Demos

Stuart Douglas
What do people think about getting rid of the demo's in the AS7 source tree?

IMHO the quickstarts contain much better examples of how to get started with AS7.

Some of the examples are used in tests, I think we should move these classes to the test suite and just remove the rest.

Re: Demos

Jaikiran Pai
I think that's a good idea. Initially when they were introduced I think
the goal was to make sure we don't break those demos while adding new
functionality and also let users have access to some functional
examples. The quickstarts are a better place to do that now. I think
some of the demos in there are also "workarounds" (and no longer
relevant) to some of the functionality that didn't exist early on.

-Jaikiran
On Thursday 23 February 2012 12:57 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> What do people think about getting rid of the demo's in the AS7 source tree?
>
> IMHO the quickstarts contain much better examples of how to get started with AS7.
>
> Some of the examples are used in tests, I think we should move these classes to the test suite and just remove the rest.
>
> Stuart

Re: Demos

kkhan
I worked on a lot of the initial ones, and totally agree. We have better examples now and whichever demos are still relevant are mainly relevant for testing.
On 23 Feb 2012, at 07:31, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> I think that's a good idea. Initially when they were introduced I think
> the goal was to make sure we don't break those demos while adding new
> functionality and also let users have access to some functional
> examples. The quickstarts are a better place to do that now. I think
> some of the demos in there are also "workarounds" (and no longer
> relevant) to some of the functionality that didn't exist early on.
>
> -Jaikiran
> On Thursday 23 February 2012 12:57 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>> What do people think about getting rid of the demo's in the AS7 source tree?
>>
>> IMHO the quickstarts contain much better examples of how to get started with AS7.
>>
>> Some of the examples are used in tests, I think we should move these classes to the test suite and just remove the rest.
>>
>> Stuart

Re: Demos

Darran Lofthouse
I have used the demos quite a bit to verify changes but I also think
they are no longer really needed and that the quickstarts have really
replaced the need - maybe we do need to make sure the quickstarts do
cover the same management scenarios.

Do we have anything that is capable of running the quickstarts as tests?
  That would be nice to automatically verify that those have not been
broken.

On 02/23/2012 09:48 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:

> I worked on a lot of the initial ones, and totally agree. We have better examples now and whichever demos are still relevant are mainly relevant for testing.
> On 23 Feb 2012, at 07:31, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>
>> I think that's a good idea. Initially when they were introduced I think
>> the goal was to make sure we don't break those demos while adding new
>> functionality and also let users have access to some functional
>> examples. The quickstarts are a better place to do that now. I think
>> some of the demos in there are also "workarounds" (and no longer
>> relevant) to some of the functionality that didn't exist early on.
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>> On Thursday 23 February 2012 12:57 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>>> What do people think about getting rid of the demo's in the AS7 source tree?
>>>
>>> IMHO the quickstarts contain much better examples of how to get started with AS7.
>>>
>>> Some of the examples are used in tests, I think we should move these classes to the test suite and just remove the rest.
>>>
>>> Stuart

Re: Demos

I have removed the Demo's, migrating all relevant classes to the smoke tests. I also cleaned up the smoke tests, so they now have a more sensible package structure.

Stuart