DMR: treating key/value pairs right

Heiko Braun

We got a lot of places where key/value pairs are used as part of the configuration:

- system properties
- xa data source properties
- resource adapter config properties
- (put your subsystem here)

The most reasonable way to represent these properties within the model
is to make them sub resources which can be addressed on their own, i.e:

[standalone@localhost:9999 /] /system-property=hostType:read-resource
{
    "outcome" => "success",
    "result" => {"value" => "staging"}
}

why? because if they are represented like sub resources,
the implicit add/remove operations automatically apply:

[standalone@localhost:9999 /] /system-property=newProperty:add(value=someValue)
{"outcome" => "success"}

The same is true for querying their value as shown above.

This is request to unify the usage key/value pair configuration options like described above.
I'll go ahead and create JIRA's for the cases that I encounter and ask you kindly to change all occurrences
to the sub resource model representation.

Ike

Re: DMR: treating key/value pairs right

kkhan

On 22 Jul 2011, at 12:49, Heiko Braun wrote:

> We got a lot of places where key/value pairs are used as part of the configuration:
>
> - system properties
There is a JIRA for system properties: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-842
However, Brian and I thought it best to not change these until 7.1.0