Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

Jaikiran Pai
This relates to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3454 where Carlo
noticed that in the EJB subsystem (and perhaps in some other subsystem
too) we exceed the numeric range for logging ids listed here
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds. I see a couple of problems
here:

1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
subsystems).

2) There are some unused message ids (left around after some refactoring
of code and no longer relevant). Is it too late to clean this up now? I
mean, obviously using an existing message id for a new log message
instead of what it represented earlier isn't a good idea after a catalog
of message ids has been published. But as of now, we don't have such a
catalog published anywhere. So should I go ahead and cleanup some of
these unused message ids?

3) How do I go about this specific issue? Use a new range for more EJB
messages? So we would end up with some EJB messages in the range
14100-14399 and some others in 19100-19399 (an example). Is that
multiple set of ranges for a subsystem a good thing? What happens the
next time we exhaust this range? The other option I see is that there
are some unused message ids between 14143 and 14300. I can refactor the
existing messages (which are falling outside the allocated range) to use
the unused ids, but then it depends on what we decide about #2 above
(i.e. some of the 143xx ids that were used earlier will no longer we
relevant).

Re: Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

Max Rydahl Andersen
I thought logging was to be done as described on http://community.jboss.org/wiki/HowToLogInJBossProjects

as part of https://issues.jboss.org/browse/TAG-48

or is https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds simply just the number ranges within
the JBAS subsystem ?

Maybe EJB needs its own subsystem id ?

…or is the i18n number system just completely separate from this ?

/max

On Jan 26, 2012, at 08:24, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> This relates to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3454 where Carlo
> noticed that in the EJB subsystem (and perhaps in some other subsystem
> too) we exceed the numeric range for logging ids listed here
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds. I see a couple of problems
> here:
>
> 1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
> for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
> at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
> arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
> IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
> appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
> message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
> subsystems).
>
> 2) There are some unused message ids (left around after some refactoring
> of code and no longer relevant). Is it too late to clean this up now? I
> mean, obviously using an existing message id for a new log message
> instead of what it represented earlier isn't a good idea after a catalog
> of message ids has been published. But as of now, we don't have such a
> catalog published anywhere. So should I go ahead and cleanup some of
> these unused message ids?
>
> 3) How do I go about this specific issue? Use a new range for more EJB
> messages? So we would end up with some EJB messages in the range
> 14100-14399 and some others in 19100-19399 (an example). Is that
> multiple set of ranges for a subsystem a good thing? What happens the
> next time we exhaust this range? The other option I see is that there
> are some unused message ids between 14143 and 14300. I can refactor the
> existing messages (which are falling outside the allocated range) to use
> the unused ids, but then it depends on what we decide about #2 above
> (i.e. some of the 143xx ids that were used earlier will no longer we
> relevant).
>
> -Jaikiran

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

On Thursday 26 January 2012 05:15 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> or is https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds simply just the number ranges within
> the JBAS subsystem ?
Yes, that page lists the JBAS subsystem ranges. So the ids for EJB
subsystem within JBAS are currently allocated to be between (JBAS)
14100-14399.

-Jaikiran

> Maybe EJB needs its own subsystem id ?
>
> …or is the i18n number system just completely separate from this ?
>
> /max
>
> On Jan 26, 2012, at 08:24, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>
>> This relates to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3454 where Carlo
>> noticed that in the EJB subsystem (and perhaps in some other subsystem
>> too) we exceed the numeric range for logging ids listed here
>> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds. I see a couple of problems
>> here:
>>
>> 1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
>> for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
>> at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
>> arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
>> IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
>> appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
>> message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
>> subsystems).
>>
>> 2) There are some unused message ids (left around after some refactoring
>> of code and no longer relevant). Is it too late to clean this up now? I
>> mean, obviously using an existing message id for a new log message
>> instead of what it represented earlier isn't a good idea after a catalog
>> of message ids has been published. But as of now, we don't have such a
>> catalog published anywhere. So should I go ahead and cleanup some of
>> these unused message ids?
>>
>> 3) How do I go about this specific issue? Use a new range for more EJB
>> messages? So we would end up with some EJB messages in the range
>> 14100-14399 and some others in 19100-19399 (an example). Is that
>> multiple set of ranges for a subsystem a good thing? What happens the
>> next time we exhaust this range? The other option I see is that there
>> are some unused message ids between 14143 and 14300. I can refactor the
>> existing messages (which are falling outside the allocated range) to use
>> the unused ids, but then it depends on what we decide about #2 above
>> (i.e. some of the 143xx ids that were used earlier will no longer we
>> relevant).
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>
> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

Max Rydahl Andersen

> On Thursday 26 January 2012 05:15 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> or is https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds simply just the number ranges within
>> the JBAS subsystem ?
> Yes, that page lists the JBAS subsystem ranges. So the ids for EJB subsystem within JBAS are currently allocated to be between (JBAS) 14100-14399.

gotcha so I wasn't all confused ;)

I just thought the "bigger" subsystems of AS would have its own "group" and not just subrange.

/max

> -Jaikiran
>>
>> Maybe EJB needs its own subsystem id ?
>>
>> …or is the i18n number system just completely separate from this ?
>>
>> /max
>>
>> On Jan 26, 2012, at 08:24, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>>
>>> This relates to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3454 where Carlo
>>> noticed that in the EJB subsystem (and perhaps in some other subsystem
>>> too) we exceed the numeric range for logging ids listed here
>>> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds. I see a couple of problems
>>> here:
>>>
>>> 1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
>>> for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
>>> at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
>>> arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
>>> IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
>>> appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
>>> message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
>>> subsystems).
>>>
>>> 2) There are some unused message ids (left around after some refactoring
>>> of code and no longer relevant). Is it too late to clean this up now? I
>>> mean, obviously using an existing message id for a new log message
>>> instead of what it represented earlier isn't a good idea after a catalog
>>> of message ids has been published. But as of now, we don't have such a
>>> catalog published anywhere. So should I go ahead and cleanup some of
>>> these unused message ids?
>>>
>>> 3) How do I go about this specific issue? Use a new range for more EJB
>>> messages? So we would end up with some EJB messages in the range
>>> 14100-14399 and some others in 19100-19399 (an example). Is that
>>> multiple set of ranges for a subsystem a good thing? What happens the
>>> next time we exhaust this range? The other option I see is that there
>>> are some unused message ids between 14143 and 14300. I can refactor the
>>> existing messages (which are falling outside the allocated range) to use
>>> the unused ids, but then it depends on what we decide about #2 above
>>> (i.e. some of the 143xx ids that were used earlier will no longer we
>>> relevant).
>>>
>>> -Jaikiran
>>
>> /max
>> http://about.me/maxandersen

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

Jason T. Greene
The intention is that a subsystem can have multiple blocks if it runs out.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 26, 2012, at 6:57 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Thursday 26 January 2012 05:15 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>> or is https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds simply just the number ranges within
>>> the JBAS subsystem ?
>> Yes, that page lists the JBAS subsystem ranges. So the ids for EJB subsystem within JBAS are currently allocated to be between (JBAS) 14100-14399.
>
> gotcha so I wasn't all confused ;)
>
> I just thought the "bigger" subsystems of AS would have its own "group" and not just subrange.
>
> /max
>

>> -Jaikiran
>>>
>>> Maybe EJB needs its own subsystem id ?
>>>
>>> …or is the i18n number system just completely separate from this ?
>>>
>>> /max

>>> /max
>>> http://about.me/maxandersen
>>>

> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Re: Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

Andrig Miller

Yes, you should.

> 3) How do I go about this specific issue? Use a new range for more
> EJB
> messages? So we would end up with some EJB messages in the range
> 14100-14399 and some others in 19100-19399 (an example). Is that
> multiple set of ranges for a subsystem a good thing? What happens the
> next time we exhaust this range? The other option I see is that there
> are some unused message ids between 14143 and 14300. I can refactor
> the
> existing messages (which are falling outside the allocated range) to
> use
> the unused ids, but then it depends on what we decide about #2 above
> (i.e. some of the 143xx ids that were used earlier will no longer we
> relevant).

I believe Jason answered this in the affirmative, so if you run out, after refactoring for the gaps, then get another range.

Andy

> -Jaikiran

Re: Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

Ondrej Zizka
On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 12:54 +0530, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
subsystems).
I'd leave it fine-grained, as it will help users find a solution for the specific situation/argument.   my2c

Re: Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

James Perkins
FWIW, I wouldn't worry too much about changing the id's at this point.
We don't, AFAIK, haven them documented anywhere and I know I have
changed some as needed.

That said, we should probably make a stop point when message id's can be
changed. Maybe after 7.1 is released as most subsystems should be
complete by then.

On 01/25/2012 11:24 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> This relates to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3454 where Carlo
> noticed that in the EJB subsystem (and perhaps in some other subsystem
> too) we exceed the numeric range for logging ids listed here
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/LoggingIds. I see a couple of problems
> here:
>
> 1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
> for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
> at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
> arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
> IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
> appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
> message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
> subsystems).
>
> 2) There are some unused message ids (left around after some refactoring
> of code and no longer relevant). Is it too late to clean this up now? I
> mean, obviously using an existing message id for a new log message
> instead of what it represented earlier isn't a good idea after a catalog
> of message ids has been published. But as of now, we don't have such a
> catalog published anywhere. So should I go ahead and cleanup some of
> these unused message ids?
>
> 3) How do I go about this specific issue? Use a new range for more EJB
> messages? So we would end up with some EJB messages in the range
> 14100-14399 and some others in 19100-19399 (an example). Is that
> multiple set of ranges for a subsystem a good thing? What happens the
> next time we exhaust this range? The other option I see is that there
> are some unused message ids between 14143 and 14300. I can refactor the
> existing messages (which are falling outside the allocated range) to use
> the unused ids, but then it depends on what we decide about #2 above
> (i.e. some of the 143xx ids that were used earlier will no longer we
> relevant).
>
> -Jaikiran

James R. Perkins

On 1/26/12 8:26 AM, Ondrej Zizka wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 12:54 +0530, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>
>> 1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
>> for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
>> at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
>> arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
>> IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
>> appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
>> message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
>> subsystems).
> I'd leave it fine-grained, as it will help users find a solution for the
> specific situation/argument. my2c

There are a number of places where we're reusing the same message for
the same situation in different places (e.g. simple defensive coding
null checks.) GSS was actually considering assigning some resources to
convert those to separate messages. I have my doubts about the wisdom of
that, but for sure I don't think we should spend energy now combining
existing messages.

Re: Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

> On 1/26/12 8:26 AM, Ondrej Zizka wrote:
>> On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 12:54 +0530, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>>
>>> 1) The fact that we are already having almost more than 200 message ids
>>> for EJB subsystem alone makes it look like a bit too much IMO. Looking
>>> at many of those messages, they are sometimes related to invalid
>>> arguments being passed to methods and we throwing
>>> IllegalArgumentException with a specific message id. Unfortunately, this
>>> appears to be repeated many times with different ids with a different
>>> message instead of just having a common id/message (perhaps across
>>> subsystems).
>> I'd leave it fine-grained, as it will help users find a solution for the
>> specific situation/argument. my2c
>>

> There are a number of places where we're reusing the same message for
> the same situation in different places (e.g. simple defensive coding
> null checks.) GSS was actually considering assigning some resources to
> convert those to separate messages. I have my doubts about the wisdom of
> that, but for sure I don't think we should spend energy now combining
> existing messages.

I think the wisdom there would be if the resulting error message logged
is ambiguous so you can't identify exactly what was null resulting in
another round trip to gather additional information when we already had
a log that could have potentially contained everything needed.

Re: Logging ids for EJB subsystem (already almost) exhausted!

> On 01/26/2012 07:30 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

>>> I'd leave it fine-grained, as it will help users find a solution for the
>>> specific situation/argument. my2c
>>>

>> There are a number of places where we're reusing the same message for
>> the same situation in different places (e.g. simple defensive coding
>> null checks.) GSS was actually considering assigning some resources to
>> convert those to separate messages. I have my doubts about the wisdom of
>> that, but for sure I don't think we should spend energy now combining
>> existing messages.
>
> I think the wisdom there would be if the resulting error message logged
> is ambiguous so you can't identify exactly what was null resulting in
> another round trip to gather additional information when we already had
> a log that could have potentially contained everything needed.

Agreed; it can certainly be helpful in some cases to have a highly
targeted message. I'll post more on this when the 7.1.0.Final pressure
is off. The topic deserves broad discussion on this list.