Feature deployment

Thomas Diesler
Hi Brian,

If I remember correctly we cannot have nested management operations. A deployment being a management op can therefore not trigger another deployment op, right?
The general use case is that during deployment of A I want to deploy B which is required by A. Even more general - a user invoked mgmnt op should be able to trigger a deployment op.

Is there any way to work around that?

If not, the only alternative I can see is to have some service that executes the ops in sequence. That service needs to be invoked from client code (i.e. not from a DUP nor from a mgmnt op)

cheers
--thomas
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Diesler
JBoss OSGi Lead
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: Feature deployment

Brian Stansberry
A management op can trigger other ops via the OperationContext.addStep
API. What isn't supported is:

1) Once operation execution proceeds past Stage.MODEL (where
configuration changes occur), an operation handler can't register a step
for a Stage.MODEL. The same applies for any stage; you can't register a
step for a preceding stage.

2) Services installed/removed by a management op executing operations in
their start/stop methods. This is the one that has led to issues for you
in the past.

Unfortunately, with all the stuff we need to do in the next 4-5 months,
this isn't going to be changed for AS 8.

On 4/17/13 5:07 AM, Thomas Diesler wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> this is related to Provisioner service and Feature deployment
> <https://community.jboss.org/wiki/ProvisionerServiceAndFeatureDeployment>
>
> If I remember correctly we cannot have nested management operations. A
> deployment being a management op can therefore not trigger another
> deployment op, right?
> The general use case is that during deployment of A I want to deploy B
> which is required by A. Even more general - a user invoked mgmnt op
> should be able to trigger a deployment op.
>
> Is there any way to work around that?
>
> If not, the only alternative I can see is to have some service that
> executes the ops in sequence. That service needs to be invoked from
> client code (i.e. not from a DUP nor from a mgmnt op)
>
> cheers
> --thomas
>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thomas Diesler
> JBoss OSGi Lead
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: Feature deployment

Thomas Diesler
Merci - that confirms what I though, we can put it on the AS9 roadmap

--thomas