Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

Jim Tyrrell
Team,

See the attached screen shot:

I have an exploded war file (spring/hibernate) that I made changes to based on Marius (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!) feedback.  The application deploys, but does not run when executed with the following  errors:
10:08:12,829 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/BRMSPoc].[brmsDispatcher]] (http--127.0.0.1-8080-1) Servlet.service() for servlet brmsDispatcher threw exception: java.lang.IllegalAccessException: Class org.mvel2.optimizers.impl.refl.ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer can not access a member of class org.jboss.stdio.StdioContext$DelegatingPrintStream with modifiers "public"
at sun.reflect.Reflection.ensureMemberAccess(Reflection.java:65) [:1.6.0_24]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:588) [:1.6.0_24]
at org.mvel2.optimizers.impl.refl.ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.getMethod(ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.java:957) [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
at org.mvel2.optimizers.impl.refl.ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.compileGetChain(ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.java:314) [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
at org.mvel2.optimizers.impl.refl.ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.optimizeAccessor(ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.java:137) [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
at org.mvel2.ast.ASTNode.getReducedValueAccelerated(ASTNode.java:137) [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
at org.mvel2.MVELRuntime.execute(MVELRuntime.java:85) [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
at org.mvel2.compiler.CompiledExpression.getValue(CompiledExpression.java:104) [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
at org.mvel2.MVEL.executeExpression(MVEL.java:1001) [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
at org.drools.base.mvel.MVELConsequence.evaluate(MVELConsequence.java:103) [drools-core-5.1.1.jar:]
at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireActivation(DefaultAgenda.java:917) [drools-core-5.1.1.jar:]
at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireNextItem(DefaultAgenda.java:856) [drools-core-5.1.1.jar:]
at org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireAllRules(DefaultAgenda.java:1071) [drools-core-5.1.1.jar:]

Is the .failed from the screen shot on all the exploded jars in the war from when I had not made all of Marius changes?
Is it expected behavior on an exploded war?
How would I clean these up?  Do I need to?
What effect/affect are these having on my current deployment?  Now that I mostly think I have my application in a state where I can run/deploy my application?

Does it make sense to mark all of these "embedded/included" jar files as failed?

I am not sure if this is expected behavior, bugs or what?  Some advice pretty please?

I guess you have to love lazy loading, and runtime exceptions. :S!!!!!

Jim Tyrrell
Senior JBoss Solutions Architect

Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

Jaikiran Pai
That most certainly appears to be a bug. There shouldn't be any
deployment markers generated _within_ a deployment. The screenshot shows
the markers being created in .war/WEB-INF/lib which is wrong. Perhaps
it's considering those jars as individual "deployments"? What's the
exact name of your deployment file? What does "ls -R yourapp.war" show?

-Jaikiran
On Friday 08 July 2011 10:14 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> [...]
> Is it expected behavior on an exploded war?
> How would I clean these up?  Do I need to?
> What effect/affect are these having on my current deployment?  Now
> that I mostly think I have my application in a state where I can
> run/deploy my application?
>
> Does it make sense to mark all of these "embedded/included" jar files
> as failed?
>
> I am not sure if this is expected behavior, bugs or what?  Some advice
> pretty please?
>

> I guess you have to love lazy loading, and runtime exceptions. :S!!!!!
>
> Jim Tyrrell
> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>
> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

Please mail those to me off-list then.

I'm interested in looking at the contents of the war to see what's
causing the deployers to think that the jars within the .war/WEB-INF/lib
are "deployments".

-Jaikiran
On Friday 08 July 2011 10:32 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> [...]
>>> Is it expected behavior on an exploded war?
>>> How would I clean these up?  Do I need to?
>>> What effect/affect are these having on my current deployment?  Now
>>> that I mostly think I have my application in a state where I can
>>> run/deploy my application?
>>>
>>> Does it make sense to mark all of these "embedded/included" jar files
>>> as failed?
>>>
>>> I am not sure if this is expected behavior, bugs or what?  Some advice
>>> pretty please?
>>>

>>> I guess you have to love lazy loading, and runtime exceptions. :S!!!!!
>>>
>>> Jim Tyrrell
>>> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>>>
>>> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
>>> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
>>>
>>> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

What's the name of the directory whose contents are shown in that
screenshot?

On 7/8/11 11:44 AM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> [...]
> Is it expected behavior on an exploded war?
> How would I clean these up? Do I need to?
> What effect/affect are these having on my current deployment? Now that I
> mostly think I have my application in a state where I can run/deploy my
> application?
>
> Does it make sense to mark all of these "embedded/included" jar files as
> failed?
>
> I am not sure if this is expected behavior, bugs or what? Some advice
> pretty please?
>

> I guess you have to love lazy loading, and runtime exceptions. :S!!!!!
>
> Jim Tyrrell
> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>
> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

Brian Stansberry
Sorry, I didn't ask clearly.  What's the name of the root directory of
the exploded deployment?  something.war?

On 7/8/11 1:05 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> [...]
>>> What effect/affect are these having on my current deployment? Now that I
>>> mostly think I have my application in a state where I can run/deploy my
>>> application?
>>>
>>> Does it make sense to mark all of these "embedded/included" jar files as
>>> failed?
>>>
>>> I am not sure if this is expected behavior, bugs or what? Some advice
>>> pretty please?
>>>

>>> I guess you have to love lazy loading, and runtime exceptions. :S!!!!!
>>>
>>> Jim Tyrrell
>>> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>>>
>>> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
>>> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
>>> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>

>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

WEB-INF lib

I have the steps to reproduce:
WIth my war file

copy to the standalone/deployments directory.

then run unzip of the war file in that directory, wait for it to try to scan those files that were just unzipped and then you get the files marked as failed...

[...]

yeap....
and you have another email with the case that reproduces this...

On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

[...]

Brain et al,

So I guess the question is:

Should it scan for and try to deploy a lib directory in the deployments directory?

let me know if you need me to jira this, or what you want me to do?

Thank yous!!! to Brian, Marius, and Jaikiran for looking at this.

On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:13 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

[...]

No, the scanner should not step into and try to deploy content in child
directories of a directory whose name ends in .ear, .jar, .rar, .sar,
.war or any capitalization variant of those.  If it does, it is a bug.

On 7/8/11 1:18 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> Brain et al,
>
> So I guess the question is:
>
> Should it scan for and try to deploy a lib directory in the deployments
> directory?
>
> let me know if you need me to jira this, or what you want me to do?
>
> Thank yous!!! to Brian, Marius, and Jaikiran for looking at this.
>
> Jim Tyrrell
> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>
> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>
>

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:13 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:
>
>> yeap....
>> and you have another email with the case that reproduces this...
>>
>> Jim Tyrrell
>> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>>
>> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
>> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
>> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>
>>

>> On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I didn't ask clearly. What's the name of the root directory of
>>> the exploded deployment? something.war?

>>> Brian Stansberry
>>> Principal Software Engineer
>>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

Jim Tyrrell
Brian,

Want me to file a jira?

On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

[...]

Sure, thanks.

On 7/8/11 2:36 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Want me to file a jira?
>
> Jim Tyrrell
> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>
> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>
>

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> No, the scanner should not step into and try to deploy content in child
>> directories of a directory whose name ends in .ear, .jar, .rar, .sar,
>> .war or any capitalization variant of those. If it does, it is a bug.
>>
>> On 7/8/11 1:18 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:
>>> Brain et al,
>>>
>>> So I guess the question is:
>>>
>>> Should it scan for and try to deploy a lib directory in the deployments
>>> directory?
>>>
>>> let me know if you need me to jira this, or what you want me to do?
>>>
>>> Thank yous!!! to Brian, Marius, and Jaikiran for looking at this.
>>>
>>> Jim Tyrrell
>>> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>>>
>>> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
>>> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
>>> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>

>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

Jim Tyrrell
Brian,

Created:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1236

On Jul 8, 2011, at 1:57 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Unzipping such that WEB-INF is a direct child of the
deployments/ dir is what causes this issue; it needs to be in a
directory named Sample.war.

The scanner can do a bit better in detecting and dealing with this
situation though; see my comment on the JIRA.

On 7/8/11 3:23 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Created:
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1236
>
> Jim Tyrrell
> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>
> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>
>

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 1:57 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> Sure, thanks.
>>
>> On 7/8/11 2:36 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:
>>> Brian,
>>>
>>> Want me to file a jira?
>>>
>>> Jim Tyrrell
>>> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>>>
>>> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
>>> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
>>> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>

>> Brian Stansberry
>> Principal Software Engineer
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

It's also a great example of when someone asks "Sorry, I didn't ask
clearly. What's the name of the root directory of the exploded
deployment? something.war?"

and also says

"No, the scanner should not step into and try to deploy content in child
directories of a directory whose name ends in .ear, .jar, .rar, .sar,
.war or any capitalization variant of those. If it does, it is a bug.
"

that the answer to the question be correct.

> Thanks. Unzipping such that WEB-INF is a direct child of the
> deployments/ dir is what causes this issue; it needs to be in a
> directory named Sample.war.
>
> The scanner can do a bit better in detecting and dealing with this
> situation though; see my comment on the JIRA.
>
> On 7/8/11 3:23 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:
>> Brian,
>>
>> Created:
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1236
>>
>> Jim Tyrrell
>> Senior JBoss Solutions Architect
>>
>> Did you see RHT on Fox News around Cloud?
>> http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1039347607001/red-hat-ceo-on-the-growth-of-cloud-computing/
>> <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39401056>
>>

>> On Jul 8, 2011, at 1:57 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>
>>> Sure, thanks.

>>> Brian Stansberry
>>> Principal Software Engineer
>>> JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Exploded Oddity with that Spring/Hibernate Example

On Friday 08 July 2011 10:14 PM, Jim Tyrrell wrote:

> Team,
>

> I have an exploded war file (spring/hibernate) that I made changes to
> based on Marius (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!) feedback.  The application
> deploys, but does not run when executed with the following  errors:
> 10:08:12,829 ERROR
> [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/BRMSPoc].[brmsDispatcher]]
> (http--127.0.0.1-8080-1) Servlet.service() for servlet brmsDispatcher
> threw exception: java.lang.IllegalAccessException: Class
> org.mvel2.optimizers.impl.refl.ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer can not
> access a member of class
> org.jboss.stdio.StdioContext$DelegatingPrintStream with modifiers "public"
> at sun.reflect.Reflection.ensureMemberAccess(Reflection.java:65)
> [:1.6.0_24]
> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:588) [:1.6.0_24]
> at
> org.mvel2.optimizers.impl.refl.ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.getMethod(ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.java:957)
> [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
> at
> org.mvel2.optimizers.impl.refl.ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.compileGetChain(ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.java:314)
> [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
> at
> org.mvel2.optimizers.impl.refl.ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.optimizeAccessor(ReflectiveAccessorOptimizer.java:137)
> [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
> at org.mvel2.ast.ASTNode.getReducedValueAccelerated(ASTNode.java:137)
> [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
> at org.mvel2.MVELRuntime.execute(MVELRuntime.java:85) [mvel2-2.0.16.jar:]
We discussed this over IRC and this appears to be a bug in mvel2. The
application uses 2.0.16 of mvel2 (as shown in those logs). This bug
might have been fixed in 2.0.18 version. Could you please try that or a
higher version to see if it fixes this problem? Let us know how it goes.