Component upgrade window callback

Emmanuel Bernard
Hey all,

In the past, the Hibernate team has missed quite a few Wildfly upgrade trains or had to run alongside to jump in it while it was taking off. I’m sure other components are in the same boat. The main problem is that we don’t really have a clear signal saying component upgrade window opened until date yyyy-mm-dd, or if it exists we are not watching it.

Since our objective is to get the latest and greatest of our tech in Wildfly as soon as possible, I wonder if we can put in place some kind of callback process to know when we should get our act together is a less stressful way.

Thoughts?

Emmanuel

Re: Component upgrade window callback

Bill Burke
Maybe start using wildfly-dev list again instead of IRC?

On 7/27/17 12:16 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> In the past, the Hibernate team has missed quite a few Wildfly upgrade trains or had to run alongside to jump in it while it was taking off. I’m sure other components are in the same boat. The main problem is that we don’t really have a clear signal saying component upgrade window opened until date yyyy-mm-dd, or if it exists we are not watching it.
>
> Since our objective is to get the latest and greatest of our tech in Wildfly as soon as possible, I wonder if we can put in place some kind of callback process to know when we should get our act together is a less stressful way.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Emmanuel

Re: Component upgrade window callback

We usually launch a call at the start of the release for suggestions of features of significance, including notable updates. 11 has been focused on the Elytron work that was set aside on the back burner for 10, and for 10.1 we decided to target out of the box HTTP/2. In the hibernate case Scott M usually coordinates major updates with Steve, since he usually has to update the integration code. We want to make two major improvements though:

1) Less time between releases (speed them up a bit more) - hopefully reducing the friction for getting updates in
2) We have a provisioning project that is underway, which will facilitate the ability to have overlaying update feature streams, so that, for example, the hibernate project could have a “latest” stream that users could subscribe to (Although we would like for WildFly master to still stay current, as long as there is a plan for how compatibility is handled)

-Jason

> On Jul 27, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Emmanuel Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> In the past, the Hibernate team has missed quite a few Wildfly upgrade trains or had to run alongside to jump in it while it was taking off. I’m sure other components are in the same boat. The main problem is that we don’t really have a clear signal saying component upgrade window opened until date yyyy-mm-dd, or if it exists we are not watching it.
>
> Since our objective is to get the latest and greatest of our tech in Wildfly as soon as possible, I wonder if we can put in place some kind of callback process to know when we should get our act together is a less stressful way.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Emmanuel

Re: Component upgrade window callback

Tristan Tarrant
Jason,

I guess I'm not the only one who feels that the WildFly development
process has become excessively opaque:

- no regular tags from the development branch. There was an Alpha1
release which was announced only on Twitter with no real release notes
(nobody is going to look at an arid list of Jiras) and nothing on the
wildfly.org site. Without milestones releases it is difficult to plan
checkpoints for testing integration.
- no public high-level roadmap on wildfly.org. Again, Jira is really for
the consumption of the core developers, not for the wider community. I'm
sure Elytron is not the only thing that is landing in WildFly 11 aside
from the usual slew of component upgrades.
- no blogging on any new features / changes / designs.

Tristan

On 7/28/17 4:06 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

> We usually launch a call at the start of the release for suggestions of features of significance, including notable updates. 11 has been focused on the Elytron work that was set aside on the back burner for 10, and for 10.1 we decided to target out of the box HTTP/2. In the hibernate case Scott M usually coordinates major updates with Steve, since he usually has to update the integration code. We want to make two major improvements though:
>
> 1) Less time between releases (speed them up a bit more) - hopefully reducing the friction for getting updates in
> 2) We have a provisioning project that is underway, which will facilitate the ability to have overlaying update feature streams, so that, for example, the hibernate project could have a “latest” stream that users could subscribe to (Although we would like for WildFly master to still stay current, as long as there is a plan for how compatibility is handled)
>
> -Jason
>
>> On Jul 27, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Emmanuel Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> In the past, the Hibernate team has missed quite a few Wildfly upgrade trains or had to run alongside to jump in it while it was taking off. I’m sure other components are in the same boat. The main problem is that we don’t really have a clear signal saying component upgrade window opened until date yyyy-mm-dd, or if it exists we are not watching it.
>>
>> Since our objective is to get the latest and greatest of our tech in Wildfly as soon as possible, I wonder if we can put in place some kind of callback process to know when we should get our act together is a less stressful way.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Emmanuel

> Jason T. Greene

Tristan Tarrant
Infinispan Lead

Re: Component upgrade window callback

Emmanuel Bernard
Thanks for the input.

One thing to note. While Scott looks at the Hibernate ORM / Wildfly combo, we also have Hibernate Validator and Hibernate Search.

+1 for the suggestion call on Wildfly-Dev - as long as the release is not too many months in the future otherwise we enter a very blurry picture of what can be accomplished. We (library-ists) will try and make concrete actions when we see the call, instead of ignoring it today.
I like the provisioning project idea. As you say, it's not a full substitute as you want the primary distro to be as fresh as possible.

> On 28 Jul 2017, at 04:06, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We usually launch a call at the start of the release for suggestions of features of significance, including notable updates. 11 has been focused on the Elytron work that was set aside on the back burner for 10, and for 10.1 we decided to target out of the box HTTP/2. In the hibernate case Scott M usually coordinates major updates with Steve, since he usually has to update the integration code. We want to make two major improvements though:
>
> 1) Less time between releases (speed them up a bit more) - hopefully reducing the friction for getting updates in
> 2) We have a provisioning project that is underway, which will facilitate the ability to have overlaying update feature streams, so that, for example, the hibernate project could have a “latest” stream that users could subscribe to (Although we would like for WildFly master to still stay current, as long as there is a plan for how compatibility is handled)
>
> -Jason
>
>> On Jul 27, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Emmanuel Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> In the past, the Hibernate team has missed quite a few Wildfly upgrade trains or had to run alongside to jump in it while it was taking off. I’m sure other components are in the same boat. The main problem is that we don’t really have a clear signal saying component upgrade window opened until date yyyy-mm-dd, or if it exists we are not watching it.
>>
>> Since our objective is to get the latest and greatest of our tech in Wildfly as soon as possible, I wonder if we can put in place some kind of callback process to know when we should get our act together is a less stressful way.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Emmanuel

> Jason T. Greene

Re: Component upgrade window callback

Gunnar Morling
We (library-ists) will try and make concrete actions when we see the call, instead of ignoring it today.

+1 It'd help to have an announcement on wildfly-dev with some dates until when updates can be easily delivered for a given release.

I like the provisioning project idea. As you say, it's not a full substitute as you want the primary distro to be as fresh as possible.

On that one, we already provide module ZIPs or even patch files which make it very easy to upgrade WF to the latest and greatest, e.g. for Hibernate Validator. But of course it'd be even better if that's not required for the user.