M1 of the Camel Subsystem available

Thomas Diesler
Hi Folks,

I'm happy to announce that the initial Camel subsystem is now available

cheers
--thomas

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Diesler
JBoss OSGi Lead
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: M1 of the Camel Subsystem available

Tomaž Cerar-2
Given that this is big addition to app server i don't think it should be present in WildFly codebase.
This subsystem introduces handful of dependencies that would greatly increase our distribution size and potentially cause problems because of bundled Spring.

I think we should split out this new Camel subsystem together with OSGI & friends to its on repository (project maybe?)
and that they should be provided as add-ons/layers to core application server.
This is same thing that many other projects like CapeDwarf, TorqueBox, Gatein, Escalante, Teiid and many more are already doing.

It would also make sense that we would in the end provide two bundles to be downloaded from WildFly website, one with default "core" application server and another with many bundled addons/layers that users could use.

This way I think we should satisfy all needs from both teams.

To be fair, I am not saying this new subsystem not good addition to what we need to provide users, but I just don't think it should be part of core WildFly.

We also discussed in past that we should split many other functionalities in to similar layers/add-ons and really have WildFly core and lets say EE7 layer. but that is subject for some other time.

--
tomaz

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Thomas Diesler <[hidden email]> wrote:
A provisionable subsystem should be able to integrate with the management, deployment layers and perhaps also the web console.

This is already doable and most of project/layers/addons I mentioned earier do just that.

Only thing we are missing is nice way to provision subsystem, currently there is a script that copies few modules/files in few folders
It would be great if we would have some "gui" with listed available layers/extensions/add-ons that you could just select and tool would download them and install them for you.

but I don't think this is doable before WildFly 9 maybe even 10. unless someone wants to take it sooner :-)

so in short, all this is already doable, but you need some customized script to do it instead some nice gui.