Help 1]
>
> Carlo

Re: Circular dependency: jbossts depends on jboss-as

Carlo de Wolf
As Jonathan kindly pointed out to me, we do this rant every quarter or
so. :-!

On 01/19/2012 02:35 PM, Tom Jenkinson wrote:
> Hi Carlo,
>
> TS imports the AS parent so it has the same dependency versions as
> those in AS7.

That statement is just wrong. TS gets dependencies of AS 7 (-1). In this
case an even older one: Beta1b.

> If the TS pom is judged incorrect, what would be the recommended
> approach for this conundrum?

IMO the only correct way to fix this is have a pom (/BOM) higher up the
dependency chain on which both TS and AS 7 depend. Neither of which can
produce anything for that pom.

I need to talk to Paul & John to get a better line-up of what they have
for EAP.

Carlo

On 2012-01-19 15:36, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> As Jonathan kindly pointed out to me, we do this rant every quarter or
> so. :-!
>
> On 01/19/2012 02:35 PM, Tom Jenkinson wrote:
>> Hi Carlo,
>>
>> TS imports the AS parent so it has the same dependency versions as
>> those in AS7.
>
> That statement is just wrong. TS gets dependencies of AS 7 (-1). In
> this case an even older one: Beta1b.

Fair comment

>> If the TS pom is judged incorrect, what would be the recommended
>> approach for this conundrum?
>
> IMO the only correct way to fix this is have a pom (/BOM) higher up
> the dependency chain on which both TS and AS 7 depend. Neither of
> which can produce anything for that pom.
>
> I need to talk to Paul & John to get a better line-up of what they
> have for EAP.

I see what you are saying and its somewhat implied when I pointed out
the jboss-javaee-6.0 spec dependency doesn't have none-API dependencies
defined in there. However, presumably this new pom (to define
none-api-spec dependencies) would somewhere say something like "JBossTS
version x" or whatever which would start us off with a different
circular dependency. I see that you are saying "Neither of which can
produce anything for that pom." but lets take hornetq, jboss-ts and
jboss-as as an example, at some point they will all need to know about
it each other in a pom where they are producer and consumer for it is my
guess.