MORE_JAVA_OPTS in standalone.sh

Arun Gupta
Can standalone.sh script be extended such that it takes an additional
environment variable that is then added to JAVA_OPTS during startup?

This can be used for passing additional Java options from WildFly
Docker image. Cursory look at the script does not reveal anything like
that exist.

Arun

--
http://blog.arungupta.me
http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: MORE_JAVA_OPTS in standalone.sh

Jaikiran Pai-2
Hi Arun,

The WildFly startup scripts allow you to *override* the JAVA_OPTS by
setting an environment variable of that same name. See the
standalone.conf (for *nix OS) file for details. From what I see, there's
no option to append to the default JAVA_OPTS, by setting an environment
variable. This could be worked around (in a bit brittle manner) by
setting the overriding environment variable value to contain the default
JAVA_OPTS (copied over from standalone.conf) plus the other
custom/specific ones that the caller wants to pass.

-Jaikiran
On Wednesday 18 March 2015 10:27 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:

> Can standalone.sh script be extended such that it takes an additional
> environment variable that is then added to JAVA_OPTS during startup?
>
> This can be used for passing additional Java options from WildFly
> Docker image. Cursory look at the script does not reveal anything like
> that exist.
>
> Arun

Re: MORE_JAVA_OPTS in standalone.sh

Arun Gupta
I'd like to not override the default JAVA_OPTS used by WildFly,
instead add my own value to it. I think that's where MORE_JAVA_OPTS or
EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS could be useful.

Copy/pasting the existing JAVA_OPTS and including my own does not feel right :)

Arun

--
http://blog.arungupta.me
http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: MORE_JAVA_OPTS in standalone.sh

Jaikiran Pai-2
Fair enough. I vaguely recollect that a feature like this, was something
that was either added in JBoss AS 4.2.x days or was proposed at that
time. Looking at the current 8.x scripts, this isn't available, so IMO
filing an enhancement might be a good idea.

-Jaikiran
On Wednesday 18 March 2015 06:12 PM, Arun Gupta wrote:

> I'd like to not override the default JAVA_OPTS used by WildFly,
> instead add my own value to it. I think that's where MORE_JAVA_OPTS or
> EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS could be useful.
>
> Copy/pasting the existing JAVA_OPTS and including my own does not feel right :)
>
> Arun
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Arun,
>>
>> The WildFly startup scripts allow you to *override* the JAVA_OPTS by setting
>> an environment variable of that same name. See the standalone.conf (for *nix
>> OS) file for details. From what I see, there's no option to append to the
>> default JAVA_OPTS, by setting an environment variable. This could be worked
>> around (in a bit brittle manner) by setting the overriding environment
>> variable value to contain the default JAVA_OPTS (copied over from
>> standalone.conf) plus the other custom/specific ones that the caller wants
>> to pass.
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>>
>> On Wednesday 18 March 2015 10:27 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:
>>> Can standalone.sh script be extended such that it takes an additional
>>> environment variable that is then added to JAVA_OPTS during startup?
>>>
>>> This can be used for passing additional Java options from WildFly
>>> Docker image. Cursory look at the script does not reveal anything like
>>> that exist.
>>>
>>> Arun

Re: MORE_JAVA_OPTS in standalone.sh

Fernando Nasser
On 2015-03-18 8:42 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:
> I'd like to not override the default JAVA_OPTS used by WildFly,
> instead add my own value to it. I think that's where MORE_JAVA_OPTS or
> EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS could be useful.
>
> Copy/pasting the existing JAVA_OPTS and including my own does not feel right :)
JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} <your new args>"

On Wednesday 18 March 2015 06:18 PM, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> On 2015-03-18 8:42 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:
>> I'd like to not override the default JAVA_OPTS used by WildFly,
>> instead add my own value to it. I think that's where MORE_JAVA_OPTS or
>> EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS could be useful.
>>
>> Copy/pasting the existing JAVA_OPTS and including my own does not feel right :)
> JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} <your new args>"

 From what I see in WildFly 8.2.0.Final standalone.conf script, that
wouldn't work, since it has this
https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/blob/8.x/build/src/main/resources/bin/standalone.conf#L49
:

#
# Specify options to pass to the Java VM.
#
if [ "x$JAVA_OPTS" = "x" ]; then
    JAVA_OPTS="-Xms64m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"
    JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS
-Djboss.modules.system.pkgs=$JBOSS_MODULES_SYSTEM_PKGS
-Djava.awt.headless=true"
else
    echo "JAVA_OPTS already set in environment; overriding default
settings with values: $JAVA_OPTS"
fi

-Jaikiran

On 2015-03-18 8:48 AM, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> On 2015-03-18 8:42 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:
>> I'd like to not override the default JAVA_OPTS used by WildFly,
>> instead add my own value to it. I think that's where MORE_JAVA_OPTS or
>> EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS could be useful.
>>
>> Copy/pasting the existing JAVA_OPTS and including my own does not feel right :)
> JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} <your new args>"
Ah, I understand now, you don't want to modify your standalone.conf file.

Maybe we could source a custom .conf file so some additional changes
could be made w/o touching the shipped one.

So after

if [ -r "$RUN_CONF" ]; then
     . "$RUN_CONF"
fi

we'd also source some other file CUSTOM_CONF to get any changes.

Fernando

>> Arun
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Arun,
>>>
>>> The WildFly startup scripts allow you to *override* the JAVA_OPTS by setting
>>> an environment variable of that same name. See the standalone.conf (for *nix
>>> OS) file for details. From what I see, there's no option to append to the
>>> default JAVA_OPTS, by setting an environment variable. This could be worked
>>> around (in a bit brittle manner) by setting the overriding environment
>>> variable value to contain the default JAVA_OPTS (copied over from
>>> standalone.conf) plus the other custom/specific ones that the caller wants
>>> to pass.
>>>
>>> -Jaikiran

Re: MORE_JAVA_OPTS in standalone.sh

Fernando Nasser
Maybe the original intention was not to have the configuration done in
the server at all, so a new .conf file will not accomplish that.

If that is the case I'd propose a WILDFLY_EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS to prevent
mixing up with any generic JAVA_OPTS that may be set  (or our nice test
for a stray JAVA_OPTS would be moot).

Fernando

On 2015-03-18 8:55 AM, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> On 2015-03-18 8:48 AM, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>> On 2015-03-18 8:42 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:
>>> I'd like to not override the default JAVA_OPTS used by WildFly,
>>> instead add my own value to it. I think that's where MORE_JAVA_OPTS or
>>> EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS could be useful.
>>>
>>> Copy/pasting the existing JAVA_OPTS and including my own does not feel right :)
>> JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} <your new args>"
> Ah, I understand now, you don't want to modify your standalone.conf file.
>
> Maybe we could source a custom .conf file so some additional changes
> could be made w/o touching the shipped one.
>
> So after
>
> if [ -r "$RUN_CONF" ]; then
>       . "$RUN_CONF"
> fi
>
> we'd also source some other file CUSTOM_CONF to get any changes.
>
> Fernando
>

>>> Arun

Re: MORE_JAVA_OPTS in standalone.sh

One issue with that however is how you would cope with duplicate or
conflicting options within the OPTS, all it could take is one conflict a
script can not resolve and you are back to just defining the whole string.

Done: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-4442

--
http://blog.arungupta.me
http://twitter.com/arungupta

Re: MORE_JAVA_OPTS in standalone.sh

James Perkins
This will definitely be an issue. I can guarantee that some will want to
replace one option that's already defined resulting in a duplicate.
Processing the either option looking for duplicates is not an option.
Every time we introduce something that requires scanning JAVA_OPTS it's
extremely painful and error prone.

In docker wouldn't we just do something like:

RUN echo "JAVA_OPTS=\"$JAVA_OPTS -Dkey.value\"" >>
$JBOSS_HOME/standalone.conf

> One issue with that however is how you would cope with duplicate or
> conflicting options within the OPTS, all it could take is one conflict a
> script can not resolve and you are back to just defining the whole string.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 18/03/15 12:42, Arun Gupta wrote:
>> I'd like to not override the default JAVA_OPTS used by WildFly,
>> instead add my own value to it. I think that's where MORE_JAVA_OPTS or
>> EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS could be useful.
>>
>> Copy/pasting the existing JAVA_OPTS and including my own does not feel right :)
>>
>> Arun
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Arun,
>>>
>>> The WildFly startup scripts allow you to *override* the JAVA_OPTS by setting
>>> an environment variable of that same name. See the standalone.conf (for *nix
>>> OS) file for details. From what I see, there's no option to append to the
>>> default JAVA_OPTS, by setting an environment variable. This could be worked
>>> around (in a bit brittle manner) by setting the overriding environment
>>> variable value to contain the default JAVA_OPTS (copied over from
>>> standalone.conf) plus the other custom/specific ones that the caller wants
>>> to pass.
>>>
>>> -Jaikiran

James R. Perkins

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM, James R. Perkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This will definitely be an issue. I can guarantee that some will want to
> replace one option that's already defined resulting in a duplicate.
> Processing the either option looking for duplicates is not an option.
> Every time we introduce something that requires scanning JAVA_OPTS it's
> extremely painful and error prone.

Valid point.

How do we recommend users to specify JAVA_OPTS in that case? Edit
standalone.conf?

> In docker wouldn't we just do something like:
>
> RUN echo "JAVA_OPTS=\"$JAVA_OPTS -Dkey.value\"" >>
> $JBOSS_HOME/standalone.conf

This worked very well, thanks for the tip!

Arun

On 03/18/2015 09:26 AM, Arun Gupta wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:08 AM, James R. Perkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This will definitely be an issue. I can guarantee that some will want to
>> replace one option that's already defined resulting in a duplicate.
>> Processing the either option looking for duplicates is not an option.
>> Every time we introduce something that requires scanning JAVA_OPTS it's
>> extremely painful and error prone.
> Valid point.
>
> How do we recommend users to specify JAVA_OPTS in that case? Edit
> standalone.conf?
For now yes. I say for now because I have an ultimate goal of removing
most of the logic from the scripts in general :) Whether or not that
will become reality has not yet been decided.

>> In docker wouldn't we just do something like:
>>
>> RUN echo "JAVA_OPTS=\"$JAVA_OPTS -Dkey.value\"" >>
>> $JBOSS_HOME/standalone.conf
> This worked very well, thanks for the tip!
Excellent!

--
James R. Perkins