HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

Harald Pehl
The development of HAL.next [1] has reached a point where we can replace the
existing console with HAL.next. We'd like to make this transition for
WildFly 13.

HAL.next ships with everything which is available in the current console.
In addition there are plenty new and enhanced features. I'm currently
preparing a website which will include basic user documentation and a list
of new and enhanced features.

Although we believe the new console is stable enough, we could add an
additional endpoint in WildFly 13 for the old console. This would enable
users to switch back and forth between the new and old console.

What do you think?

.: Harald

[1] https://github.com/hal/hal.next

Re: HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

Tomaž Cerar-2

Although we believe the new console is stable enough, we could add an

additional endpoint in WildFly 13 for the old console. This would enable

users to switch back and forth between the new and old console.

How much extra fat would that bring to the server distribution?

--

tomaz

On 3. Mar 2018, at 00:21, Tomaž Cerar <[hidden email]> wrote:

How much extra fat would that bring to the server distribution?

The current console is about 10 MB, HAL.next is something around 7 MB.
So if we replace the console we would save 3 MB, if we keep both that
would add 7 MB.

// Harald

Re: HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

Claudio Miranda
Hi, just to let you know, HAL 3.0 is already merged in wildfly master
branch, so you may run it and give some feedback.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM, Harald Pehl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The development of HAL.next [1] has reached a point where we can replace the
> existing console with HAL.next. We'd like to make this transition for
> WildFly 13.
>
> HAL.next ships with everything which is available in the current console.
> In addition there are plenty new and enhanced features. I'm currently
> preparing a website which will include basic user documentation and a list
> of new and enhanced features.
>
> Although we believe the new console is stable enough, we could add an
> additional endpoint in WildFly 13 for the old console. This would enable
> users to switch back and forth between the new and old console.
>
> What do you think?
>
> .: Harald
>
> [1] https://github.com/hal/hal.next

--
  Claudio Miranda

[hidden email]
http://www.claudius.com.br

Re: HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

Heiko Braun
Congrats to Harald and Claudio!

Heiko

On 19. April 2018 at 15:17:02, Claudio Miranda ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi, just to let you know, HAL 3.0 is already merged in wildfly master
branch, so you may run it and give some feedback.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM, Harald Pehl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The development of HAL.next [1] has reached a point where we can replace the
> existing console with HAL.next. We'd like to make this transition for
> WildFly 13.
>
> HAL.next ships with everything which is available in the current console.
> In addition there are plenty new and enhanced features. I'm currently
> preparing a website which will include basic user documentation and a list
> of new and enhanced features.
>
> Although we believe the new console is stable enough, we could add an
> additional endpoint in WildFly 13 for the old console. This would enable
> users to switch back and forth between the new and old console.
>
> What do you think?
>
> .: Harald
>
> [1] https://github.com/hal/hal.next

--
Claudio Miranda

[hidden email]
http://www.claudius.com.br

Re: HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

My first impression is - it seems faster than the old console.  It
loaded more or less instantly in my (local) browser.  So far so good!

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 8:12 AM, Claudio Miranda
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, just to let you know, HAL 3.0 is already merged in wildfly master
> branch, so you may run it and give some feedback.
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM, Harald Pehl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The development of HAL.next [1] has reached a point where we can replace the
>> existing console with HAL.next. We'd like to make this transition for
>> WildFly 13.
>>
>> HAL.next ships with everything which is available in the current console.
>> In addition there are plenty new and enhanced features. I'm currently
>> preparing a website which will include basic user documentation and a list
>> of new and enhanced features.
>>
>> Although we believe the new console is stable enough, we could add an
>> additional endpoint in WildFly 13 for the old console. This would enable
>> users to switch back and forth between the new and old console.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> .: Harald
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/hal/hal.next
>

> --
>   Claudio Miranda
>
> [hidden email]
> http://www.claudius.com.br

Re: HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

Harald Pehl
Glad you like it. We've setup a website for the new console, which summarises what's new and contains some background info. [1]

// Harald

[1] https://hal.github.io/

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Congrats, guys!

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, just to let you know, HAL 3.0 is already merged in wildfly master
> branch, so you may run it and give some feedback.
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM, Harald Pehl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The development of HAL.next [1] has reached a point where we can replace the
>> existing console with HAL.next. We'd like to make this transition for
>> WildFly 13.
>>
>> HAL.next ships with everything which is available in the current console.
>> In addition there are plenty new and enhanced features. I'm currently
>> preparing a website which will include basic user documentation and a list
>> of new and enhanced features.
>>
>> Although we believe the new console is stable enough, we could add an
>> additional endpoint in WildFly 13 for the old console. This would enable
>> users to switch back and forth between the new and old console.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> .: Harald
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/hal/hal.next
>

> --
>   Claudio Miranda
>
> [hidden email]
> http://www.claudius.com.br

Red Hat

Re: HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

Andrig Miller
Have a little typo on the main page of the web site:

HAL ist the project name for the WildFly and JBoss EAP management console.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrig (Andy) T. Miller
Global Platform Director, Middleware
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

I love the new console, congratulations!

Should the new application deployment view (Content + Management Model), order be reversed or will users look at Content more often than Management Model?  The first item should probably be whatever is looked at more often, hard to know what that is but personally I prefer to see the Management model first and Content second. :)

I tried to edit the JPA enabled (equivalent of issuing :write-attribute(name=enabled,value=true)) flag for a deployment persistence unit but wasn't quite sure what to do after choosing the 'edit' option.  I tried entering 'true' in the edit control but didn't know what to do to accept the change.  I figured out to press the little Oo control but that gives me an invalid expression error, pressing help on that, shows: "The expression as ${key} or ${key:default} Required field."

Scott

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 9:12 AM, Claudio Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, just to let you know, HAL 3.0 is already merged in wildfly master
branch, so you may run it and give some feedback.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM, Harald Pehl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The development of HAL.next [1] has reached a point where we can replace the
> existing console with HAL.next. We'd like to make this transition for
> WildFly 13.
>
> HAL.next ships with everything which is available in the current console.
> In addition there are plenty new and enhanced features. I'm currently
> preparing a website which will include basic user documentation and a list
> of new and enhanced features.
>
> Although we believe the new console is stable enough, we could add an
> additional endpoint in WildFly 13 for the old console. This would enable
> users to switch back and forth between the new and old console.
>
> What do you think?
>
> .: Harald
>
> [1] https://github.com/hal/hal.next

--
  Claudio Miranda

[hidden email]
http://www.claudius.com.br

Re: HAL.next / replace console in WildFly 13

Harald Pehl
Thanks Scott for the feedback.

I've filed [1] to track your issue.

// Harald