Default values for Expressions

Heiko Braun

IMO the default value should be mandatory.
Simply to avoid configurations that are not usable.

Thoughts?

"Your ambiguity is killing me"

Ike

Re: Default values for Expressions

Heiko W.Rupp

Am 11.10.2011 um 11:03 schrieb Heiko Braun:

> IMO the default value should be mandatory.
> Simply to avoid configurations that are not usable.

+1

Re: Default values for Expressions

Heiko Braun

See, that's what I like about my alter ego.
He's always in agreement ;)

On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Am 11.10.2011 um 11:03 schrieb Heiko Braun:
>

>> IMO the default value should be mandatory.
>> Simply to avoid configurations that are not usable.
>
> +1

Re: Default values for Expressions

We've never required that before, so that would be something new users
would have to do.

Or are you just saying that our standard configs should always have
defaults? Thats different than having the thing that parses string
checking for expressions blow up if there's not default provided.

Am 11.10.2011 um 17:01 schrieb Brian Stansberry:

> Or are you just saying that our standard configs should always have
> defaults?

There should always be the "fallback" like ${jboss.bind.address:127.0.0.1}
in what we deliver.

Re: Default values for Expressions

Brian Stansberry
On 10/11/11 10:09 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Am 11.10.2011 um 17:01 schrieb Brian Stansberry:
>
>> Or are you just saying that our standard configs should always have
>> defaults?
>
> There should always be the "fallback" like ${jboss.bind.address:127.0.0.1}
> in what we deliver.

OK, +1 to that.

On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

There should always be the "fallback" like ${jboss.bind.address:127.0.0.1}
in what we deliver.

OK, +1 to that.

I did actually speak of the parser. IMO it would be better to enforce the default value.

On 10/11/11 12:48 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>>> There should always be the "fallback" like
>>> ${jboss.bind.address:127.0.0.1}
>>> in what we deliver.
>>>

>> OK, +1 to that.
>

> I did actually speak of the parser. IMO it would be better to enforce
> the default value.

If we're talking about a end-user provided expression, that is somewhat
a "sweep the problem under the rug" approach.

It's the admin's job to provide a proper value. By requiring a default
we remove from the customer the ability to force the admin to do their
job. We make someone stick in a default that may not be appropriate.

For sure we need to be more aggressive about immediately failing if we
can't resolve an expression though; i.e. never leaving it as an
unresolved string usable by calling ModelNode.asString().