Quantcast

CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

Gandikota, Murthy

Hi All

Getting this error on Windows 7.  The command runs fine on Linux

CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

Please view this link for the full classpath given to java:

http://www.java-forums.org/apache-maven/87771-createprocess-error-206-filename-extension-too-long.html

The above is a fairly old post (April, 2014). Things may have changed in the mean time (the wheel of technology never stops, except for MSJ

I’d grateful for any help.

Best regards

Re: CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

Eduardo Sant´Ana da Silva
Could you provide more information?
What is your JDK version? Jboss/Wildfly version?
I found a similar issue but was solved a long time ago:

On Jul 7, 2015, at 4:27 PM, Gandikota, Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:

CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

Re: CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

Gandikota, Murthy

>What command are you running when you get this?

>any stack trace?

An engineer in my org has encountered while running a java process with a very long classpath on Windows 7. As Eduardo has indicated, there are a few options: eg. Pathing jar. Apparently there is no easy fix. If you could kindly provide one, I’d be grateful.

Here is the specific error we are seeing:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.cxf:cxf-java2ws-plugin:3.0.4:java2ws (process-classes-ivr) on project xyz: Error while executing process. Cannot run program "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\jre\bin\java.exe" (i
n directory "C:\dev\mycom\code\xyz\target"): CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long -> [Help 1]

Regards

Re: CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

Tomaž Cerar-2
Hey,

given the error you posted, problem is in apache cxf plugin.
This can be fixed in plugin itself, it should be using ProcessBuilder api instead of just executing command line.

I would suggest you report bug / post on their mailing list.

As workaround I would suggest you move JDK somewhere nearer root of drive,
something like c:\tools\jdk_1.8.0\ would probably make it work.

--
tomaz

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Gandikota, Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:

>What command are you running when you get this?

>any stack trace?

An engineer in my org has encountered while running a java process with a very long classpath on Windows 7. As Eduardo has indicated, there are a few options: eg. Pathing jar. Apparently there is no easy fix. If you could kindly provide one, I’d be grateful.

Here is the specific error we are seeing:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.cxf:cxf-java2ws-plugin:3.0.4:java2ws (process-classes-ivr) on project xyz: Error while executing process. Cannot run program "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\jre\bin\java.exe" (i
n directory "C:\dev\mycom\code\xyz\target"): CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long -> [Help 1]

Regards

Re: CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

robertvo
Also try "Long Path Tool". It helped me with Error  in Windows. Awesome one:)

Re: CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

cristopher
have you tried "LONG Path Tool" it is best tool if filename or extension to long.

Re: CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long

aiden carter
Thanks for your post,

The Long path tool is the very best program for error, unlock solution.
Try it and solved your problem.
I used the long path tool and I solved my error, unlocks problem solution.