Quantcast

Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

Peter Palaga
Hi *,

as discussed with some of you on Brno F2F, both wildfly and wildfly-core
are ready for Maven 3.3.1+ now. I am in the process of preparing PRs
that will:

* Enforce Maven version 3.3.1+
* Introduce mvnw (a.k.a.) Maven Wrapper [1] - a script that
   downloads and installs (if necessary) the required Maven version to
    ~/.m2/wrapper and runs it from there.
* Use of mvnw will be optional
* build.sh/bat in wildfly will be removed
* MAVEN_OPTS will live in .mvn/jvm.config and .mvn/maven.config

A PR for core [2] was sent already.

[1] https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper#maven-wrapper
[2] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/pull/2017

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

James Perkins
Hi Peter,
It may not be a big deal because it's just for builds, but instead of deleting the build.(sh|bat) maybe we just make those invoke the appropriate mvnw command instead.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Peter Palaga <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi *,

as discussed with some of you on Brno F2F, both wildfly and wildfly-core
are ready for Maven 3.3.1+ now. I am in the process of preparing PRs
that will:

* Enforce Maven version 3.3.1+
* Introduce mvnw (a.k.a.) Maven Wrapper [1] - a script that
   downloads and installs (if necessary) the required Maven version to
    ~/.m2/wrapper and runs it from there.
* Use of mvnw will be optional
* build.sh/bat in wildfly will be removed
* MAVEN_OPTS will live in .mvn/jvm.config and .mvn/maven.config

A PR for core [2] was sent already.

[1] https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper#maven-wrapper
[2] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/pull/2017

Thanks,

Peter

James R. Perkins

Re: Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

Peter Palaga
Hi James,

On 2016-12-13 22:51, James Perkins wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> It may not be a big deal because it's just for builds, but instead of
> deleting the build.(sh|bat) maybe we just make those invoke the
> appropriate mvnw command instead.

That would be easy to do, but can you name a situation where it would
actually matter?

-- P

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Peter Palaga <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi *,
>
>     as discussed with some of you on Brno F2F, both wildfly and wildfly-core
>     are ready for Maven 3.3.1+ now. I am in the process of preparing PRs
>     that will:
>
>     * Enforce Maven version 3.3.1+
>     * Introduce mvnw (a.k.a.) Maven Wrapper [1] - a script that
>        downloads and installs (if necessary) the required Maven version to
>         ~/.m2/wrapper and runs it from there.
>     * Use of mvnw will be optional
>     * build.sh/bat <http://build.sh/bat> in wildfly will be removed
>     * MAVEN_OPTS will live in .mvn/jvm.config and .mvn/maven.config
>
>     A PR for core [2] was sent already.
>
>     [1] https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper#maven-wrapper
>     <https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper#maven-wrapper>
>     [2] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/pull/2017
>     <https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/pull/2017>
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Peter

> James R. Perkins

Re: Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

Scott Marlow
Hi Peter,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Peter Palaga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> On 2016-12-13 22:51, James Perkins wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>> It may not be a big deal because it's just for builds, but instead of
>> deleting the build.(sh|bat) maybe we just make those invoke the
>> appropriate mvnw command instead.
>
> That would be easy to do, but can you name a situation where it would
> actually matter?

We have a few (compliance) test scripts that invoke build.sh to build
the app server from source.  I'm not sure how widespread use of
build.sh is in other test environments but we probably could ask that
question via a separate topic.

Scott

Re: Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

Petr Kremensky
Hi Peter,

also our automation rely on these (in case this should bubble into EAP codebase as well).

Petr

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Peter Palaga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> On 2016-12-13 22:51, James Perkins wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>> It may not be a big deal because it's just for builds, but instead of
>> deleting the build.(sh|bat) maybe we just make those invoke the
>> appropriate mvnw command instead.
>
> That would be easy to do, but can you name a situation where it would
> actually matter?

We have a few (compliance) test scripts that invoke build.sh to build
the app server from source.  I'm not sure how widespread use of
build.sh is in other test environments but we probably could ask that
question via a separate topic.

Scott

Re: Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

Peter Palaga
Hi Scott, OK, let's keep the build.(sh|bat) scripts for now. I'll change
them (1) to wrap mvnw and (2) to print a warning that they are
deprecated in favor of mvnw. -- P

On 2016-12-14 01:04, Scott Marlow wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Peter Palaga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> On 2016-12-13 22:51, James Perkins wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>> It may not be a big deal because it's just for builds, but instead of
>>> deleting the build.(sh|bat) maybe we just make those invoke the
>>> appropriate mvnw command instead.
>>
>> That would be easy to do, but can you name a situation where it would
>> actually matter?
>
> We have a few (compliance) test scripts that invoke build.sh to build
> the app server from source.  I'm not sure how widespread use of
> build.sh is in other test environments but we probably could ask that
> question via a separate topic.
>
> Scott

Re: Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

Peter Palaga
The PR https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/pull/2017 got merged in
WF Core (thanks Brian!) and I am going to prepare a similar PR for WF. -- P

On 2016-12-14 09:36, Peter Palaga wrote:

> Hi Scott, OK, let's keep the build.(sh|bat) scripts for now. I'll change
> them (1) to wrap mvnw and (2) to print a warning that they are
> deprecated in favor of mvnw. -- P
>
> On 2016-12-14 01:04, Scott Marlow wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Peter Palaga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi James,

>>> That would be easy to do, but can you name a situation where it would
>>> actually matter?
>>
>> We have a few (compliance) test scripts that invoke build.sh to build
>> the app server from source.  I'm not sure how widespread use of
>> build.sh is in other test environments but we probably could ask that
>> question via a separate topic.
>>
>> Scott

Re: Maven 3.3.1+ coming to wildfly and wildfly-core

Peter Palaga
Hi *,

I have just sent the PR to wildfly:
https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/9577

As agreed here on wildfly-dev, the PR adapts the build.* and
integration-tests.* scripts to use mvnw and keeps those old scripts for
backwards compatibility.
The README was changed to recommend plain mvn or mvnw rather than the
old build.* scripts.

Scott, James, Petr and others please review and eventually test in your
scenarios.

Thanks,

Peter