Deployment Phase documentation

kkhan
I made a very feeble start on documenting the deployment phases here: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Admin+Guide#AdminGuide-Deploymentphasesandattachments

If someone more familiar with the deployers has the cycles to improve on this I would really appreciate it. If not I will try again later this week once I've refamiliarized myself with the different parts.

Re: Deployment Phase documentation

Heiko Braun

IMO this doesn't belong in the admin guide.
The admin guide is intended to be used by the average sysadmin
and help them to configure and maintain application server instances.

deployment phases and attachments go way beyond that.

maybe the "Advanced Developer" guide is a more appropriate place.

On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Kabir Khan wrote:

> I made a very feeble start on documenting the deployment phases here: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Admin+Guide#AdminGuide-Deploymentphasesandattachments
>
> If someone more familiar with the deployers has the cycles to improve on this I would really appreciate it. If not I will try again later this week once I've refamiliarized myself with the different parts.

Re: Deployment Phase documentation

Sebastian Otaegui
my 2 cents:

I am a sysadmin, and as such I find it really helpful for troubleshooting issues to have a better understanding exactly what a system is doing and how it processes a deployment.

If it is not part of the admin guide at least there should be a reference in the admin guide to the chapter of theĀ "Advanced Developer" where the deployment phases are explained.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

IMO this doesn't belong in the admin guide.
The admin guide is intended to be used by the average sysadmin
and help them to configure and maintain application server instances.

deployment phases and attachments go way beyond that.

maybe the "Advanced Developer" guide is a more appropriate place.

On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Kabir Khan wrote:

> I made a very feeble start on documenting the deployment phases here: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Admin+Guide#AdminGuide-Deploymentphasesandattachments
>
> If someone more familiar with the deployers has the cycles to improve on this I would really appreciate it. If not I will try again later this week once I've refamiliarized myself with the different parts.

Any sufficiently recent Microsoft OS contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Unix.

Re: Deployment Phase documentation

kkhan
This is part of the Extending JBoss AS 7 chapter - there is talk about possibly making this a self-contained guide. I guess for now I could make it clearer at the start of the chapter that this is an advanced topic

On 20 Jul 2011, at 09:47, Sebastian Otaegui wrote:

> my 2 cents:
>
> I am a sysadmin, and as such I find it really helpful for troubleshooting issues to have a better understanding exactly what a system is doing and how it processes a deployment.
>
> If it is not part of the admin guide at least there should be a reference in the admin guide to the chapter of the "Advanced Developer" where the deployment phases are explained.
>

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> IMO this doesn't belong in the admin guide.
> The admin guide is intended to be used by the average sysadmin
> and help them to configure and maintain application server instances.
>
> deployment phases and attachments go way beyond that.
>
> maybe the "Advanced Developer" guide is a more appropriate place.
>

> On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Kabir Khan wrote:
>
> > I made a very feeble start on documenting the deployment phases here: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Admin+Guide#AdminGuide-Deploymentphasesandattachments
> >
> > If someone more familiar with the deployers has the cycles to improve on this I would really appreciate it. If not I will try again later this week once I've refamiliarized myself with the different parts.

> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
> Any sufficiently recent Microsoft OS contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Unix.

Re: Deployment Phase documentation

Brian Stansberry
I agree this should be a separate guide. The target audience for this
chapter is really ISVs or developers of projects that need to properly
integrate with the AS. If a regular sys admin browses the ToC, happens
to see some heading that seems relevant to some ordinary admin task, and
drops into this chapter he or she is likely to freak out a bit. ;)
Conversely, a subsystem developer may never even see this chapter.

Should all these guides include a brief bit early on linking to all the
other guides and briefly explaining what they are?

On 7/20/11 9:38 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:

> This is part of the Extending JBoss AS 7 chapter - there is talk about possibly making this a self-contained guide. I guess for now I could make it clearer at the start of the chapter that this is an advanced topic
>
> On 20 Jul 2011, at 09:47, Sebastian Otaegui wrote:
>
>> my 2 cents:
>>
>> I am a sysadmin, and as such I find it really helpful for troubleshooting issues to have a better understanding exactly what a system is doing and how it processes a deployment.
>>
>> If it is not part of the admin guide at least there should be a reference in the admin guide to the chapter of the "Advanced Developer" where the deployment phases are explained.
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Heiko Braun<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>

>> IMO this doesn't belong in the admin guide.
>> The admin guide is intended to be used by the average sysadmin
>> and help them to configure and maintain application server instances.
>>
>> deployment phases and attachments go way beyond that.
>>
>> maybe the "Advanced Developer" guide is a more appropriate place.
>>

>> On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:49 PM, Kabir Khan wrote:
>>
>>> I made a very feeble start on documenting the deployment phases here: https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Admin+Guide#AdminGuide-Deploymentphasesandattachments
>>>
>>> If someone more familiar with the deployers has the cycles to improve on this I would really appreciate it. If not I will try again later this week once I've refamiliarized myself with the different parts.

>> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
>> Any sufficiently recent Microsoft OS contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Unix.

Re: Deployment Phase documentation

Heiko Braun

I agree. It's good to see people like Sebastian dive a little further,
but I think he's the exception ti the rule ;)

Ike

On Jul 20, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> I agree this should be a separate guide. The target audience for this
> chapter is really ISVs or developers of projects that need to properly
> integrate with the AS. If a regular sys admin browses the ToC, happens
> to see some heading that seems relevant to some ordinary admin task, and
> drops into this chapter he or she is likely to freak out a bit. ;)
> Conversely, a subsystem developer may never even see this chapter.
>
> Should all these guides include a brief bit early on linking to all the
> other guides and briefly explaining what they are?
>
> On 7/20/11 9:38 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:
>> This is part of the Extending JBoss AS 7 chapter - there is talk about possibly making this a self-contained guide. I guess for now I could make it clearer at the start of the chapter that this is an advanced topic
>>
>> On 20 Jul 2011, at 09:47, Sebastian Otaegui wrote:
>>
>>> my 2 cents:
>>>
>>> I am a sysadmin, and as such I find it really helpful for troubleshooting issues to have a better understanding exactly what a system is doing and how it processes a deployment.
>>>
>>> If it is not part of the admin guide at least there should be a reference in the admin guide to the chapter of the "Advanced Developer" where the deployment phases are explained.
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Heiko Braun<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>

>>> IMO this doesn't belong in the admin guide.
>>> The admin guide is intended to be used by the average sysadmin
>>> and help them to configure and maintain application server instances.
>>>
>>> deployment phases and attachments go way beyond that.
>>>
>>> maybe the "Advanced Developer" guide is a more appropriate place.

>>> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
>>> Any sufficiently recent Microsoft OS contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Unix.

> Brian Stansberry
> Principal Software Engineer

Re: Deployment Phase documentation

Pete Muir

On 21 Jul 2011, at 08:37, Heiko Braun wrote:

> I agree. It's good to see people like Sebastian dive a little further,
> but I think he's the exception ti the rule ;)
>

> Ike
>
> On Jul 20, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> I agree this should be a separate guide. The target audience for this
>> chapter is really ISVs or developers of projects that need to properly
>> integrate with the AS. If a regular sys admin browses the ToC, happens
>> to see some heading that seems relevant to some ordinary admin task, and
>> drops into this chapter he or she is likely to freak out a bit. ;)
>> Conversely, a subsystem developer may never even see this chapter.
>>
>> Should all these guides include a brief bit early on linking to all the
>> other guides and briefly explaining what they are?

That's a good idea. It's easy with confluence to have a single page for this, that is then included in each guides. Could be something like a "Other guides in the series" section...

On 21 Jul 2011, at 11:04, Pete Muir wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2011, at 08:37, Heiko Braun wrote:
>

>> I agree. It's good to see people like Sebastian dive a little further,
>> but I think he's the exception ti the rule ;)
>>

>> Ike
>>
>> On Jul 20, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>
>>> I agree this should be a separate guide. The target audience for this
>>> chapter is really ISVs or developers of projects that need to properly
>>> integrate with the AS. If a regular sys admin browses the ToC, happens
>>> to see some heading that seems relevant to some ordinary admin task, and
>>> drops into this chapter he or she is likely to freak out a bit. ;)
>>> Conversely, a subsystem developer may never even see this chapter.
>>>
>>> Should all these guides include a brief bit early on linking to all the
>>> other guides and briefly explaining what they are?
>
> That's a good idea. It's easy with confluence to have a single page for this, that is then included in each guides. Could be something like a "Other guides in the series" section...
Very good point and idea

Re: Deployment Phase documentation

kkhan
I've made the Extending JBoss AS 7 doc a top-level guide, and created a page under 'Common'

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/All+JBoss+AS+7+documentation

which lists all the docs. All the guides now include this section at the end

Can you update https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Documentation with any new guides you add?

On 22 Jul 2011, at 11:26, Kabir Khan wrote:

> I've made the Extending JBoss AS 7 doc a top-level guide, and created a page under 'Common'
>
> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/All+JBoss+AS+7+documentation
>
> which lists all the docs. All the guides now include this section at the end
> On 21 Jul 2011, at 12:23, Kabir Khan wrote:

>>> That's a good idea. It's easy with confluence to have a single page for this, that is then included in each guides. Could be something like a "Other guides in the series" section...
>> Very good point and idea

Re: Deployment Phase documentation

kkhan
Done