Farming service in AS 7

Francesco Marchioni
Dear devs,
will there be any farming service in AS 7 ? I've been testing a standalone cluster but I couldn't get the deployment propagated on other cluster members ( just copied the deployment unit on all cluster members). Haven't tested with a domain though.
Thanks a lot in advance
Francesco

Re: Farming service in AS 7

Brian Stansberry
No, there won't be a replacement for farming for clustered standalone
servers. The distributed deployment option AS 7 provides is via running
a managed domain.

On 8/8/11 8:28 AM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:

> Dear devs,
> will there be any farming service in AS 7 ? I've been testing a
> standalone cluster but I couldn't get the deployment propagated on other
> cluster members ( just copied the deployment unit on all cluster
> members). Haven't tested with a domain though.
> Thanks a lot in advance
> Francesco

Re: Farming service in AS 7

Francesco Marchioni
Hi Brian,
thanks for your reply. Maybe one could "emulate" farming by running multiple standalone server on the same AS distribution

http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2011-August/003502.html

Each server would use its own data dir, but the deployments dir is shared between server instances.....
regards
F.M.
2011/8/17 Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]>
No, there won't be a replacement for farming for clustered standalone
servers. The distributed deployment option AS 7 provides is via running
a managed domain.

On 8/8/11 8:28 AM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
> Dear devs,
> will there be any farming service in AS 7 ? I've been testing a
> standalone cluster but I couldn't get the deployment propagated on other
> cluster members ( just copied the deployment unit on all cluster
> members). Haven't tested with a domain though.
> Thanks a lot in advance
> Francesco

Re: Farming service in AS 7

Brian Stansberry
I think the marker files would mess that up; i.e. the scanner for one
server would put down a marker file and the presence of that file would
negatively impact the behavior of the scanner on another server.

On 8/17/11 3:27 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> thanks for your reply. Maybe one could "emulate" farming by running
> multiple standalone server on the same AS distribution
>
> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2011-August/003502.html
>
> Each server would use its own data dir, but the deployments dir is
> shared between server instances.....
> regards
> F.M.
> 2011/8/17 Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     No, there won't be a replacement for farming for clustered standalone
>     servers. The distributed deployment option AS 7 provides is via running
>     a managed domain.
>
>     On 8/8/11 8:28 AM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
>      > Dear devs,
>      > will there be any farming service in AS 7 ? I've been testing a
>      > standalone cluster but I couldn't get the deployment propagated
>     on other
>      > cluster members ( just copied the deployment unit on all cluster
>      > members). Haven't tested with a domain though.
>      > Thanks a lot in advance
>      > Francesco
>      >
>      >
>      > jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>      > https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
>

>     --
>     Brian Stansberry
>     Principal Software Engineer
>     JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Farming service in AS 7

Paul Ferraro
Just to say, this does actually work (e.g. this is actually how I
deployed my sample app to multiple local standalone servers in the AS7
clustering webinar) - though as Brian points out, the fact that 2
different scanners are acting on the same marker files can make this
unreliable.

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 16:07 -0500, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> I think the marker files would mess that up; i.e. the scanner for one
> server would put down a marker file and the presence of that file would
> negatively impact the behavior of the scanner on another server.
>
> On 8/17/11 3:27 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
> > Hi Brian,
> > thanks for your reply. Maybe one could "emulate" farming by running
> > multiple standalone server on the same AS distribution
> >
> > http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2011-August/003502.html
> >
> > Each server would use its own data dir, but the deployments dir is
> > shared between server instances.....
> > regards
> > F.M.
> > 2011/8/17 Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> >
> >     No, there won't be a replacement for farming for clustered standalone
> >     servers. The distributed deployment option AS 7 provides is via running
> >     a managed domain.
> >
> >     On 8/8/11 8:28 AM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
> >      > Dear devs,
> >      > will there be any farming service in AS 7 ? I've been testing a
> >      > standalone cluster but I couldn't get the deployment propagated
> >     on other
> >      > cluster members ( just copied the deployment unit on all cluster
> >      > members). Haven't tested with a domain though.
> >      > Thanks a lot in advance
> >      > Francesco
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > _______________________________________________
> >      > jboss-as7-dev mailing list
> >      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >      > https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
> >

> >     --
> >     Brian Stansberry
> >     Principal Software Engineer
> >     JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Farming service in AS 7

Even if you don't use domain mode, it is pretty easy to write a script
that deployes to a bunch of servers.

For example:

cat > foo
connect host1
deploy blah.jar
connect host2
deploy blah.jar
Ctrl-D

jboss-asdmin.sh file=foo

Also you can use a maven plugin, a custom java app, or even a perl
script using HTTP/JSON:

http://vimeo.com/26363489

On 8/18/11 9:53 AM, Paul Ferraro wrote:

> Just to say, this does actually work (e.g. this is actually how I
> deployed my sample app to multiple local standalone servers in the AS7
> clustering webinar) - though as Brian points out, the fact that 2
> different scanners are acting on the same marker files can make this
> unreliable.
>
> On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 16:07 -0500, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> I think the marker files would mess that up; i.e. the scanner for one
>> server would put down a marker file and the presence of that file would
>> negatively impact the behavior of the scanner on another server.
>>
>> On 8/17/11 3:27 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
>>> Hi Brian,
>>> thanks for your reply. Maybe one could "emulate" farming by running
>>> multiple standalone server on the same AS distribution
>>>
>>> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2011-August/003502.html
>>>
>>> Each server would use its own data dir, but the deployments dir is
>>> shared between server instances.....
>>> regards
>>> F.M.
>>> 2011/8/17 Brian Stansberry<[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>
>>>      No, there won't be a replacement for farming for clustered standalone
>>>      servers. The distributed deployment option AS 7 provides is via running
>>>      a managed domain.
>>>
>>>      On 8/8/11 8:28 AM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
>>>       >  Dear devs,
>>>       >  will there be any farming service in AS 7 ? I've been testing a
>>>       >  standalone cluster but I couldn't get the deployment propagated
>>>      on other
>>>       >  cluster members ( just copied the deployment unit on all cluster
>>>       >  members). Haven't tested with a domain though.
>>>       >  Thanks a lot in advance
>>>       >  Francesco
>>>       >
>>>       >
>>>       >  _______________________________________________
>>>       >  jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>>       >  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>       >  https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
>>>

>>>      --
>>>      Brian Stansberry
>>>      Principal Software Engineer
>>>      JBoss by Red Hat

JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect

Re: Farming service in AS 7

Francesco Marchioni
I understand the point- not enough reliable for the production; however it can be a cool option for a quick demo of the clustering capabilities like @Paul pointed out. Will keep one copy on my USB drive ;-)
regards
FM

2011/8/18 Paul Ferraro <[hidden email]>
Just to say, this does actually work (e.g. this is actually how I
deployed my sample app to multiple local standalone servers in the AS7
clustering webinar) - though as Brian points out, the fact that 2
different scanners are acting on the same marker files can make this
unreliable.

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 16:07 -0500, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> I think the marker files would mess that up; i.e. the scanner for one
> server would put down a marker file and the presence of that file would
> negatively impact the behavior of the scanner on another server.
>
> On 8/17/11 3:27 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
> > Hi Brian,
> > thanks for your reply. Maybe one could "emulate" farming by running
> > multiple standalone server on the same AS distribution
> >
> > http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-as7-dev/2011-August/003502.html
> >
> > Each server would use its own data dir, but the deployments dir is
> > shared between server instances.....
> > regards
> > F.M.
> > 2011/8/17 Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> >
> >     No, there won't be a replacement for farming for clustered standalone
> >     servers. The distributed deployment option AS 7 provides is via running
> >     a managed domain.
> >
> >     On 8/8/11 8:28 AM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
> >      > Dear devs,
> >      > will there be any farming service in AS 7 ? I've been testing a
> >      > standalone cluster but I couldn't get the deployment propagated
> >     on other
> >      > cluster members ( just copied the deployment unit on all cluster
> >      > members). Haven't tested with a domain though.
> >      > Thanks a lot in advance
> >      > Francesco
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > _______________________________________________
> >      > jboss-as7-dev mailing list
> >      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >      > https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
> >

> >     --
> >     Brian Stansberry
> >     Principal Software Engineer
> >     JBoss by Red Hat

Re: Farming service in AS 7

Darran Lofthouse
"demo" - probably the one time you want to avoid a file system based
deployment race condition ;-)

On 08/18/2011 09:42 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:

> [...]
>      > > 2011/8/17 Brian Stansberry <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > > <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>      > >
>      > >     No, there won't be a replacement for farming for clustered
>     standalone
>      > >     servers. The distributed deployment option AS 7 provides is
>     via running
>      > >     a managed domain.
>      > >
>      > >     On 8/8/11 8:28 AM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
>      > > > Dear devs,
>      > > > will there be any farming service in AS 7 ? I've been testing a
>      > > > standalone cluster but I couldn't get the deployment propagated
>      > >     on other
>      > > > cluster members ( just copied the deployment unit on all cluster
>      > > > members). Haven't tested with a domain though.

Re: Farming service in AS 7

Brian Stansberry
LOL. Good point!