JAX-RS test fails if AS not running; Do we want it that way?

JAX-RS test fails if AS not running; Do we want it that way?

Ondrej Zizka
Hi Sande,

is this intentional?
IMO quickstarts should be foolproof, and one of ways to make it so should be that  `mvn clean install` should pass without requirements like "AS is running on port 8080".

WDYT?

Running org.jboss.as.quickstarts.jaxrsclient.JaxRsClientTest

Re: JAX-RS test fails if AS not running; Do we want it that way?

Sande Gilda
Hi Ondrej,

The jax-rs-client quickstart is an Arquillian test only and expands on the helloworld-rs quickstart.

The Prerequisites section of the README state that this quickstart depends on the deployment of the helloworld-rs quickstart for its tests and explains how to verify that it deployed successfully.

The Run the Arquillian Tests section of the README states:
  1. Make sure you have started the JBoss Server as described above.
  2. Make sure the helloworld-rs quickstart has been deployed on the server as noted in the Prerequisites section above.
  3. Open a command line and navigate to the root directory of this quickstart.
  4. Type the following command to run the test goal with the following profile activated:

    mvn clean test

Do I need to modify the instructions somehow to make that more clear? Should I add a note that if you get an HTTP status: 404, it probably means you did not deploy the helloworld-rs quickstart as noted in the Prerequisites?

I'm not a Maven expert, so I'm not sure how we could make this foolproof for the users. I am copying Pete and Blaine since they know a lot more about this than me.

Thanks,
Sande

On 07/28/2012 12:00 PM, Ondrej Zizka wrote:
Hi Sande,

is this intentional?
IMO quickstarts should be foolproof, and one of ways to make it so should be that  `mvn clean install` should pass without requirements like "AS is running on port 8080".

WDYT?

Running org.jboss.as.quickstarts.jaxrsclient.JaxRsClientTest

Re: JAX-RS test fails if AS not running; Do we want it that way?

Pete Muir
I haven't come up with a better way to do it than this. If you have a good idea, then we should do it :-)

On 29 Jul 2012, at 15:48, Sande Gilda wrote:

> Hi Ondrej,
>
> The jax-rs-client quickstart is an Arquillian test only and expands on the helloworld-rs quickstart.
>
> The Prerequisites section of the README state that this quickstart depends on the deployment of the helloworld-rs quickstart for its tests and explains how to verify that it deployed successfully.
>
> The Run the Arquillian Tests section of the README states:
> • Make sure you have started the JBoss Server as described above.
> • Make sure the helloworld-rs quickstart has been deployed on the server as noted in the Prerequisites section above.
> • Open a command line and navigate to the root directory of this quickstart.
> • Type the following command to run the test goal with the following profile activated:
>
> mvn clean test
>
> Do I need to modify the instructions somehow to make that more clear? Should I add a note that if you get an HTTP status: 404, it probably means you did not deploy the helloworld-rs quickstart as noted in the Prerequisites?
>
> I'm not a Maven expert, so I'm not sure how we could make this foolproof for the users. I am copying Pete and Blaine since they know a lot more about this than me.
>
> Thanks,
> Sande
>
> On 07/28/2012 12:00 PM, Ondrej Zizka wrote:
>> Hi Sande,
>>
>> is this intentional?
>> IMO quickstarts should be foolproof, and one of ways to make it so should be that  `mvn clean install` should pass without requirements like "AS is running on port 8080".
>>
>> WDYT?
>>

>> Running org.jboss.as.quickstarts.jaxrsclient.JaxRsClientTest
>> MediaType: application/xml
>> java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed request with HTTP status: 404

Re: JAX-RS test fails if AS not running; Do we want it that way?

Sande Gilda
One way to look at it, the quickstarts do teach you how to start the
server in multiple ways and with different configurations. :-)

On 07/30/2012 07:04 AM, Pete Muir wrote:

> I haven't come up with a better way to do it than this. If you have a good idea, then we should do it :-)
>
> On 29 Jul 2012, at 15:48, Sande Gilda wrote:
>
>> Hi Ondrej,
>>
>> The jax-rs-client quickstart is an Arquillian test only and expands on the helloworld-rs quickstart.
>>
>> The Prerequisites section of the README state that this quickstart depends on the deployment of the helloworld-rs quickstart for its tests and explains how to verify that it deployed successfully.
>>
>> The Run the Arquillian Tests section of the README states:
>> • Make sure you have started the JBoss Server as described above.
>> • Make sure the helloworld-rs quickstart has been deployed on the server as noted in the Prerequisites section above.
>> • Open a command line and navigate to the root directory of this quickstart.
>> • Type the following command to run the test goal with the following profile activated:
>>
>> mvn clean test
>>
>> Do I need to modify the instructions somehow to make that more clear? Should I add a note that if you get an HTTP status: 404, it probably means you did not deploy the helloworld-rs quickstart as noted in the Prerequisites?
>>
>> I'm not a Maven expert, so I'm not sure how we could make this foolproof for the users. I am copying Pete and Blaine since they know a lot more about this than me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sande
>>
>> On 07/28/2012 12:00 PM, Ondrej Zizka wrote:
>>> Hi Sande,
>>>
>>> is this intentional?
>>> IMO quickstarts should be foolproof, and one of ways to make it so should be that  `mvn clean install` should pass without requirements like "AS is running on port 8080".
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>

>>> Running org.jboss.as.quickstarts.jaxrsclient.JaxRsClientTest

Re: JAX-RS test fails if AS not running; Do we want it that way?

Jim Tyrrell
Can/could the Arquillian project help with this?

Jim Tyrrell
Principal JBoss Solutions Architect

On Jul 30, 2012, at 5:36 AM, Sande Gilda wrote:

> One way to look at it, the quickstarts do teach you how to start the
> server in multiple ways and with different configurations. :-)
>
> On 07/30/2012 07:04 AM, Pete Muir wrote:
>> I haven't come up with a better way to do it than this. If you have a good idea, then we should do it :-)
>>
>> On 29 Jul 2012, at 15:48, Sande Gilda wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ondrej,
>>>
>>> The jax-rs-client quickstart is an Arquillian test only and expands on the helloworld-rs quickstart.
>>>
>>> The Prerequisites section of the README state that this quickstart depends on the deployment of the helloworld-rs quickstart for its tests and explains how to verify that it deployed successfully.
>>>
>>> The Run the Arquillian Tests section of the README states:
>>> • Make sure you have started the JBoss Server as described above.
>>> • Make sure the helloworld-rs quickstart has been deployed on the server as noted in the Prerequisites section above.
>>> • Open a command line and navigate to the root directory of this quickstart.
>>> • Type the following command to run the test goal with the following profile activated:
>>>
>>> mvn clean test
>>>
>>> Do I need to modify the instructions somehow to make that more clear? Should I add a note that if you get an HTTP status: 404, it probably means you did not deploy the helloworld-rs quickstart as noted in the Prerequisites?
>>>
>>> I'm not a Maven expert, so I'm not sure how we could make this foolproof for the users. I am copying Pete and Blaine since they know a lot more about this than me.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sande

Re: JAX-RS test fails if AS not running; Do we want it that way?

Ondrej Zizka

Running it conditionally in a profile triggered by e.g. -DrunTest or such is not an option?
Or maybe, based on -Das.dir=..., the module would launch that AS using Arquillian, deploy, test, undeploy, stop.
I haven't checked the test itself but I guess it's possible.

The few people who test the QS will know about the option;
and the rest of the world will not need to take care of running AS and deploying.

WDYT?
Ondra

It's already in a profile, specifying -P-complex-dependencies will exclude it. See the contributor guide for more http://www.jboss.org/jdf/about/contributing/

> Or maybe, based on -Das.dir=..., the module would launch that AS using Arquillian, deploy, test, undeploy, stop.
> I haven't checked the test itself but I guess it's possible.

The issue is that another quickstart in another directory needs to be deployed first. Actually, what would work is using the exec plugin to call out and deploy/undeploy the other quickstart around this ones test phase. This would be quite brittle but would work.

> The few people who test the QS will know about the option;
> and the rest of the world will not need to take care of running AS and deploying.

Right, this is why I went with the profile option.

> WDYT?
> Ondra
>

> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 12:04 +0100, Pete Muir wrote:
>> I haven't come up with a better way to do it than this. If you have a good idea, then we should do it :-)
>>
>> On 29 Jul 2012, at 15:48, Sande Gilda wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Ondrej,
>> >
>> > The jax-rs-client quickstart is an Arquillian test only and expands on the helloworld-rs quickstart.
>> >
>> > The Prerequisites section of the README state that this quickstart depends on the deployment of the helloworld-rs quickstart for its tests and explains how to verify that it deployed successfully.
>> >
>> > The Run the Arquillian Tests section of the README states:
>> > • Make sure you have started the JBoss Server as described above.
>> > • Make sure the helloworld-rs quickstart has been deployed on the server as noted in the Prerequisites section above.
>> > • Open a command line and navigate to the root directory of this quickstart.
>> > • Type the following command to run the test goal with the following profile activated:
>> >
>> > mvn clean test
>> >
>> > Do I need to modify the instructions somehow to make that more clear? Should I add a note that if you get an HTTP status: 404, it probably means you did not deploy the helloworld-rs quickstart as noted in the Prerequisites?
>> >
>> > I'm not a Maven expert, so I'm not sure how we could make this foolproof for the users. I am copying Pete and Blaine since they know a lot more about this than me.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Sande

Re: JAX-RS test fails if AS not running; Do we want it that way?

Sande Gilda
Hi all,

Vladimir was testing the ER4.1 quickstarts and reported that when he
runs 'mvn clean install' in the root directory, it fails on the jax-rs
client quickstart due to its dependency on the deployment of the
helloworld-rs quickstart.

This is the last discussion I can find on this issue. Did this ever get
resolved? Vladimir feels that this should work.

Thanks,
Sande