Dropping legacy feature packs

Brian Stansberry
Since the WildFly 13 release when we began producing the official WildFly distributions using Galleon, we've continued as well to produce the old 'legacy feature packs' that use pre-Galleon technology. We did this because there were some projects that still used them for provisioning servers based on the WildFly technology stack. But I believe those cases are gone now, and in any case after three years IMHO it's time for those kinds of things to move on.

Producing the legacy feature packs is a fair amount of work and is starting to interfere with how we'd best organize the code for production of the Galleon feature packs. So I'd like for WildFly 24 to be the last release where we produce them.

Inputs on this are welcome.

The maven GAs of the artifacts I'm talking about are:

org.wildfly.core:wildfly-core-feature-pack
org.wildfly:wildfly-servlet-feature-pack
org.wildfly:wildfly-feature-pack

The source code for the FPs are mostly at the following locations, although there is related code (e.g. "subsystem-template" dirs) scattered throughout the code base.

Best regards,
Brian

Re: Dropping legacy feature packs

Jean-Frederic Mesnil

> On 8 Jun 2021, at 22:43, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since the WildFly 13 release when we began producing the official WildFly distributions using Galleon, we've continued as well to produce the old 'legacy feature packs' that use pre-Galleon technology. We did this because there were some projects that still used them for provisioning servers based on the WildFly technology stack. But I believe those cases are gone now, and in any case after three years IMHO it's time for those kinds of things to move on.
>
> Producing the legacy feature packs is a fair amount of work and is starting to interfere with how we'd best organize the code for production of the Galleon feature packs. So I'd like for WildFly 24 to be the last release where we produce them.
>
> Inputs on this are welcome.
>
> The maven GAs of the artifacts I'm talking about are:
>
> org.wildfly.core:wildfly-core-feature-pack
> org.wildfly:wildfly-servlet-feature-pack
> org.wildfly:wildfly-feature-pack

I'm +1 to remove it.

We have been capitalising on Galleon to build WildFly for a few releases now.
Producing (and maintaining) another way to deliver WildFly is preventing us to move forward.

Regards,
jeff

--
Jeff Mesnil
Principal Software Engineer

Re: Dropping legacy feature packs

Darran Lofthouse
Also +1 to removal.

One motivation was to compare the Galleon releases were the same as the legacy releases - we are now at the point that Galleon needs to be able to progress independently.  If we still want to double check changes checking against the prior WildFly release would be more suitable.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 3:03 AM Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also +1 to removal.

One motivation was to compare the Galleon releases were the same as the legacy releases - we are now at the point that Galleon needs to be able to progress independently.

Yes, for sure. It's been a long time now where what Galleon produces is the 'correct' thing, and what devs think about when they do development, and then we end up checking what the legacy packs produce to find things we missed in the legacy code.

If we still want to double check changes checking against the prior WildFly release would be more suitable.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 8:38 AM Jean-Frederic Mesnil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8 Jun 2021, at 22:43, Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since the WildFly 13 release when we began producing the official WildFly distributions using Galleon, we've continued as well to produce the old 'legacy feature packs' that use pre-Galleon technology. We did this because there were some projects that still used them for provisioning servers based on the WildFly technology stack. But I believe those cases are gone now, and in any case after three years IMHO it's time for those kinds of things to move on.
>
> Producing the legacy feature packs is a fair amount of work and is starting to interfere with how we'd best organize the code for production of the Galleon feature packs. So I'd like for WildFly 24 to be the last release where we produce them.
>
> Inputs on this are welcome.
>
> The maven GAs of the artifacts I'm talking about are:
>
> org.wildfly.core:wildfly-core-feature-pack
> org.wildfly:wildfly-servlet-feature-pack
> org.wildfly:wildfly-feature-pack

I'm +1 to remove it.

We have been capitalising on Galleon to build WildFly for a few releases now.
Producing (and maintaining) another way to deliver WildFly is preventing us to move forward.

Regards,
jeff

--
Jeff Mesnil