Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Hello Everyone,

I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:

1. Java EE7
2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
3. Patching
4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name

I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:

May 7 - Release Alpha1
  + Includes undertow, some ee7
June 11 - Release Beta
  + more progress on EE7
July 11 - Release CR1
  +  EE7 feature complete
July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
  (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
August 8 - Release Final

As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.

I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Jesper Pedersen
Hi Jason,

On 03/27/2013 01:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>
> 1. Java EE7
> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
> 3. Patching
> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>
> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>
> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>    + Includes undertow, some ee7
> June 11 - Release Beta
>    + more progress on EE7
> July 11 - Release CR1
>    +  EE7 feature complete
> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>    (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
> August 8 - Release Final
>
> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>
> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!

Looks good, thanks !

I would suggest to move the June 11 date to June 7 instead, such that
the Beta release is out for JUDCon/Boston.

Best regards,
  Jesper

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Can we get Versions in JIRA for all these* plus a 9.0.0.CR1 to track
main items for the next big dev cycle? I volunteer to do it. I'm itching
to get my big pile of issues properly sorted into buckets. :-)

* Well, not CR2 and Final which should only have stuff discovered after CR1

On 3/27/13 12:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>
> 1. Java EE7
> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
> 3. Patching
> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>
> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>
> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>    + Includes undertow, some ee7
> June 11 - Release Beta
>    + more progress on EE7
> July 11 - Release CR1
>    +  EE7 feature complete
> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>    (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
> August 8 - Release Final
>
> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>
> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene
> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Jason T. Greene
Be my guest :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 27, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we get Versions in JIRA for all these* plus a 9.0.0.CR1 to track
> main items for the next big dev cycle? I volunteer to do it. I'm itching
> to get my big pile of issues properly sorted into buckets. :-)
>
> * Well, not CR2 and Final which should only have stuff discovered after CR1
>
> On 3/27/13 12:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>>
>> 1. Java EE7
>> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
>> 3. Patching
>> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
>> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>>
>> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>>
>> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>>   + Includes undertow, some ee7
>> June 11 - Release Beta
>>   + more progress on EE7
>> July 11 - Release CR1
>>   +  EE7 feature complete
>> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>>   (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
>> August 8 - Release Final
>>
>> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>>
>> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Brian Stansberry
Done. I used the dates you provided below, although I think Jesper's
suggestion re June 7 and JUDCon makes sense.

On 3/27/13 6:27 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Be my guest :)
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 27, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Can we get Versions in JIRA for all these* plus a 9.0.0.CR1 to track
>> main items for the next big dev cycle? I volunteer to do it. I'm itching
>> to get my big pile of issues properly sorted into buckets. :-)
>>
>> * Well, not CR2 and Final which should only have stuff discovered after CR1
>>
>> On 3/27/13 12:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>>>
>>> 1. Java EE7
>>> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
>>> 3. Patching
>>> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
>>> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>>>
>>> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>>>
>>> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>>>    + Includes undertow, some ee7
>>> June 11 - Release Beta
>>>    + more progress on EE7
>>> July 11 - Release CR1
>>>    +  EE7 feature complete
>>> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>>>    (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
>>> August 8 - Release Final
>>>
>>> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>>>
>>> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jason T. Greene
>>> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Paul Robinson-2
I agree, I'm sure a lot of subsystem devs are hoping to talk about features  scheduled for a component upgrade in AS Beta1.

It would be great to say in my (potential) talk, that you can use these features in the latest AS release, rather than a recent AS snapshot.

Paul

On 28 Mar 2013, at 00:43, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done. I used the dates you provided below, although I think Jesper's
> suggestion re June 7 and JUDCon makes sense.
>
> On 3/27/13 6:27 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Be my guest :)
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Mar 27, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Can we get Versions in JIRA for all these* plus a 9.0.0.CR1 to track
>>> main items for the next big dev cycle? I volunteer to do it. I'm itching
>>> to get my big pile of issues properly sorted into buckets. :-)
>>>
>>> * Well, not CR2 and Final which should only have stuff discovered after CR1

>>> Brian Stansberry
>>> Principal Software Engineer
>>> JBoss by Red Hat

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Nicklas Karlsson
The roadmap looks nice. I must say the Undertow project is very ambitious, aside from performance I am sure it will bring AS-integration of the web layer to a completely new level. From a user perspective it might be tricky to find replacements for many -D switches that might disappear, many applications probably also depend on vague spec implementations that just happened to work for them. Are you trying to squeeze in the transactional MSC also or is that for a later relase?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Paul Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree, I'm sure a lot of subsystem devs are hoping to talk about features  scheduled for a component upgrade in AS Beta1.

It would be great to say in my (potential) talk, that you can use these features in the latest AS release, rather than a recent AS snapshot.

Paul

On 28 Mar 2013, at 00:43, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done. I used the dates you provided below, although I think Jesper's
> suggestion re June 7 and JUDCon makes sense.
>
> On 3/27/13 6:27 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Be my guest :)
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Mar 27, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Can we get Versions in JIRA for all these* plus a 9.0.0.CR1 to track
>>> main items for the next big dev cycle? I volunteer to do it. I'm itching
>>> to get my big pile of issues properly sorted into buckets. :-)
>>>
>>> * Well, not CR2 and Final which should only have stuff discovered after CR1

>>> Brian Stansberry
>>> Principal Software Engineer
>>> JBoss by Red Hat

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

David Lloyd-2
Unfortunately transactional MSC won't make it in time for 8.  We are
however making some good progress on it.  I'm fairly optimistic it'll
make it in time for 9.  This is the official email you can refer to in
the future to mock me if we miss. :)

On 03/28/2013 01:39 AM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> [...]
>      >>>> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release,
>     with the following key milestones:
>      >>>>
>      >>>> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>      >>>>   + Includes undertow, some ee7
>      >>>> June 11 - Release Beta
>      >>>>   + more progress on EE7
>      >>>> July 11 - Release CR1
>      >>>>   +  EE7 feature complete
>      >>>> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>      >>>>   (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
>      >>>> August 8 - Release Final
>      >>>>
>      >>>> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE
>     certification process.
>      >>>>
>      >>>> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>      >>>>
>      >>>> --
>      >>>> Jason T. Greene
>      >>>> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Important note: all mocking must be directed at David. He has thicker
skin than the rest of us.

On 3/28/13 8:28 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> [...]
>>       >>>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
>>       >>>
>>       >>>
>>       >>> --
>>       >>> Brian Stansberry
>>       >>> Principal Software Engineer
>>       >>> JBoss by Red Hat
>>       >>> _______________________________________________
>>       >>> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>       >>> [hidden email]
>>      <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>       >>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
>>       >
>>       >
>>       > --
>>       > Brian Stansberry
>>       > Principal Software Engineer
>>       > JBoss by Red Hat
>>       > _______________________________________________
>>       > jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>       > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Cheng Fang
Great to see the as8 plan.   For such a major release, I feel it's a
very aggressive schedule, with the bulk of milestones to be achieved
during the summer time (April - July).

I'd suggest add more buffer time in between to allow for various risks.
How about targeting 9/22 (Java One week) for final?

Cheng

On Mar 27, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Jesper Pedersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On 03/27/2013 01:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>>
>> 1. Java EE7
>> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
>> 3. Patching
>> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
>> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>>
>> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>>
>> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>>   + Includes undertow, some ee7
>> June 11 - Release Beta
>>   + more progress on EE7
>> July 11 - Release CR1
>>   +  EE7 feature complete
>> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>>   (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
>> August 8 - Release Final
>>
>> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>>
>> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>
> Looks good, thanks !
>
> I would suggest to move the June 11 date to June 7 instead, such that
> the Beta release is out for JUDCon/Boston.

Hmm. I would rather not release on a Friday (releases tend to go unnoticed), and I think the schedule is pretty tight as it is.

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Thanks for the feedback Cheng.

That could be a good fall back option if we miss a milestone. If you do discover a schedule alignment problem (e.g. component release not lining up), then we could shift the related milestone. Let me know if you become aware of one.

On Mar 28, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Cheng Fang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great to see the as8 plan.   For such a major release, I feel it's a
> very aggressive schedule, with the bulk of milestones to be achieved
> during the summer time (April - July).
>
> I'd suggest add more buffer time in between to allow for various risks.
> How about targeting 9/22 (Java One week) for final?
>
> Cheng
>
> On 3/27/13 1:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>>
>> 1. Java EE7
>> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
>> 3. Patching
>> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
>> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>>
>> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>>
>> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>>   + Includes undertow, some ee7
>> June 11 - Release Beta
>>   + more progress on EE7
>> July 11 - Release CR1
>>   +  EE7 feature complete
>> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>>   (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
>> August 8 - Release Final
>>
>> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>>
>> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

I see others replied to the MSC 2 topic. To answer your other question about Undertow though, a lot of the deployment code is shared between JBossWeb and undertow, and we have been attempting to add compatibility for things like valves. I am hoping that once we have a release that's integrated, that you guys could kick the tires a bit, and point out any areas you think we should also emulate.

-Jason

On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:39 AM, Nicklas Karlsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The roadmap looks nice. I must say the Undertow project is very ambitious, aside from performance I am sure it will bring AS-integration of the web layer to a completely new level. From a user perspective it might be tricky to find replacements for many -D switches that might disappear, many applications probably also depend on vague spec implementations that just happened to work for them. Are you trying to squeeze in the transactional MSC also or is that for a later relase?
>

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Paul Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree, I'm sure a lot of subsystem devs are hoping to talk about features  scheduled for a component upgrade in AS Beta1.
>
> It would be great to say in my (potential) talk, that you can use these features in the latest AS release, rather than a recent AS snapshot.
>
> Paul
>
> On 28 Mar 2013, at 00:43, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Done. I used the dates you provided below, although I think Jesper's
> > suggestion re June 7 and JUDCon makes sense.
> >
> > On 3/27/13 6:27 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> >> Be my guest :)
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

> > --
> > Brian Stansberry
> > Principal Software Engineer
> > JBoss by Red Hat

> Nicklas Karlsson, +358 40 5062266
> Vaakunatie 10 as 7, 20780 Kaarina

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Anil Saldhana
Jason,  Darran and I were chatting recently that if Undertow could be
embeddable for junit tests, we can kick the tires a lot via PicketLink
testsuite. Creating a thread in the UT mailing list right now.

On 03/28/2013 12:16 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> I see others replied to the MSC 2 topic. To answer your other question about Undertow though, a lot of the deployment code is shared between JBossWeb and undertow, and we have been attempting to add compatibility for things like valves. I am hoping that once we have a release that's integrated, that you guys could kick the tires a bit, and point out any areas you think we should also emulate.
>
> -Jason
>
> On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:39 AM, Nicklas Karlsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The roadmap looks nice. I must say the Undertow project is very ambitious, aside from performance I am sure it will bring AS-integration of the web layer to a completely new level. From a user perspective it might be tricky to find replacements for many -D switches that might disappear, many applications probably also depend on vague spec implementations that just happened to work for them. Are you trying to squeeze in the transactional MSC also or is that for a later relase?
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Paul Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I agree, I'm sure a lot of subsystem devs are hoping to talk about features  scheduled for a component upgrade in AS Beta1.
>>
>> It would be great to say in my (potential) talk, that you can use these features in the latest AS release, rather than a recent AS snapshot.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On 28 Mar 2013, at 00:43, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Done. I used the dates you provided below, although I think Jesper's
>>> suggestion re June 7 and JUDCon makes sense.

Re: Community AS8 Roadmap Proposal

Dimitris Andreadis
Some comments from me:

- This is essentially 18.5 weeks remaining development time (including vacation) for a major
release that encompasses non-timeboxable items (e.g. EE7 updates & TCK). Risky IMHO. Looking
back to AS history I don't think we ever had such a short cycle for a major release,
although I know we want to reduce the scope of major releases going forward.

- I think BLOCKER Jiras per milestone should be used. E.g TCK passing items for CR1, EE7
feature completeness for Beta. Tracked items JIRAs should have the same priority with the
tracker JIRA (e.g. AS7-6553 for EE) to have a better view of the work that needs to be done.

- Overlap with any to-be-committed backportable EAP functionality (e.g. patching) will also
drag things back, resource wise.

- We need to align work with component leads for any potential updates that will bring in
new features. Specify a component freeze date (AS8 Beta, June 11th? CR July 11th?) and try
to stick to it. Clarify what exactly that date means because some teams interpret this as a
cut off date for a Final component version, some other teams just provide a CR and infinite
updates for an unspecified period of time :)

Overall the plan is great, we may need to add some more buffers.

/D

On 27/03/2013 23:57, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> Can we get Versions in JIRA for all these* plus a 9.0.0.CR1 to track
> main items for the next big dev cycle? I volunteer to do it. I'm itching
> to get my big pile of issues properly sorted into buckets. :-)
>
> * Well, not CR2 and Final which should only have stuff discovered after CR1
>
> On 3/27/13 12:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>>
>> 1. Java EE7
>> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
>> 3. Patching
>> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
>> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>>
>> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>>
>> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>>     + Includes undertow, some ee7
>> June 11 - Release Beta
>>     + more progress on EE7
>> July 11 - Release CR1
>>     +  EE7 feature complete
>> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>>     (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
>> August 8 - Release Final
>>
>> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>>
>> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Jason T. Greene
>> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dimitris Andreadis
Software Engineering Manager
JBoss Application Server
by Red Hat
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://dandreadis.blogspot.com/

Community AS8 Management API Changes and Freeze Dates

A couple points re: allowing teams who provide management tooling for
the AS to plan for AS 8:

1) Major subsystem changes

If you are responsible for a subsystem and expect to create a new
subsystem for AS 8 or to make significant modifications to the
management API exposed by an existing one, please reply to this thread
with a brief summary of what you expect to do. This will give Heiko
Braun a chance to plan.

2) Management API Freeze Dates

The roadmap Jason has laid out will of course involve some changes to
the management APIs exposed by the AS core and by its subsystems. In
order to allow tooling that depends on the management APIs to react to
any changes we make, we'll need to complete changes to the management
APIs in advance of the July 11 CR1 date.

After discussions with Heiko Braun, we agreed upon the following
"freeze" dates for the management APIs:

1) June 11 (Beta release date) -- no new subsystems after this date, no
substantial changes to the core management API after this date, no large
new features in existing subsystems after this date.

2) June 25 -- final management API freeze. No further management API
changes except minor bug fixes that will not affect the console.

If you have any concerns about making any of these dates, please speak
up now.

Thanks,
-- Brian

On 3/27/13 12:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>
> 1. Java EE7
> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
> 3. Patching
> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>
> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>
> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>    + Includes undertow, some ee7
> June 11 - Release Beta
>    + more progress on EE7
> July 11 - Release CR1
>    +  EE7 feature complete
> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>    (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
> August 8 - Release Final
>
> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>
> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene
> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Community AS8 Management API Changes and Freeze Dates

As it goes for new subsystems and changes, on my todo list are:
- new undertow subsystem - we have pretty clear idea of what it should look like in the end. This should be finalized for beta
- new io subsystem, this is essentially split part part of current undertow subsystem (workers, buffer-pools) into its own subsystem, so all other subsystems can utilize it (i.e. remoting and undertow)
- addition to security subsystem for global configuration of SSL so all subsystem will be able to use it. i will send mail about describing this in more detail shortly.

There might be some minor changes to mail subsystem, but i cannot confirm that yet.

--
tomaz

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
A couple points re: allowing teams who provide management tooling for
the AS to plan for AS 8:

1) Major subsystem changes

If you are responsible for a subsystem and expect to create a new
subsystem for AS 8 or to make significant modifications to the
management API exposed by an existing one, please reply to this thread
with a brief summary of what you expect to do. This will give Heiko
Braun a chance to plan.

2) Management API Freeze Dates

The roadmap Jason has laid out will of course involve some changes to
the management APIs exposed by the AS core and by its subsystems. In
order to allow tooling that depends on the management APIs to react to
any changes we make, we'll need to complete changes to the management
APIs in advance of the July 11 CR1 date.

After discussions with Heiko Braun, we agreed upon the following
"freeze" dates for the management APIs:

1) June 11 (Beta release date) -- no new subsystems after this date, no
substantial changes to the core management API after this date, no large
new features in existing subsystems after this date.

2) June 25 -- final management API freeze. No further management API
changes except minor bug fixes that will not affect the console.

If you have any concerns about making any of these dates, please speak
up now.

Thanks,
-- Brian

On 3/27/13 12:28 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce a proposed roadmap for AS8. After some discussions with various AS developers and community members, the goals we think are important are:
>
> 1. Java EE7
> 2. Integration of Undertow (EE7 Web Sockets + performant non-blocking i/o)
> 3. Patching
> 4. Migration from JacORB to the JDK Orb
> 5. Transition to the new yet to be announced name
>
> I am proposing an agressive 6 month timeline for this release, with the following key milestones:
>
> May 7 - Release Alpha1
>    + Includes undertow, some ee7
> June 11 - Release Beta
>    + more progress on EE7
> July 11 - Release CR1
>    +  EE7 feature complete
> July 25 - Release CR2 if needed
>    (Hopefully TCK 100% by this date)
> August 8 - Release Final
>
> As usual the August 8th date is conditional on the Java EE certification process.
>
> I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks!
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene
> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Community AS8 Management API Changes and Freeze Dates

Stefano Maestri

> A couple points re: allowing teams who provide management tooling for
> the AS to plan for AS 8:
>
> 1) Major subsystem changes

We will have some changes/additions to our JCA, ResourceAdapters and
Datasources subsystems.

Here you have the main point I'm changing, and reasons for that. Those
points should be quite stable, but I'l get back to you next week if I
realize during implementation I need something else.

JCA:

Reasons: Adding support for Distrubuted Work Manager.
Changes: WorkManager will have more parameters to support distributable
configuaration. There will be for sure those parameters (don't consider
definition definitive, I'm still working on it):
DISTRIBUTED(SimpleAttributeDefinitionBuilder.create("distributed",
ModelType.BOOLEAN)
                         .setDefaultValue(new ModelNode(false))
                         .setAllowExpression(true)
                         .setAllowNull(true)
                         .setMeasurementUnit(MeasurementUnit.NONE)
                         .setRestartAllServices()
                         .setRequires("selector", "policy")
                         .build()),
         SELECTOR(SimpleAttributeDefinitionBuilder.create("selector",
ModelType.STRING)
                 .setAllowExpression(true)
                 .setAllowNull(true)
                 .setMeasurementUnit(MeasurementUnit.NONE)
                 .setRestartAllServices()
                 .setXmlName("selector")
                 .setValidator(new
EnumValidator<SelectorValue>(SelectorValue.class, true, true ))
                 .build()),
         POLICY(SimpleAttributeDefinitionBuilder.create("policy",
ModelType.STRING)
                 .setAllowExpression(true)
                 .setAllowNull(true)
                 .setMeasurementUnit(MeasurementUnit.NONE)
                 .setRestartAllServices()
                 .setXmlName("policy")
                 .setValidator(new
EnumValidator<PolicyValue>(PolicyValue.class, true, true))
                 .build());

There will be also a parameter to point a channel name (JGroups Channel)
that is defined in a new subresource at subsystem level (to be verified)

ResourceAdapters:
1)
Reasons: support inflow security
Changes: there will be a workmanager-security subresource into
resource-adapter containing configuration for security. I've not yet a
DMR definition, I'll send you in next days as an update. If you want to
get an idea take a look to workmanagerType and referenced type in
resource_adapters_1_1.xsd of Ironjacamar Beta4

2)
Reasons: changes to connection-definition to support new attributes:
changes: we will have new attributes called sharable (boolean),
enlistment(boolean), initial-pool-size(int),
capacity-incrementer-class(string),
capacity-incrementer-properties("type" => OBJECT, "value-type" => STRING),
capacity-decrementer-class(string),
capacity-decrementer-properties("type" => OBJECT, "value-type" => STRING)

3)
Reasons: new flush strategy
Channges: constant accepted for flush-strategy will changes

Datasources
Reasons: changes to support new attributes:
changes: we will have new attributes called initial-pool-size(int),
capacity-incrementer-class(string),
capacity-incrementer-properties("type" => OBJECT, "value-type" => STRING),
capacity-decrementer-class(string),
capacity-decrementer-properties("type" => OBJECT, "value-type" => STRING),
url-property (string)

I'm working on all those points. I'll follow up on this thread if I
realize I need more changes.

regards

Re: Community AS8 Management API Changes and Freeze Dates

Brian Stansberry
Thanks, Stefano.

On 4/12/13 8:05 AM, Stefano Maestri wrote:

> [...]
> capacity-decrementer-class(string),
> capacity-decrementer-properties("type" => OBJECT, "value-type" => STRING)
>
> 3)
> Reasons: new flush strategy
> Channges: constant accepted for flush-strategy will changes
>

> Datasources
> Reasons: changes to support new attributes:
> changes: we will have new attributes called initial-pool-size(int),
> capacity-incrementer-class(string),
> capacity-incrementer-properties("type" => OBJECT, "value-type" => STRING),
> capacity-decrementer-class(string),
> capacity-decrementer-properties("type" => OBJECT, "value-type" => STRING),
> url-property (string)
>

> I'm working on all those points. I'll follow up on this thread if I
> realize I need more changes.
>
> regards

Re: Community AS8 Management API Changes and Freeze Dates

For batch integration into AS 8, we will add some basic management
capabilities for batch jobs, executions, and step metrics.  They can be
accessed from both admin console and cli.  Initially these are mostly
read operations and I expect the management framework already fully
support them.

Cheng