Cleaning up JBoss Metadata

Stuart Douglas
Hi Guys,

Now that we have started on AS8 I would like to clean up JBoss Metadata,
and get rid of some of the legacy stuff that has accumulated over the years.

Basically I would like to branch 7.x for AS7 bug fixes, and start on
version 8.0 in master.

The changes I want to make are basically:

- Run a code formatter over the whole code base, and setup checkstyle rules
- Delete all the dead code, that is no longer relevant
- Flatten some of the inheritance hierarchies that are a relic from the
JAXB parsing days
- Fix or delete the ignored tests

Nothing major, but I just think that it will make the code more
maintainable going forward.

I have made a start here:

https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/metadata/compare/master

Can anyone see any problems with this approach?

If not, I will go ahead with this.

Re: Cleaning up JBoss Metadata

Carlo de Wolf
https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/metadata/commit/a6b64b317e5f83f9e19dd20b84efaec16d19b972

'Final' might be a bit premature. :-)
I would say make it '8.0.0-SNAPSHOT' instead. Worry about 'Alpha',
'Beta' etc later.
In fact I think 'GA' is the latest convention.

Carlo

On 02/21/2013 10:07 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Now that we have started on AS8 I would like to clean up JBoss Metadata,
> and get rid of some of the legacy stuff that has accumulated over the years.
>
> Basically I would like to branch 7.x for AS7 bug fixes, and start on
> version 8.0 in master.
>
> The changes I want to make are basically:
>
> - Run a code formatter over the whole code base, and setup checkstyle rules
> - Delete all the dead code, that is no longer relevant
> - Flatten some of the inheritance hierarchies that are a relic from the
> JAXB parsing days
> - Fix or delete the ignored tests
>
> Nothing major, but I just think that it will make the code more
> maintainable going forward.
>
> I have made a start here:
>
> https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/metadata/compare/master
>
> Can anyone see any problems with this approach?
>
> If not, I will go ahead with this.
>
> Stuart

Re: Cleaning up JBoss Metadata

Stuart Douglas
Oops, I mean't to call it Beta1, just was not thinking :-)

Stuart

Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/metadata/commit/a6b64b317e5f83f9e19dd20b84efaec16d19b972
>

> 'Final' might be a bit premature. :-)
> I would say make it '8.0.0-SNAPSHOT' instead. Worry about 'Alpha',
> 'Beta' etc later.
> In fact I think 'GA' is the latest convention.
>
> Carlo
>
> On 02/21/2013 10:07 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Now that we have started on AS8 I would like to clean up JBoss Metadata,
>> and get rid of some of the legacy stuff that has accumulated over the
>> years.
>>
>> Basically I would like to branch 7.x for AS7 bug fixes, and start on
>> version 8.0 in master.
>>
>> The changes I want to make are basically:
>>
>> - Run a code formatter over the whole code base, and setup checkstyle
>> rules
>> - Delete all the dead code, that is no longer relevant
>> - Flatten some of the inheritance hierarchies that are a relic from the
>> JAXB parsing days
>> - Fix or delete the ignored tests
>>
>> Nothing major, but I just think that it will make the code more
>> maintainable going forward.
>>
>> I have made a start here:
>>
>> https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/metadata/compare/master
>>
>> Can anyone see any problems with this approach?
>>
>> If not, I will go ahead with this.
>>
>> Stuart

Re: Cleaning up JBoss Metadata

Rémy Maucherat
On 02/21/2013 10:07 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Now that we have started on AS8 I would like to clean up JBoss Metadata,
> and get rid of some of the legacy stuff that has accumulated over the years.
>
> Basically I would like to branch 7.x for AS7 bug fixes, and start on
> version 8.0 in master.
>
> The changes I want to make are basically:
>
> - Run a code formatter over the whole code base, and setup checkstyle rules
> - Delete all the dead code, that is no longer relevant
> - Flatten some of the inheritance hierarchies that are a relic from the
> JAXB parsing days
> - Fix or delete the ignored tests
>
> Nothing major, but I just think that it will make the code more
> maintainable going forward.
>
> I have made a start here:
>
> https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/metadata/compare/master
>
> Can anyone see any problems with this approach?
>
> If not, I will go ahead with this.

Ok. Just don't remove too much stuff unless 100% certain, removing too
many things usually brings little real value other than causing
headaches later.

Rémy

On 2/21/13 3:44 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
> https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/metadata/commit/a6b64b317e5f83f9e19dd20b84efaec16d19b972
>
> 'Final' might be a bit premature. :-)
> I would say make it '8.0.0-SNAPSHOT' instead. Worry about 'Alpha',
> 'Beta' etc later.
> In fact I think 'GA' is the latest convention.

<foolishly-relying-on-a-wiki>AFAIK,
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossProjectVersioning is still
authoritative for JBoss community projects, with "Final" the correct
term.</foolishly-relying-on-a-wiki>

Red Hat products are another matter.

Re: Cleaning up JBoss Metadata

Andrig Miller

> On 2/21/13 3:44 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
> > https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/metadata/commit/a6b64b317e5f83f9e19dd20b84efaec16d19b972
> >
> > 'Final' might be a bit premature. :-)
> > I would say make it '8.0.0-SNAPSHOT' instead. Worry about 'Alpha',
> > 'Beta' etc later.
> > In fact I think 'GA' is the latest convention.
> >

> <foolishly-relying-on-a-wiki>AFAIK,
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossProjectVersioning is still
> authoritative for JBoss community projects, with "Final" the correct
> term.</foolishly-relying-on-a-wiki>

Brian would be correct.  This is still the authoritative document for versioning.

Andy