Current development is now AS8!

Hello Everyone,

With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to instead be targeted for AS9.

More details will follow, but I recommend that everyone, if you haven't already, take a look at your respective areas, and the various spec changes required.

David has volunteered to compile a big jira list. Expect a followup with a link to all the issues.

Thanks!

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Current development is now AS8!

David Lloyd-2
On 02/20/2013 10:02 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to instead be targeted for AS9.
>
> More details will follow, but I recommend that everyone, if you haven't already, take a look at your respective areas, and the various spec changes required.
>
> David has volunteered to compile a big jira list. Expect a followup with a link to all the issues.

...And here it is!

The parent issue for all Java EE 7 tasks is (for now) here:

   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-6553

You can and should feel free to add more subtask items as they come up
or you become aware of them, but *please* make sure that each item you
add relates to *concrete* work to be done (i.e. no amorphous tasks like
"Make sure all tests are EE 7 compliant" or anything like that - every
task needs to have a clear measurable action plan).  If possible,
outline the steps that are expected to be taken right in the task
description.

Note that the JIRA project is still AS7 - we know!  It'll be taken care
of at some future date as soon as a few uninteresting issues are cleared up.

That said, if your tasks for EE 7 support are clear - feel free to jump
right in and get moving on it ASAP.  If you assign an issue to yourself,
please put in a brief comment summarizing your plan.

If there are design questions that need answering before you can moe
forward then don't put it off - start those discussions now, because now
is the time!

Re: Current development is now AS8!

Are we happy with Confluence or will we switch to something else for AS
8.0 doc?

On 02/20/2013 11:02 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to instead be targeted for AS9.
>
> More details will follow, but I recommend that everyone, if you haven't already, take a look at your respective areas, and the various spec changes required.
>
> David has volunteered to compile a big jira list. Expect a followup with a link to all the issues.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Jason T. Greene
> JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Current development is now AS8!

Steve Ebersole

How are y'all wanting to handle not-yet-complete specs (probably most of them at this point)?  For example, for JPA I keep the spec api jar up to date with the latest EG Draft drops.

On Feb 20, 2013 10:59 AM, "David M. Lloyd" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/20/2013 10:02 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to instead be targeted for AS9.
>
> More details will follow, but I recommend that everyone, if you haven't already, take a look at your respective areas, and the various spec changes required.
>
> David has volunteered to compile a big jira list. Expect a followup with a link to all the issues.

...And here it is!

The parent issue for all Java EE 7 tasks is (for now) here:

   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-6553

You can and should feel free to add more subtask items as they come up
or you become aware of them, but *please* make sure that each item you
add relates to *concrete* work to be done (i.e. no amorphous tasks like
"Make sure all tests are EE 7 compliant" or anything like that - every
task needs to have a clear measurable action plan).  If possible,
outline the steps that are expected to be taken right in the task
description.

Note that the JIRA project is still AS7 - we know!  It'll be taken care
of at some future date as soon as a few uninteresting issues are cleared up.

That said, if your tasks for EE 7 support are clear - feel free to jump
right in and get moving on it ASAP.  If you assign an issue to yourself,
please put in a brief comment summarizing your plan.

If there are design questions that need answering before you can moe
forward then don't put it off - start those discussions now, because now
is the time!

Re: Current development is now AS8!

David Lloyd-2
Just do what you can, when you can, and resolve the issue once the spec
is finalized (or you're reasonably assured that it's close enough).  At
some point we can call it "done" and cut over to doing case-by-case
fixes; when we make that transition is up to each assignee to decide.

On 02/20/2013 12:46 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> How are y'all wanting to handle not-yet-complete specs (probably most of
> them at this point)?  For example, for JPA I keep the spec api jar up to
> date with the latest EG Draft drops.
>
> On Feb 20, 2013 10:59 AM, "David M. Lloyd" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/20/2013 10:02 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>      > Hello Everyone,
>      >
>      > With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on
>     AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn
>     this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have
>     been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to
>     instead be targeted for AS9.
>      >
>      > More details will follow, but I recommend that everyone, if you
>     haven't already, take a look at your respective areas, and the
>     various spec changes required.
>      >
>      > David has volunteered to compile a big jira list. Expect a
>     followup with a link to all the issues.
>
>     ...And here it is!
>
>     The parent issue for all Java EE 7 tasks is (for now) here:
>
>     https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-6553
>
>     You can and should feel free to add more subtask items as they come up
>     or you become aware of them, but *please* make sure that each item you
>     add relates to *concrete* work to be done (i.e. no amorphous tasks like
>     "Make sure all tests are EE 7 compliant" or anything like that - every
>     task needs to have a clear measurable action plan).  If possible,
>     outline the steps that are expected to be taken right in the task
>     description.
>
>     Note that the JIRA project is still AS7 - we know!  It'll be taken care
>     of at some future date as soon as a few uninteresting issues are
>     cleared up.
>
>     That said, if your tasks for EE 7 support are clear - feel free to jump
>     right in and get moving on it ASAP.  If you assign an issue to yourself,
>     please put in a brief comment summarizing your plan.
>
>     If there are design questions that need answering before you can moe
>     forward then don't put it off - start those discussions now, because now
>     is the time!
>
>     --
>     - DML

Re: Current development is now AS8!

Where do we keep the AS7.2 (EAP 6.1) codebase?

On Feb 20, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Jason Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to instead be targeted for AS9.

Re: Current development is now AS8!

Cheng Fang
For JSR 352 Batch project, we currently duplicate api source as a
sub-module and periodically sync up with RI drop.  Recently the RI
started publishing api jars to maven central, so we will next remove
this sub-module and directly reference the api artifact.

https://github.com/jboss/jboss-javaee-specs could also start to include
some EE 7 api jars as they become available.

Cheng

On 2/20/13 2:52 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> Just do what you can, when you can, and resolve the issue once the spec
> is finalized (or you're reasonably assured that it's close enough).  At
> some point we can call it "done" and cut over to doing case-by-case
> fixes; when we make that transition is up to each assignee to decide.
>
> On 02/20/2013 12:46 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>> How are y'all wanting to handle not-yet-complete specs (probably most of
>> them at this point)?  For example, for JPA I keep the spec api jar up to
>> date with the latest EG Draft drops.
>>
>> On Feb 20, 2013 10:59 AM, "David M. Lloyd" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>      On 02/20/2013 10:02 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>>       > Hello Everyone,
>>       >
>>       > With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on
>>      AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn
>>      this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have
>>      been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to
>>      instead be targeted for AS9.
>>       >
>>       > More details will follow, but I recommend that everyone, if you
>>      haven't already, take a look at your respective areas, and the
>>      various spec changes required.
>>       >
>>       > David has volunteered to compile a big jira list. Expect a
>>      followup with a link to all the issues.
>>
>>      ...And here it is!
>>
>>      The parent issue for all Java EE 7 tasks is (for now) here:
>>
>>      https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-6553
>>
>>      You can and should feel free to add more subtask items as they come up
>>      or you become aware of them, but *please* make sure that each item you
>>      add relates to *concrete* work to be done (i.e. no amorphous tasks like
>>      "Make sure all tests are EE 7 compliant" or anything like that - every
>>      task needs to have a clear measurable action plan).  If possible,
>>      outline the steps that are expected to be taken right in the task
>>      description.
>>
>>      Note that the JIRA project is still AS7 - we know!  It'll be taken care
>>      of at some future date as soon as a few uninteresting issues are
>>      cleared up.
>>
>>      That said, if your tasks for EE 7 support are clear - feel free to jump
>>      right in and get moving on it ASAP.  If you assign an issue to yourself,
>>      please put in a brief comment summarizing your plan.
>>
>>      If there are design questions that need answering before you can moe
>>      forward then don't put it off - start those discussions now, because now
>>      is the time!
>>
>>      --
>>      - DML

Re: Current development is now AS8!

Bill Burke

On 2/20/2013 2:52 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> Just do what you can, when you can, and resolve the issue once the spec
> is finalized (or you're reasonably assured that it's close enough).  At
> some point we can call it "done" and cut over to doing case-by-case
> fixes; when we make that transition is up to each assignee to decide.

IMO, you should do AS8 beta releases early and often.  Like whenever one
of these new EE7 features is integrated into AS codebase.  You should
also make it clear that AS8 has rolled in all fixes from AS7 branch/EAP.
  That way it encourages community-only users that want these fixes to
start using AS8 and the new major revs of of our sub projects.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: Current development is now AS8!

Fernando Lozano

> Hello Everyone,
>
> With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to instead be targeted for AS9.

There will be binary downloads for anything between 7.1.1.Final  and the
future AS8? Or are comunity users supposed to be all developers, willing
to grab the sources and compiling themselves?

[]s, Fernando Lozano

On 02/21/2013 09:16 AM, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 2/20/2013 2:52 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> Just do what you can, when you can, and resolve the issue once the spec
>> is finalized (or you're reasonably assured that it's close enough).  At
>> some point we can call it "done" and cut over to doing case-by-case
>> fixes; when we make that transition is up to each assignee to decide.
>>

> IMO, you should do AS8 beta releases early and often.  Like whenever one
> of these new EE7 features is integrated into AS codebase.  You should
> also make it clear that AS8 has rolled in all fixes from AS7 branch/EAP.
>    That way it encourages community-only users that want these fixes to
> start using AS8 and the new major revs of of our sub projects.

I agree.  We need to wake the community back up again :)

Re: Current development is now AS8!

James Perkins
+1000

On 02/21/2013 08:47 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> On 02/21/2013 09:16 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>
>> On 2/20/2013 2:52 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>> Just do what you can, when you can, and resolve the issue once the spec
>>> is finalized (or you're reasonably assured that it's close enough).  At
>>> some point we can call it "done" and cut over to doing case-by-case
>>> fixes; when we make that transition is up to each assignee to decide.
>>>
>> IMO, you should do AS8 beta releases early and often.  Like whenever one
>> of these new EE7 features is integrated into AS codebase.  You should
>> also make it clear that AS8 has rolled in all fixes from AS7 branch/EAP.
>>     That way it encourages community-only users that want these fixes to
>> start using AS8 and the new major revs of of our sub projects.
> I agree.  We need to wake the community back up again :)

--
James R. Perkins

On Feb 21, 2013, at 10:10 AM, Fernando Lozano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to instead be targeted for AS9.
>>

> There will be binary downloads for anything between 7.1.1.Final  and the
> future AS8? Or are comunity users supposed to be all developers, willing
> to grab the sources and compiling themselves?

7.2.0.Final is in prerelease, so it's not yet out (still running through testing). However the main master tree is now pointing towards 8.

On 02/20/2013 10:58 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> On 02/20/2013 10:02 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> With the prerelease tagging of 7.2.0.Final. The focus is now on AS8, and it's primary focus will be EE7. Our hope is to try to turn this release around quickly, so some of the other changes we have been discussing (e.g. revamping management SPIs) are going to instead be targeted for AS9.
>>
>> More details will follow, but I recommend that everyone, if you haven't already, take a look at your respective areas, and the various spec changes required.
>>
>> David has volunteered to compile a big jira list. Expect a followup with a link to all the issues.
>
> ...And here it is!
>
> The parent issue for all Java EE 7 tasks is (for now) here:
>
>     https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-6553
>
> You can and should feel free to add more subtask items as they come up
> or you become aware of them, but *please* make sure that each item you
> add relates to *concrete* work to be done (i.e. no amorphous tasks like
> "Make sure all tests are EE 7 compliant" or anything like that - every
> task needs to have a clear measurable action plan).  If possible,
> outline the steps that are expected to be taken right in the task
> description.
>
> Note that the JIRA project is still AS7 - we know!  It'll be taken care
> of at some future date as soon as a few uninteresting issues are cleared up.
>
> That said, if your tasks for EE 7 support are clear - feel free to jump
> right in and get moving on it ASAP.  If you assign an issue to yourself,
> please put in a brief comment summarizing your plan.
>
> If there are design questions that need answering before you can moe
> forward then don't put it off - start those discussions now, because now
> is the time!

The gold star for First Java EE 7 Issue Resolved goes to Stuart for:

   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-6588

The list is now complete as far as I am aware, so feel free to grab a
task and dig into it.

Java EE APIs for EE 7

Shelly McGowan

About the Java EE API specs project . . .

I've updated the Java EE API specs project with a README which discusses the project goals:
https://github.com/jboss/jboss-javaee-specs/blob/master/README.md

The repos for the EE APIs are all available under https://github.com/jboss.  For the newer APIs required as part of the EE 7 platform,
we'll (me) need to create a new repository.  I'll be filing JBEE JIRAs to track the creation and population of those projects.

The repository for each API set is reused for updates to the Specification version that is implemented.

I've updated the Java EE API specs project with a README which discusses the project goals:
https://github.com/jboss/jboss-javaee-specs/blob/master/README.md

Once you update the repository with a later spec version, be sure to change the artifactId to reflect that.

For example, the recent commit for Java Annotation APIs to Spec version 1.2, the pom was adjusted from:

  <groupId>org.jboss.spec.javax.annotation</groupId>
   <artifactId>jboss-annotations-api_1.1_spec</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.2.Final</version>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>

  <groupId>org.jboss.spec.javax.annotation</groupId>
  <artifactId>jboss-annotations-api_1.2_spec</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.0.Final-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>

where the version is an arbitrary release version.  Reset to 1.0.0 as this is the first release of the APIs for v1.2 of the technology specification.

If we need to bug fix something for jboss-annotations-api_1.1_spec APIs, we'll branch off the latest Final tag.

When we have a full set of EE 7 APIs, I'll release a jboss-javaee-7.0 BOM to include the full set as a single dependency for your application development.

If you have any questions about the project, don't hesitate to contact me.  Also, file a JBEE JIRA[1] if there are issues.

Shelly

[1]https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBEE