Documentation - Naming conventions

Pete Muir
I've seen various ways of referring to the project which we are documenting. Normally "JBoss Application Server" is used in the introduction to a guide, and then shortened. Some guides use "JBoss Application Server 7". There is also some inconsistency with using "the JBoss Application Server". I think we should pick one of these (my vote is "JBoss Application Server" with no preceding definite article, you would still want to use a definite article when referring to "the application server" - the difference being that we are using a description of the project, not the project name).

The shorted version is then sometimes referred to as "JBoss AS", sometimes as "AS", sometimes as "AS7", sometimes as "AS 7". My pick would be "JBoss AS".

I think it's fairly important we use a single convention so that people get a consistent experience with our docs. What do others think? Misty, what do you use for the enterprise docs - that could be a good convention to adopt (swapping EAP -> AS).

Re: Documentation - Naming conventions

Heiko Braun

+1

- JBoss Application Server
- JBoss AS

Ike

On Jul 4, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Pete Muir wrote:

> I've seen various ways of referring to the project which we are documenting. Normally "JBoss Application Server" is used in the introduction to a guide, and then shortened. Some guides use "JBoss Application Server 7". There is also some inconsistency with using "the JBoss Application Server". I think we should pick one of these (my vote is "JBoss Application Server" with no preceding definite article, you would still want to use a definite article when referring to "the application server" - the difference being that we are using a description of the project, not the project name).
>
> The shorted version is then sometimes referred to as "JBoss AS", sometimes as "AS", sometimes as "AS7", sometimes as "AS 7". My pick would be "JBoss AS".
>
> I think it's fairly important we use a single convention so that people get a consistent experience with our docs. What do others think? Misty, what do you use for the enterprise docs - that could be a good convention to adopt (swapping EAP -> AS).

Re: Documentation - Naming conventions

Misty Stanley-Jones
For the Enterprise docs, we do not shorten the name. We use "Enterprise Application Platform" in all cases. I have seen a directive to use "JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, provided by Red Hat" at the first instance, and shorten that to "JBoss Enterprise Application Platform." However, that has not caught on. Specifically, we do not ever shorten it to EAP, even though it would probably make our lives easier if we could.

--

Misty Stanley-Jones, RHCE
Content Author, ECS Brisbane

Using path element to customize domain logs

paulwerder
Hi all devs,
I'm trying to figure out how to use the <path> element to define a
different log for every server.
This is what I've attempted to do: in the domain.xml file I've set the
file handler path to "customlog"

<periodic-rotating-file-handler name="FILE" autoflush="true">

    <file  path="customlog"/>
. . . . . .
</periodic-rotating-file-handler>

Then, inside each <server> definition, I'm adding the <path> definition,
which points to the file system path:

<server name="server-one" group="main-server-group" auto-start="true">
      <paths>
          <path name="customlog" path="/var/log" />
     </paths>
</server>

Unfortunately, as it is, the AS does not even accept my configuration.

[Host Controller] 10:45:07,345 ERROR [stderr] (Controller Boot Thread)
Exception in thread "Controller Boot Thread" java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.jboss.as.controller.persistence.ConfigurationPersistenceException:
Failed to parse configuration

Any help to get me on the right track ? thanks a lot
Paul

http://www.fastmail.fm - Access all of your messages and folders
                          wherever you are

Re: Using path element to customize domain logs

Emanuel Muckenhuber
this is a bug. I created: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1187

Thanks,
Emanuel

On 07/05/2011 11:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all devs,
> I'm trying to figure out how to use the<path>  element to define a
> different log for every server.
> This is what I've attempted to do: in the domain.xml file I've set the
> file handler path to "customlog"
>
> <periodic-rotating-file-handler name="FILE" autoflush="true">
>
>      <file  path="customlog"/>
> . . . . . .
> </periodic-rotating-file-handler>
>
> Then, inside each<server>  definition, I'm adding the<path>  definition,
> which points to the file system path:
>
> <server name="server-one" group="main-server-group" auto-start="true">
>        <paths>
>            <path name="customlog" path="/var/log" />
>       </paths>
> </server>
>
> Unfortunately, as it is, the AS does not even accept my configuration.
>
> [Host Controller] 10:45:07,345 ERROR [stderr] (Controller Boot Thread)
> Exception in thread "Controller Boot Thread" java.lang.RuntimeException:
> org.jboss.as.controller.persistence.ConfigurationPersistenceException:
> Failed to parse configuration
>
> Any help to get me on the right track ? thanks a lot
> Paul

Re: Documentation - Naming conventions

Dan Allen
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 17:59, Misty Stanley-Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the Enterprise docs, we do not shorten the name. We use "Enterprise Application Platform" in all cases. I have seen a directive to use "JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, provided by Red Hat" at the first instance, and shorten that to "JBoss Enterprise Application Platform." However, that has not caught on. Specifically, we do not ever shorten it to EAP, even though it would probably make our lives easier if we could.

I'd argue that it's important to include the acronym, not just for convenience but for clarity. The reason is, we toss around the acronym like an old glove on the website and in interviews, blog entries, and other media channels. If we never put the two together in the documentation, then it's really odd and confusing when it comes up.

Why not do it like all other acronyms are introduced.

JBoss Application Server (AS)

and

JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP)

-Dan

--
Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597

Re: Documentation - Naming conventions

Misty Stanley-Jones

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 17:59, Misty Stanley-Jones < [hidden email] >
> wrote:
>

> For the Enterprise docs, we do not shorten the name. We use
> "Enterprise Application Platform" in all cases. I have seen a
> directive to use "JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, provided by
> Red Hat" at the first instance, and shorten that to "JBoss Enterprise
> Application Platform." However, that has not caught on. Specifically,
> we do not ever shorten it to EAP, even though it would probably make
> our lives easier if we could.
>

> I'd argue that it's important to include the acronym, not just for
> convenience but for clarity. The reason is, we toss around the acronym
> like an old glove on the website and in interviews, blog entries, and
> other media channels. If we never put the two together in the
> documentation, then it's really odd and confusing when it comes up.
>

> Why not do it like all other acronyms are introduced.
>

> JBoss Application Server (AS)
>

> and
>

> JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP)

This was a decision made by people outside of docs. It has to do with branding and trademarking, I believe.

--

Misty Stanley-Jones, RHCE
Content Author, ECS Brisbane
☺: misty (Freenode IRC) ✉: [hidden email] ☏: +61 7 3514 8105 ☏: 88105

Re: Documentation - Naming conventions

Pete Muir
I spoke to Jason, and we should refer to it as:

JBoss Application Server 7 or JBoss AS 7

On 4 Jul 2011, at 12:26, Pete Muir wrote:

> I've seen various ways of referring to the project which we are documenting. Normally "JBoss Application Server" is used in the introduction to a guide, and then shortened. Some guides use "JBoss Application Server 7". There is also some inconsistency with using "the JBoss Application Server". I think we should pick one of these (my vote is "JBoss Application Server" with no preceding definite article, you would still want to use a definite article when referring to "the application server" - the difference being that we are using a description of the project, not the project name).
>
> The shorted version is then sometimes referred to as "JBoss AS", sometimes as "AS", sometimes as "AS7", sometimes as "AS 7". My pick would be "JBoss AS".
>
> I think it's fairly important we use a single convention so that people get a consistent experience with our docs. What do others think? Misty, what do you use for the enterprise docs - that could be a good convention to adopt (swapping EAP -> AS).

Re: Documentation - Naming conventions

kkhan
I'll replace all occurrances in the admin guide