Console does not support install/start semantic for bundles

Console does not support install/start semantic for bundles

Thomas Diesler
Folks,

now that we deploy through the GWT console it's a real usability issue that we don't have a way to determine whether an OSGi bundle should be automatically started when deployed through the management API.

Here the related issues

[AS7-3693] Console does not support install/start semantic for bundles
[AS7-3694] Allow management client to associate metadata with DeploymentUnit
[AS7-2777] Add notion of start/stop for deployments
[AS7-378]  Support notion of deployment set

I could have a go at this set of problems because it directly relates to OSGi bundle deployment. Please note, that JSR-88 also has the notion of start/stop for JavaEE deployments. You can for example stop a webapp to temporarily make the http endpoint unavailable. Currently this is faked/hacked in the jsr88 impl.

I would post proposals for the individual subproblems.

#1 client metadata associated with the DU
#2 start/stop semantic for arbitrary deployments
#3 notion of deployment set and DUPs that can operate on the set rather than individual DU only

cheers
-thomas

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx