Making more properties writeable?

Heiko W.Rupp
Hi,

just looked at the configuration side of the API again and most of the attibutes in there are read-only.

So I can not e.g. change the max post size for the http connector (*) via API - other than dropping the http
connector completely and re-creating it, which is nothing people will do (especially when there is no
":clone" operation that fills in the existing properties when not passed explicitly).

People will in this case just start hacking on standalone.xml and other files, which completely
renders the api void. Do we really want that?

   Heiko

*) Just a random selection

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn

Re: Making more properties writeable?

Brian Stansberry
This is something we really need subsystem devs to step up and fix. The
guys working on the core domain infrastructure can fill in a few of
these here and there but we can't deal with all of the subsystems.

On 7/19/11 8:58 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just looked at the configuration side of the API again and most of the attibutes in there are read-only.
>
> So I can not e.g. change the max post size for the http connector (*) via API - other than dropping the http
> connector completely and re-creating it, which is nothing people will do (especially when there is no
> ":clone" operation that fills in the existing properties when not passed explicitly).
>
> People will in this case just start hacking on standalone.xml and other files, which completely
> renders the api void. Do we really want that?
>

>     Heiko
>
> *) Just a random selection

Re: Making more properties writeable?

Scott Stark
We need a good description on how to code the management interfaces,
because I mostly end up copying existing code without a complete
understanding of how this shows up in the management interface.

> This is something we really need subsystem devs to step up and fix. The
> guys working on the core domain infrastructure can fill in a few of
> these here and there but we can't deal with all of the subsystems.
>
> On 7/19/11 8:58 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just looked at the configuration side of the API again and most of the attibutes in there are read-only.
>>
>> So I can not e.g. change the max post size for the http connector (*) via API - other than dropping the http
>> connector completely and re-creating it, which is nothing people will do (especially when there is no
>> ":clone" operation that fills in the existing properties when not passed explicitly).
>>
>> People will in this case just start hacking on standalone.xml and other files, which completely
>> renders the api void. Do we really want that?
>>

>>      Heiko
>>
>> *) Just a random selection

Re: Making more properties writeable?

Brian Stansberry
Kabir's done a lot on this recently:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/Extending+JBoss+AS+7

On 7/20/11 4:42 PM, Scott Stark wrote:

> We need a good description on how to code the management interfaces,
> because I mostly end up copying existing code without a complete
> understanding of how this shows up in the management interface.
>
> On 7/20/11 1:22 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> This is something we really need subsystem devs to step up and fix. The
>> guys working on the core domain infrastructure can fill in a few of
>> these here and there but we can't deal with all of the subsystems.
>>
>> On 7/19/11 8:58 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just looked at the configuration side of the API again and most of the attibutes in there are read-only.
>>>
>>> So I can not e.g. change the max post size for the http connector (*) via API - other than dropping the http
>>> connector completely and re-creating it, which is nothing people will do (especially when there is no
>>> ":clone" operation that fills in the existing properties when not passed explicitly).
>>>
>>> People will in this case just start hacking on standalone.xml and other files, which completely
>>> renders the api void. Do we really want that?
>>>

>>>       Heiko
>>>
>>> *) Just a random selection

Easiest way to bind AS7 on non-localhost ? Re: Making more properties writeable?

Max Rydahl Andersen
> just looked at the configuration side of the API again and most of the attibutes in there are read-only.
>
> So I can not e.g. change the max post size for the http connector (*) via API - other than dropping the http
> connector completely and re-creating it, which is nothing people will do (especially when there is no
> ":clone" operation that fills in the existing properties when not passed explicitly).
>
> People will in this case just start hacking on standalone.xml and other files, which completely
> renders the api void. Do we really want that?

You mean stuff like:

perl -p -i.backup -e 'undef $/; s/(interface name=.public..*)inet-address.*127.0.0.1\"\//\1any-address\//im

? :)

for those not fluent in perl that changes the interface address to use any-address which is the simplest fix I could
find when you want to launch AS7 on an ec2 instance.

Anyone know of a better way ?

How would one actually do this in terms of CLI operations ?

/max

http://about.me/maxandersen

Am 20.07.2011 um 22:22 schrieb Brian Stansberry:

> This is something we really need subsystem devs to step up and fix. The guys working on the core domain infrastructure can fill in a few of these here and there but we can't deal with all of the subsystems.

Of course it's the subsystems - but I think the domain API in total is in jeopardy here when the subsystem integrations
do not provide this or only in a bad/limited manner.
When people start to hack the xml files directly, they will write tools for that like the perl script Max just posted and
will not use the api anymore with all consequences.

    Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München HRB 153243
Geschaeftsführer: Brendan Lane, Charlie Peters, Michael Cunningham, Charles Cachera

Re: Easiest way to bind AS7 on non-localhost ? Re: Making more properties writeable?

Rostislav Svoboda
> > just looked at the configuration side of the API again and most of
> > the attibutes in there are read-only.
> >
> > So I can not e.g. change the max post size for the http connector
> > (*) via API - other than dropping the http
> > connector completely and re-creating it, which is nothing people
> > will do (especially when there is no
> > ":clone" operation that fills in the existing properties when not
> > passed explicitly).
> >
> > People will in this case just start hacking on standalone.xml and
> > other files, which completely
> > renders the api void. Do we really want that?
>
> You mean stuff like:
>
> perl -p -i.backup -e 'undef $/; s/(interface
> name=.public..*)inet-address.*127.0.0.1\"\//\1any-address\//im
>
> ? :)
>
> for those not fluent in perl that changes the interface address to use
> any-address which is the simplest fix I could
> find when you want to launch AS7 on an ec2 instance.
>
> Anyone know of a better way ?
>
> How would one actually do this in terms of CLI operations ?

I did it using:
{code}
/interface=publicIP:add(criteria=[("inet-address" => "10.34.3.154")])
/socket-binding-group=standard-sockets:write-attribute(name="default-interface", value="publicIP")
:reload
{code}

But it's workaround, Brian filled JIRA to make these attributes read-write, see https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1299

Rosta