JAF (javax.activation) dependency removal

JAF (javax.activation) dependency removal

Tomaz Cerar
Hi,

I am writing this as there has been some discussion on internal mailing
list and David has pointed out that it should be discussed publicly.

JAF is part of JDK since version 6, so question is if we should remove
javax.activation dependency and javax.activation module from AS?
There are still some other dependencies(mail,javax.bind,xml
registry,...) that still use activation as its dependency.
I have verified that AS work correctly if javax.activation module is
removed and some other configuration changes applied so question is if
we want to this or not?

As David pointed out on my pull request
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/1527#issuecomment-3973535 this
ties us more to JDK and prevents us from doing any local modification to
activation.jar.

WDYT?

--
tomaz

Re: JAF (javax.activation) dependency removal

Fernando Nasser
On 12-02-15 10:58 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing this as there has been some discussion on internal mailing
> list and David has pointed out that it should be discussed publicly.
>
> JAF is part of JDK since version 6, so question is if we should remove
> javax.activation dependency and javax.activation module from AS?
> There are still some other dependencies(mail,javax.bind,xml
> registry,...) that still use activation as its dependency.
> I have verified that AS work correctly if javax.activation module is
> removed and some other configuration changes applied so question is if
> we want to this or not?
>
> As David pointed out on my pull request
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/1527#issuecomment-3973535 this
> ties us more to JDK and prevents us from doing any local modification to
> activation.jar.

A question:  for our modified activation to take over, it would need to
be in endorsed dir, right?

On 15.2.2012 17:10, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> On 12-02-15 10:58 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing this as there has been some discussion on internal mailing
>> list and David has pointed out that it should be discussed publicly.
>>
>> JAF is part of JDK since version 6, so question is if we should remove
>> javax.activation dependency and javax.activation module from AS?
>> There are still some other dependencies(mail,javax.bind,xml
>> registry,...) that still use activation as its dependency.
>> I have verified that AS work correctly if javax.activation module is
>> removed and some other configuration changes applied so question is if
>> we want to this or not?
>>
>> As David pointed out on my pull request
>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/1527#issuecomment-3973535 this
>> ties us more to JDK and prevents us from doing any local modification to
>> activation.jar.
> A question:  for our modified activation to take over, it would need to
> be in endorsed dir, right?
not necessary as jboss modules determinate what classes are loaded an
what not. In this case path javax/activation is not part of javax.api
module, so to make use of jdk's activation you have to modify javax.api
module or if you don't do that it won't find it on class path unless you
also depend to javax.activation module.

On 02/15/2012 10:10 AM, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> On 12-02-15 10:58 AM, Tomaz Cerar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing this as there has been some discussion on internal mailing
>> list and David has pointed out that it should be discussed publicly.
>>
>> JAF is part of JDK since version 6, so question is if we should remove
>> javax.activation dependency and javax.activation module from AS?
>> There are still some other dependencies(mail,javax.bind,xml
>> registry,...) that still use activation as its dependency.
>> I have verified that AS work correctly if javax.activation module is
>> removed and some other configuration changes applied so question is if
>> we want to this or not?
>>
>> As David pointed out on my pull request
>> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/pull/1527#issuecomment-3973535 this
>> ties us more to JDK and prevents us from doing any local modification to
>> activation.jar.
>
> A question:  for our modified activation to take over, it would need to
> be in endorsed dir, right?

In AS 7+, we only need endorsed if we wanted to replace java.* classes,
not javax.* classes.  Case in point - we replace the JDK's
javax.transaction, a large number of javax.xml packages, the JDK's CORBA
APIs, javax.annotation, etc.