Console 1.1.0 Update

Heiko Braun

Notable changes in AS 7.1.1 at a glance:

Additional Subsystems:
- infinispan
- jgroups
- modcluster
- mail

Environment Properties:
The ability to view any system property that has been passed to the JVM when the server was started.

What's next?
In the next iteration we'll focus on accessibility issues (508 compliance), remaining translations and missing runtime operations (i.e. modcluster).

Thanks to Stan, Pavel and David for their contributions.

Regards, Heiko

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Andrig Miller
Awesome work guys!

Andy

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Paul Gier
The 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 versions of the console are a lot larger than the
previous 1.0.x versions.  Is this expected?

jboss-as-console-1.0.2.Final-resources.jar ~ 10MB
jboss-as-console-1.2.0.Final-resources.jar ~ 46MB

On 03/06/2012 03:22 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> Notable changes in AS 7.1.1 at a glance:
>
> /Additional Subsystems:/
> - infinispan
> - jgroups
> - modcluster
> - mail
>
> /Environment Properties:/
> The ability to view any system property that has been passed to the JVM
> when the server was started.
>
> /What's next?/
> In the next iteration we'll focus on accessibility issues (508
> compliance), remaining translations and missing runtime operations (i.e.
> modcluster).
>

> Thanks to Stan, Pavel and David for their contributions.
>

> Regards, Heiko
>

> *
> *

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Benjamin Browning
I brought this up in #jboss-as7 a while back after being baffled at how much larger AS 7.1.1 was than 7.1.0. Apparently it's all GWT permutations or something silly.

If we translate the console into a few more languages all the GWT permutations may soon surpass the size of everything else in the entire distribution ;)

Ben

On Mar 29, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Paul Gier wrote:

> The 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 versions of the console are a lot larger than the
> previous 1.0.x versions.  Is this expected?
>
> jboss-as-console-1.0.2.Final-resources.jar ~ 10MB
> jboss-as-console-1.2.0.Final-resources.jar ~ 46MB
>
> On 03/06/2012 03:22 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>
>> Notable changes in AS 7.1.1 at a glance:
>>
>> /Additional Subsystems:/
>> - infinispan
>> - jgroups
>> - modcluster
>> - mail
>>
>> /Environment Properties:/
>> The ability to view any system property that has been passed to the JVM
>> when the server was started.
>>
>> /What's next?/
>> In the next iteration we'll focus on accessibility issues (508
>> compliance), remaining translations and missing runtime operations (i.e.
>> modcluster).
>>

>> Thanks to Stan, Pavel and David for their contributions.
>>

>> Regards, Heiko
>>

>> *
>> *

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Heiko Braun

let me check what's going on. additional languages are one explanation,
but there must be something else that doesn't belong here.

ike

On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:17 PM, Benjamin Browning wrote:

> I brought this up in #jboss-as7 a while back after being baffled at how much larger AS 7.1.1 was than 7.1.0. Apparently it's all GWT permutations or something silly.
>
> If we translate the console into a few more languages all the GWT permutations may soon surpass the size of everything else in the entire distribution ;)
>
> Ben
>
> On Mar 29, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Paul Gier wrote:
>
>> The 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 versions of the console are a lot larger than the
>> previous 1.0.x versions.  Is this expected?
>>
>> jboss-as-console-1.0.2.Final-resources.jar ~ 10MB
>> jboss-as-console-1.2.0.Final-resources.jar ~ 46MB
>>
>> On 03/06/2012 03:22 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>>
>>> Notable changes in AS 7.1.1 at a glance:
>>>
>>> /Additional Subsystems:/
>>> - infinispan
>>> - jgroups
>>> - modcluster
>>> - mail
>>>
>>> /Environment Properties:/
>>> The ability to view any system property that has been passed to the JVM
>>> when the server was started.
>>>
>>> /What's next?/
>>> In the next iteration we'll focus on accessibility issues (508
>>> compliance), remaining translations and missing runtime operations (i.e.
>>> modcluster).
>>>

>>> Thanks to Stan, Pavel and David for their contributions.
>>>

>>> Regards, Heiko
>>>

>>> *
>>> *

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

it's the .gz contents that have been added. they are use to provide gzip encoded http responses.
but this feature is currently not implemented.

On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:17 PM, Benjamin Browning wrote:

> I brought this up in #jboss-as7 a while back after being baffled at how much larger AS 7.1.1 was than 7.1.0. Apparently it's all GWT permutations or something silly.
>
> If we translate the console into a few more languages all the GWT permutations may soon surpass the size of everything else in the entire distribution ;)
>
> Ben
>
> On Mar 29, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Paul Gier wrote:
>
>> The 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 versions of the console are a lot larger than the
>> previous 1.0.x versions.  Is this expected?
>>
>> jboss-as-console-1.0.2.Final-resources.jar ~ 10MB
>> jboss-as-console-1.2.0.Final-resources.jar ~ 46MB
>>
>> On 03/06/2012 03:22 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>>
>>> Notable changes in AS 7.1.1 at a glance:
>>>
>>> /Additional Subsystems:/
>>> - infinispan
>>> - jgroups
>>> - modcluster
>>> - mail
>>>
>>> /Environment Properties:/
>>> The ability to view any system property that has been passed to the JVM
>>> when the server was started.
>>>
>>> /What's next?/
>>> In the next iteration we'll focus on accessibility issues (508
>>> compliance), remaining translations and missing runtime operations (i.e.
>>> modcluster).
>>>

>>> Thanks to Stan, Pavel and David for their contributions.
>>>

>>> Regards, Heiko
>>>

>>> *
>>> *

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Darran Lofthouse-2
I wonder if we could review gzipping content ourselves within the HTTP
server?

On 03/30/2012 08:36 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> it's the .gz contents that have been added. they are use to provide gzip encoded http responses.
> but this feature is currently not implemented.
>

> On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:17 PM, Benjamin Browning wrote:
>
>> I brought this up in #jboss-as7 a while back after being baffled at how much larger AS 7.1.1 was than 7.1.0. Apparently it's all GWT permutations or something silly.
>>
>> If we translate the console into a few more languages all the GWT permutations may soon surpass the size of everything else in the entire distribution ;)
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> On Mar 29, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Paul Gier wrote:
>>
>>> The 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 versions of the console are a lot larger than the
>>> previous 1.0.x versions.  Is this expected?
>>>
>>> jboss-as-console-1.0.2.Final-resources.jar ~ 10MB
>>> jboss-as-console-1.2.0.Final-resources.jar ~ 46MB

Darran Lofthouse - Principal Software Engineer

Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Tomaz Cerar
The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language
That means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the big
size...

Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?

--
tomaz

let me check what's going on. additional languages are one explanation,
but there must be something else that doesn't belong here.

ike

On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:17 PM, Benjamin Browning wrote:

> I brought this up in #jboss-as7 a while back after being baffled at how
much larger AS 7.1.1 was than 7.1.0. Apparently it's all GWT permutations
or something silly.

> If we translate the console into a few more languages all the GWT
> permutations may soon surpass the size of everything else in the
> entire distribution ;)
>
> Ben
>
> On Mar 29, 2012, at 12:32 PM, Paul Gier wrote:
>
>> The 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 versions of the console are a lot larger than the
>> previous 1.0.x versions.  Is this expected?
>>
>> jboss-as-console-1.0.2.Final-resources.jar ~ 10MB
>> jboss-as-console-1.2.0.Final-resources.jar ~ 46MB
>>
>> On 03/06/2012 03:22 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>>
>>> Notable changes in AS 7.1.1 at a glance:
>>>
>>> /Additional Subsystems:/
>>> - infinispan
>>> - jgroups
>>> - modcluster
>>> - mail
>>>
>>> /Environment Properties:/
>>> The ability to view any system property that has been passed to the
>>> JVM when the server was started.
>>>
>>> /What's next?/
>>> In the next iteration we'll focus on accessibility issues (508
>>> compliance), remaining translations and missing runtime operations
(i.e.

>>> modcluster).
>>>

>>> Thanks to Stan, Pavel and David for their contributions.
>>>

>>> Regards, Heiko
>>>

>>> *
>>> *

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Heiko Braun

w/o the the gzipped contents it about 20mb. still much but unavoidable.
an alternative wold be switching to gzipped only. afaik all major browsers do support it.

but yes, we can also look into reducing the number of permutations.

On Mar 30, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:

> The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language
> That means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
> permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the big
> size...
>
> Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?
>
> --
> tomaz

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Is there no alternative for us to do some form of just in time
processing for the languages as the resources are served?  We have
complete control of the HTTP server if we needed to insert something
additional there.

Alternatively I do see now why many companies offer different localized
downloads now - as an alternative could we provide alternative downloads
to add support for different languages to your AS installation.

On 03/30/2012 10:23 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:

> The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language
> That means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
> permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the big
> size...
>
> Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?
>
> --
> tomaz

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

I have it implemented it, but didn't send the pull yet, because i wanted todo some further testing:

https://github.com/heiko-braun/jboss-as/tree/gzip_AS7-3977

The corresponding JIRA is here:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3977

The patch would deliver gzipped contents if two criteria's are matched:

a) browsers supports it (accept encoding header)
b) the actual file exists as gzipped content (additional *.gz )

But b) means, it needs to be gzipped when the artifact is packaged. I didn't consider on the fly encoding due to the performance impact. That's actually the reason the console artifact size did increase.

Regards, Heiko

On Mar 30, 2012, at 11:21 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> I wonder if we could review gzipping content ourselves within the HTTP
> server?
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 03/30/2012 08:36 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>

>> it's the .gz contents that have been added. they are use to provide gzip encoded http responses.
>> but this feature is currently not implemented.
>>

>> On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:17 PM, Benjamin Browning wrote:
>>
>>> I brought this up in #jboss-as7 a while back after being baffled at how much larger AS 7.1.1 was than 7.1.0. Apparently it's all GWT permutations or something silly.
>>>
>>> If we translate the console into a few more languages all the GWT permutations may soon surpass the size of everything else in the entire distribution ;)
>>>
>>> Ben

> Darran Lofthouse - Principal Software Engineer
>
> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
> Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
> (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Carlo de Wolf
Or we could make the notion of a package manager a first class citizen
in AS 7 and let it handle different downloadable setups.

For example the one Jaikiran wrote some time back:
https://github.com/wolfc/jboss-package-manager
(Given that rpms are not everywhere ;-) )

Carlo

> Is there no alternative for us to do some form of just in time
> processing for the languages as the resources are served?  We have
> complete control of the HTTP server if we needed to insert something
> additional there.
>
> Alternatively I do see now why many companies offer different localized
> downloads now - as an alternative could we provide alternative downloads
> to add support for different languages to your AS installation.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 03/30/2012 10:23 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>> The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language
>> That means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
>> permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the big
>> size...
>>
>> Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?
>>
>> --
>> tomaz

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

no, it's an implication of the chosen technology. the way GWT split's the client artifact may have certain drawbacks (deliverable file size is bigger due to the number of permutations), but it actually increases the  performance for each client.

what you are asking for is actually taken care of by the GWT compiler: it split's the browser/language combinations into reasonable chunks that are used on their own. each client get's exactly what it needs an nothing more. the large file size doesn't mean each client needs to download everything of it. the decision what need to be loaded is done on the fly, client side.

but to be honest: i don't care that much about the download size. what matters more to me is still the performance and user experience of the actual web application. 10 mb less or more are ridiculously small compared to what the average internet user consumes every day.

/Ike

On Mar 30, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> Is there no alternative for us to do some form of just in time
> processing for the languages as the resources are served?  We have
> complete control of the HTTP server if we needed to insert something
> additional there.
>
> Alternatively I do see now why many companies offer different localized
> downloads now - as an alternative could we provide alternative downloads
> to add support for different languages to your AS installation.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 03/30/2012 10:23 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>> The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language
>> That means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
>> permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the big
>> size...
>>
>> Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?
>>
>> --
>> tomaz

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

guess that one is for the nerds list, right?

On Mar 30, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> Or we could make the notion of a package manager a first class citizen
> in AS 7 and let it handle different downloadable setups.
>
> For example the one Jaikiran wrote some time back:
> https://github.com/wolfc/jboss-package-manager
> (Given that rpms are not everywhere ;-) )
>
> Carlo
>
> On 03/30/2012 11:28 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Is there no alternative for us to do some form of just in time
>> processing for the languages as the resources are served?  We have
>> complete control of the HTTP server if we needed to insert something
>> additional there.
>>
>> Alternatively I do see now why many companies offer different localized
>> downloads now - as an alternative could we provide alternative downloads
>> to add support for different languages to your AS installation.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>> On 03/30/2012 10:23 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>>> The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language
>>> That means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
>>> permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the big
>>> size...
>>>
>>> Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?
>>>
>>> --
>>> tomaz

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Nicklas Karlsson
Personally I would prefer a slim AS and only English. For better or worse, English is the defacto language of the Internet, Computer Science etc. The console is an expert tool and I would be surprised to find a person that would both a) know what to do with the console and b) not understand the English used.

Of course there might be political reasons for multi-language support etc, just my 2c...

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

guess that one is for the nerds list, right?

On Mar 30, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> Or we could make the notion of a package manager a first class citizen
> in AS 7 and let it handle different downloadable setups.
>
> For example the one Jaikiran wrote some time back:
> https://github.com/wolfc/jboss-package-manager
> (Given that rpms are not everywhere ;-) )
>
> Carlo
>
> On 03/30/2012 11:28 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Is there no alternative for us to do some form of just in time
>> processing for the languages as the resources are served?  We have
>> complete control of the HTTP server if we needed to insert something
>> additional there.
>>
>> Alternatively I do see now why many companies offer different localized
>> downloads now - as an alternative could we provide alternative downloads
>> to add support for different languages to your AS installation.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>> On 03/30/2012 10:23 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>>> The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language
>>> That means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
>>> permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the big
>>> size...
>>>
>>> Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?
>>>
>>> --
>>> tomaz

---
Nik

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

When I first started looking at AS 7 it did seem ideally suited to some
form of package manager so we could offer some form of minimal download
that then only subsequently downloads the required modules.

On 03/30/2012 10:41 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> Or we could make the notion of a package manager a first class citizen
> in AS 7 and let it handle different downloadable setups.
>
> For example the one Jaikiran wrote some time back:
> https://github.com/wolfc/jboss-package-manager
> (Given that rpms are not everywhere ;-) )
>
> Carlo
>
> On 03/30/2012 11:28 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Is there no alternative for us to do some form of just in time
>> processing for the languages as the resources are served?  We have
>> complete control of the HTTP server if we needed to insert something
>> additional there.
>>
>> Alternatively I do see now why many companies offer different localized
>> downloads now - as an alternative could we provide alternative downloads
>> to add support for different languages to your AS installation.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>> On 03/30/2012 10:23 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>>> The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language
>>> That means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
>>> permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the big
>>> size...
>>>
>>> Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?
>>>
>>> --
>>> tomaz

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Heiko Braun

i think glassfish has something like this.

this could as well be useful for patching.

On Mar 30, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> When I first started looking at AS 7 it did seem ideally suited to some
> form of package manager so we could offer some form of minimal download
> that then only subsequently downloads the required modules.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 03/30/2012 10:41 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
>> Or we could make the notion of a package manager a first class citizen
>> in AS 7 and let it handle different downloadable setups.
>>
>> For example the one Jaikiran wrote some time back:
>> https://github.com/wolfc/jboss-package-manager
>> (Given that rpms are not everywhere ;-) )
>>
>> Carlo
>>
>> On 03/30/2012 11:28 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>> Is there no alternative for us to do some form of just in time
>>> processing for the languages as the resources are served?  We have
>>> complete control of the HTTP server if we needed to insert something
>>> additional there.
>>>
>>> Alternatively I do see now why many companies offer different localized
>>> downloads now - as an alternative could we provide alternative downloads
>>> to add support for different languages to your AS installation.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Darran Lofthouse.

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

Tomaz Cerar
Didn't Ales implemented some kind of prototype that did just that?
He blogged about this:
http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/MyJBossAS7Experiments

--
tomaz

When I first started looking at AS 7 it did seem ideally suited to some
form of package manager so we could offer some form of minimal download
that then only subsequently downloads the required modules.

On 03/30/2012 10:41 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:

> Or we could make the notion of a package manager a first class citizen
> in AS 7 and let it handle different downloadable setups.
>
> For example the one Jaikiran wrote some time back:
> https://github.com/wolfc/jboss-package-manager
> (Given that rpms are not everywhere ;-) )
>
> Carlo
>
> On 03/30/2012 11:28 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Is there no alternative for us to do some form of just in time
>> processing for the languages as the resources are served?  We have
>> complete control of the HTTP server if we needed to insert something
>> additional there.
>>
>> Alternatively I do see now why many companies offer different
>> localized downloads now - as an alternative could we provide
>> alternative downloads to add support for different languages to your AS
installation.

>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>> On 03/30/2012 10:23 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>>> The thing is that GTW does permutation of user-agent / language That
>>> means if we support 6 languages and 7 user-agents we get 42
>>> permutations. Every permutation Is 1.2mb (IIRC) that gives you the
>>> big size...
>>>
>>> Maybe we can skip some old and obscure useragents?
>>>
>>> --
>>> tomaz

Re: Console 1.1.0 Update

For this kind of issue over the years I have seen the following kinds of
complaints about our distributions: -

  - Download too large.
  - Server to slow to start.
  - First access to X to slow.
  - Too many downloads to choose from and too many downloads for us to
maintain.

I don't know if you ever get this complete set resolved ;-)