Hibernate 5.3+ module name suggestions...

Hibernate 5.3+ module name suggestions...

Scott Marlow
Any suggestions for what we should call the new Hibernate ORM 5.3 module?  We can probably drop the slot and just include the version in the module name.

Some ideas:

name="org.hibernate5.3"
name="org.hibernate5_3"
name="org.hibernate5-3"

Any suggestions?

Scott

Re: Hibernate 5.3+ module name suggestions...

I would either keep the slot:

    <module name="org.hibernate" slot="5.3" xmlns="urn:jboss:module:1.5">

Or use a module 1.7+ descriptor and do it this way:

    <module name="org.hibernate:5.3" xmlns="urn:jboss:module:1.7">

(still in the org/hibernate/5.3/module.xml path in this case).

If you don't like using slots, then I'd suggest:

   <module name="org.hibernate.5_3" xmlns="whatever">

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 3:36 PM, James Perkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a need to create a new module?

Yes, WildFly needs to keep including the current Hibernate ORM  5.1 jar for application compatibility but we also need to include the newer Hibernate ORM 5.3+ jar for EE 8/JPA 2.2 use.  So, we really need a new ORM module, since we will keep both Hibernate versions in WildFly for a while (ORM 5.3 may get swapped out with a newer version later, TBD).

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 5:47 PM, James Perkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
With other Java EE 8 tech previews we handle it by loading the correct resource based on a system property. Is this not possible with Hibernate for some reason? For example have a look at the javax.validation.api module [1].

If we are running in EE 8 mode, the JPA container, should use/expose the JPA 2.2 SPEC jars, however, either Hibernate ORM 5.1 or 5.3 could be used.  Also, in EE 8 mode, applications should use Hibernate ORM 5.3 by default but could also Hibernate ORM 5.1.  In EE 7 mode, only the Hibernate ORM 5.1 jars should be available to applications.  I think this should work.  I have an alternative in mind, if this doesn't work but it has in the past (e.g. JPA 2.1 container implementation could work with JPA 1.0-2.0 persistence providers).

Since not all applications will want to use Hibernate ORM 5.3 by default (in EE 8 tech preview), I think we should have a system property way to change the default JPA persistence provider module name (to be handled by the JPA container).

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 3:42 PM, David Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would either keep the slot:

    <module name="org.hibernate" slot="5.3" xmlns="urn:jboss:module:1.5">

Or use a module 1.7+ descriptor and do it this way:

    <module name="org.hibernate:5.3" xmlns="urn:jboss:module:1.7">

(still in the org/hibernate/5.3/module.xml path in this case).

If you don't like using slots, then I'd suggest:

Slots are great, think I will upgrade to the module 1.7+ descriptor and include the slot in the name, as you suggest above.

Thanks!
Scott

   <module name="org.hibernate.5_3" xmlns="whatever">

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any suggestions for what we should call the new Hibernate ORM 5.3 module?
> We can probably drop the slot and just include the version in the module
> name.
>
> Some ideas:
>
> name="org.hibernate5.3"
> name="org.hibernate5_3"
> name="org.hibernate5-3"
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Scott

Re: Hibernate 5.3+ module name suggestions...

Sanne Grinovero
Hi all, Scott,

the Hibernate ORM and Hibernate Search projects are now producing and releasing feature packs, so please use them rather than re-creating a different set of modules.

We also produced feature packs of several of our dependencies, for example Apache Lucene feature packs have their own repository and versioning: more flexible and consistent with the Lucene version.

We also have chosen different names; e.g. the Hibernate ORM one is called "org.hibernate.orm" and has a slot "5.3".

Technically that's an alias, the real module has a slot with the full version.

We also included a deprecated module using the older name which imports and exports the new one, to ease transition.

The feature packs for Hibernate Search have been released already, the ones for Hibernate ORM are merged in master but have not been released yet.

Of course we can still make changes to any of them, I'll try the new module descriptors if you prefer them?

Scott: you remember we discussed including a JipiJapa adaptor within the ORM codebase so that a matching version would be released together? This would be a good time, so we include it, want to help me with that?

Thanks,
Sanne

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all, Scott,

the Hibernate ORM and Hibernate Search projects are now producing and releasing feature packs, so please use them rather than re-creating a different set of modules.

We also produced feature packs of several of our dependencies, for example Apache Lucene feature packs have their own repository and versioning: more flexible and consistent with the Lucene version.

We also have chosen different names; e.g. the Hibernate ORM one is called "org.hibernate.orm" and has a slot "5.3".

Name sounds fine.

Technically that's an alias, the real module has a slot with the full version.

We also included a deprecated module using the older name which imports and exports the new one, to ease transition.

What is the deprecated module name/slot?

The feature packs for Hibernate Search have been released already, the ones for Hibernate ORM are merged in master but have not been released yet.

Of course we can still make changes to any of them, I'll try the new module descriptors if you prefer them?

Scott: you remember we discussed including a JipiJapa adaptor within the ORM codebase so that a matching version would be released together? This would be a good time, so we include it, want to help me with that?

Excellent, yes I want to help with that.

Thanks,
Sanne

On 22 Feb 2018 02:06, "Scott Marlow" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 3:42 PM, David Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would either keep the slot:

    <module name="org.hibernate" slot="5.3" xmlns="urn:jboss:module:1.5">

Or use a module 1.7+ descriptor and do it this way:

    <module name="org.hibernate:5.3" xmlns="urn:jboss:module:1.7">

(still in the org/hibernate/5.3/module.xml path in this case).

If you don't like using slots, then I'd suggest:

Slots are great, think I will upgrade to the module 1.7+ descriptor and include the slot in the name, as you suggest above.

Thanks!
Scott

   <module name="org.hibernate.5_3" xmlns="whatever">

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any suggestions for what we should call the new Hibernate ORM 5.3 module?
> We can probably drop the slot and just include the version in the module
> name.
>
> Some ideas:
>
> name="org.hibernate5.3"
> name="org.hibernate5_3"
> name="org.hibernate5-3"
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Scott

Re: Hibernate 5.3+ module name suggestions...

Steve Ebersole
On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 7:44 AM Scott Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

Scott: you remember we discussed including a JipiJapa adaptor within the ORM codebase so that a matching version would be released together? This would be a good time, so we include it, want to help me with that?

Excellent, yes I want to help with that.

This would let us completely replace container-managed JPA support?  If so, that would be amazing

On 02/22/2018 09:47 AM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 7:44 AM Scott Marlow <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Sanne Grinovero
>

>         Scott: you remember we discussed including a JipiJapa adaptor
>         within the ORM codebase so that a matching version would be
>         released together? This would be a good time, so we include it,
>         want to help me with that?
>

>     Excellent, yes I want to help with that.
>

> This would let us completely replace container-managed JPA support?  If
> so, that would be amazing

I think that Sanne was only talking about the Hibernate ORM 5.3
persistence provider modules and the JipiJapa module that integrates
WildFly with ORM 5.3.

Which other parts of container managed JPA support do you want to be
able to replace?

Re: Hibernate 5.3+ module name suggestions...

Steve Ebersole
Just that.  The pieces that allow us to plug in any version of Hibernate and any version of JPA (like 2.2 here recently) into WildFly for testing, without having to wait for WildFly to support everything else to have a release that includes the little bit we need