DMR -> JMX bridge ?

John Mazzitelli
I was just informed that WildFly has a DMR -> JMX bridge, but I can't find anything on it. Is there such a thing or did I misunderstand?

Particularly, is it true that for each DMR resource in the WildFly resource tree there is an associated JMX MBean with analogous JMX attributes/operations as you see in DMR?

Can I do everything I want over JMX that I can do over the DMR management interface (I doubt deployments can be done over JMX, but maybe I'm wrong with that, too?) ???

I'm thinking I just misunderstand - wouldn't be the first time I was confused :)

Re: DMR -> JMX bridge ?

Emmanuel Hugonnet
Hi,
This is done in the JMX subsystem with the ModelControllerMBeanServerPlugin.
I'm not sure about limitations, but adding deployments should be possible.

Emmanuel

Le 06/03/2017 à 16:51, John Mazzitelli a écrit :

> I was just informed that WildFly has a DMR -> JMX bridge, but I can't find anything on it. Is there such a thing or did I misunderstand?
>
> Particularly, is it true that for each DMR resource in the WildFly resource tree there is an associated JMX MBean with analogous JMX attributes/operations as you see in DMR?
>
> Can I do everything I want over JMX that I can do over the DMR management interface (I doubt deployments can be done over JMX, but maybe I'm wrong with that, too?) ???
>
> I'm thinking I just misunderstand - wouldn't be the first time I was confused :)

Re: DMR -> JMX bridge ?

The mbeans are exposed in the jboss.as and jboss.as.expr JMX domains. The latter resolves expressions; the former does not so lots of attributes are exposed a strings to account for the possibility of an expression.

The view is read-only on a Host Controller process, including the master Domain Controller.

There is no support for the composite operation.

There is no support for request or response attachments. Request attachments are the standard way file uploads (e.g. deployments) to the server are done by non-raw-HTTP clients. (Raw HTTP clients like HAL use HTTP POST). Response attachments are used for the log-file viewer feature.

No request headers are supported (e.g. rollback-on-runtime-failure, allow-resource-service-restart, blocking-timeout, rollout-plan, run-as).

TBH I’ve forgotten how well we deal with complex attributes, but I suspect not very.

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 9:51 AM, John Mazzitelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was just informed that WildFly has a DMR -> JMX bridge, but I can't find anything on it. Is there such a thing or did I misunderstand?
>
> Particularly, is it true that for each DMR resource in the WildFly resource tree there is an associated JMX MBean with analogous JMX attributes/operations as you see in DMR?
>
> Can I do everything I want over JMX that I can do over the DMR management interface (I doubt deployments can be done over JMX, but maybe I'm wrong with that, too?) ???
>
> I'm thinking I just misunderstand - wouldn't be the first time I was confused :)

Re: DMR -> JMX bridge ?

Brian Stansberry

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The mbeans are exposed in the jboss.as and jboss.as.expr JMX domains. The latter resolves expressions; the former does not so lots of attributes are exposed a strings to account for the possibility of an expression.
>
> The view is read-only on a Host Controller process, including the master Domain Controller.

Also, proxying in a domain is not supported. You can see mbeans for resources local to the target process, but you can’t navigate to resources on other processes (i.e. from the DC to slave HCs or from an HC to its servers.)