Getting started application development guide - a suggestion

Getting started application development guide - a suggestion

Vimal Kansal
Hi Pete,

Based on my consulting experience, I have found that there are still
many places where development environments are non maven based i.e
Eclipse minus minus m2eclipse etc. Do you think it will be worthwhile,
having instructions in the guide for building/deploying these
applications using WTP tools + JBoss Tools?

Thx

Vimal

Re: Getting started application development guide - a suggestion

Max Rydahl Andersen-2
What would you like it to say ? :)

Manually download all these jars from mvn repo and
Add it to the class path ?

Note, I'm planning to add a feature to JBoss tools that materialized a class path container so you don't have to
Use mvn after the initial import. But mvn is the best tool
Out there which allow us to have both command line
And IDE work without N explanations and duplicate projects.

/max (sent from my phone)

On 20/07/2011, at 07.41, Vimal Kansal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> Based on my consulting experience, I have found that there are still
> many places where development environments are non maven based i.e
> Eclipse minus minus m2eclipse etc. Do you think it will be worthwhile,
> having instructions in the guide for building/deploying these
> applications using WTP tools + JBoss Tools?
>
> Thx
>
> Vimal

Re: Getting started application development guide - a suggestion

Vimal Kansal
I wonder if you have seen Glassfish JEE tutorial : it uses Nebeans and
uses Netbeans project structure etc.

On 20/07/2011, at 11.44, Vimal Kansal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wonder if you have seen Glassfish JEE tutorial : it uses Nebeans and uses Netbeans project structure etc.

Yes? Is that a good thing ? Ties them to netbeans.

/max

> On 20/07/2011 5:22 PM, Max Andersen wrote:
>> What would you like it to say ? :)
>>
>> Manually download all these jars from mvn repo and
>> Add it to the class path ?
>>
>> Note, I'm planning to add a feature to JBoss tools that materialized a class path container so you don't have to
>> Use mvn after the initial import. But mvn is the best tool
>> Out there which allow us to have both command line
>> And IDE work without N explanations and duplicate projects.
>>
>> /max (sent from my phone)
>>

>> On 20/07/2011, at 07.41, Vimal Kansal<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pete,
>>>
>>> Based on my consulting experience, I have found that there are still
>>> many places where development environments are non maven based i.e
>>> Eclipse minus minus m2eclipse etc. Do you think it will be worthwhile,
>>> having instructions in the guide for building/deploying these
>>> applications using WTP tools + JBoss Tools?
>>>
>>> Thx
>>>
>>> Vimal

Re: Getting started application development guide - a suggestion

Max Rydahl Andersen

> I wonder if you have seen Glassfish JEE tutorial : it uses Nebeans and uses Netbeans project structure etc.

Yes, and these examples are tied to Netbeans - is that  a good thing ?

I guess it is if you want to promote netbeans ;)

I haven't tried for the specific quickstarts yet, but they should work equally well in netbeans and
intellij assuming they import maven projects properly. I find that to be a much more useful.

But even if we were to recreate these as "pure eclipse projects" as long as there isn't a good way to get the list of jars from AS7 distro which will be used for a project
nor have a bunch of people that can replicate all examples in WTP, Ant, Maven etc. I don't really see
how we can do this without it being alot of effort with small gains.

I guess we could simply import the project into jboss tools/m2eclipse and save the generated .project/.classpath/.settings
folder .....but still someone would have to maintain that + create a zip with all the relevant jars in it for every AS7/EAP6 update.

Suggestions very welcome if i'm missing something obvious ?

/max

> On 20/07/2011 5:22 PM, Max Andersen wrote:
>> What would you like it to say ? :)
>>
>> Manually download all these jars from mvn repo and
>> Add it to the class path ?
>>
>> Note, I'm planning to add a feature to JBoss tools that materialized a class path container so you don't have to
>> Use mvn after the initial import. But mvn is the best tool
>> Out there which allow us to have both command line
>> And IDE work without N explanations and duplicate projects.
>>
>> /max (sent from my phone)
>>

>> On 20/07/2011, at 07.41, Vimal Kansal<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pete,
>>>
>>> Based on my consulting experience, I have found that there are still
>>> many places where development environments are non maven based i.e
>>> Eclipse minus minus m2eclipse etc. Do you think it will be worthwhile,
>>> having instructions in the guide for building/deploying these
>>> applications using WTP tools + JBoss Tools?
>>>
>>> Thx
>>>
>>> Vimal

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Getting started application development guide - a suggestion

Vimal Kansal
Its not about promoting netbeans/eclipse/maven - its about somebody to
be quickly able to get up to speed with JEE6 way of developing apps. Any
tool that gets the user there first is what gets most acceptance -
netbeans/eclipse/maven or whatever. Since I have come across various
environments where maven is still not the main tool that is why I raised
this issue,

On 20/07/2011 8:48 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I wonder if you have seen Glassfish JEE tutorial : it uses Nebeans and uses Netbeans project structure etc.
> Yes, and these examples are tied to Netbeans - is that  a good thing ?
>
> I guess it is if you want to promote netbeans ;)
>
> I haven't tried for the specific quickstarts yet, but they should work equally well in netbeans and
> intellij assuming they import maven projects properly. I find that to be a much more useful.
>
> But even if we were to recreate these as "pure eclipse projects" as long as there isn't a good way to get the list of jars from AS7 distro which will be used for a project
> nor have a bunch of people that can replicate all examples in WTP, Ant, Maven etc. I don't really see
> how we can do this without it being alot of effort with small gains.
>
> I guess we could simply import the project into jboss tools/m2eclipse and save the generated .project/.classpath/.settings
> folder .....but still someone would have to maintain that + create a zip with all the relevant jars in it for every AS7/EAP6 update.
>
> Suggestions very welcome if i'm missing something obvious ?
>
> /max
>
>> On 20/07/2011 5:22 PM, Max Andersen wrote:
>>> What would you like it to say ? :)
>>>
>>> Manually download all these jars from mvn repo and
>>> Add it to the class path ?
>>>
>>> Note, I'm planning to add a feature to JBoss tools that materialized a class path container so you don't have to
>>> Use mvn after the initial import. But mvn is the best tool
>>> Out there which allow us to have both command line
>>> And IDE work without N explanations and duplicate projects.
>>>
>>> /max (sent from my phone)

> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Getting started application development guide - a suggestion

Max Rydahl Andersen

> Its not about promoting netbeans/eclipse/maven - its about somebody to be quickly able to get up to speed with JEE6 way of developing apps. Any tool that gets the user there first is what gets most acceptance - netbeans/eclipse/maven or whatever. Since I have come across various environments where maven is still not the main tool that is why I raised this issue,

Yes, I know - thats why we made it easy to install jboss tools, import the quick starts - you don't even have to use maven normally.

I want to make the quick starts directly available without downloading the AS7 quickstart zip.

Until then File > New > Web Project, select CDI and you are off using JEE6.

That is the simplest approach right now.

Not sure what else we can do before that ?

/max

> On 20/07/2011 8:48 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I wonder if you have seen Glassfish JEE tutorial : it uses Nebeans and uses Netbeans project structure etc.
>> Yes, and these examples are tied to Netbeans - is that  a good thing ?
>>
>> I guess it is if you want to promote netbeans ;)
>>
>> I haven't tried for the specific quickstarts yet, but they should work equally well in netbeans and
>> intellij assuming they import maven projects properly. I find that to be a much more useful.
>>
>> But even if we were to recreate these as "pure eclipse projects" as long as there isn't a good way to get the list of jars from AS7 distro which will be used for a project
>> nor have a bunch of people that can replicate all examples in WTP, Ant, Maven etc. I don't really see
>> how we can do this without it being alot of effort with small gains.
>>
>> I guess we could simply import the project into jboss tools/m2eclipse and save the generated .project/.classpath/.settings
>> folder .....but still someone would have to maintain that + create a zip with all the relevant jars in it for every AS7/EAP6 update.
>>
>> Suggestions very welcome if i'm missing something obvious ?
>>
>> /max

>> /max
>> http://about.me/maxandersen

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Getting started application development guide - a suggestion

Vimal Kansal

Until then File>  New>  Web Project, select CDI and you are off using JEE6.

That is the simplest approach right now.

Not sure what else we can do before that ?

<<<

Yup this is precisely what I was trying to say i.e should we also
include instructions on developing quickstarts this way i.e  File > New
 > Web Project, select CDI :-)

Cheers!

Vimal