@MessageBundle Classes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

@MessageBundle Classes

Darran Lofthouse
Following a response to a pull request I am just starting to add some
messages to a *Message class.

I see we have a jboss.org article tracking the reserved Ids, I am just
wondering would it make sense to record the reserved ranges in the
source so you only need to go back to the doc if this range starts to be
exceeded?

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.
_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: @MessageBundle Classes

Brian Stansberry
I was going to say yes, but we have the pull request process. So a
developer can't just go an allocate himself a block and then start using
it; he'd need to get a change to this file in the source tree merged and
then start using it.

It would be good if the class javadoc for the XXXLogger and XXXMessages
files would document the expected range for that file (and for the
module overall) though.

On 11/28/11 5:45 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> Following a response to a pull request I am just starting to add some
> messages to a *Message class.
>
> I see we have a jboss.org article tracking the reserved Ids, I am just
> wondering would it make sense to record the reserved ranges in the
> source so you only need to go back to the doc if this range starts to be
> exceeded?
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
> _______________________________________________
> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev


--
Brian Stansberry
Principal Software Engineer
JBoss by Red Hat
_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: @MessageBundle Classes

Darran Lofthouse
On 11/28/2011 05:18 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> I was going to say yes, but we have the pull request process. So a
> developer can't just go an allocate himself a block and then start using
> it; he'd need to get a change to this file in the source tree merged and
> then start using it.
>
> It would be good if the class javadoc for the XXXLogger and XXXMessages
> files would document the expected range for that file (and for the
> module overall) though.

I think that is all I am really asking for - so say like today where I
am adding messages to a file where someone else has already reserved a
block - I shouldn't need to go back to the reservation page until I see
I am going to exceed the reserved block.

>
> On 11/28/11 5:45 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Following a response to a pull request I am just starting to add some
>> messages to a *Message class.
>>
>> I see we have a jboss.org article tracking the reserved Ids, I am just
>> wondering would it make sense to record the reserved ranges in the
>> source so you only need to go back to the doc if this range starts to be
>> exceeded?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>> _______________________________________________
>> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
>
>
_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: @MessageBundle Classes

James Perkins
In reply to this post by Brian Stansberry
That's probably a good idea actually. I do plan on writing something
that will document the id's and the corresponding message if that's of
any use.

FWIW, I do have a script that will generate the id's on the source file
https://github.com/jamezp/logging-tools-scripts/blob/master/MessageIdGenerator.py.
It could probably be improved, but it was my first Python script and it
works.

On 11/28/2011 09:18 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> I was going to say yes, but we have the pull request process. So a
> developer can't just go an allocate himself a block and then start using
> it; he'd need to get a change to this file in the source tree merged and
> then start using it.
>
> It would be good if the class javadoc for the XXXLogger and XXXMessages
> files would document the expected range for that file (and for the
> module overall) though.
>
> On 11/28/11 5:45 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Following a response to a pull request I am just starting to add some
>> messages to a *Message class.
>>
>> I see we have a jboss.org article tracking the reserved Ids, I am just
>> wondering would it make sense to record the reserved ranges in the
>> source so you only need to go back to the doc if this range starts to be
>> exceeded?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>> _______________________________________________
>> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
>

--
James R. Perkins
JBoss by Red Hat

_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: @MessageBundle Classes

Brian Stansberry
In reply to this post by Darran Lofthouse
On 11/28/11 11:24 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> On 11/28/2011 05:18 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> I was going to say yes, but we have the pull request process. So a
>> developer can't just go an allocate himself a block and then start using
>> it; he'd need to get a change to this file in the source tree merged and
>> then start using it.
>>
>> It would be good if the class javadoc for the XXXLogger and XXXMessages
>> files would document the expected range for that file (and for the
>> module overall) though.
>
> I think that is all I am really asking for - so say like today where I
> am adding messages to a file where someone else has already reserved a
> block - I shouldn't need to go back to the reservation page until I see
> I am going to exceed the reserved block.
>

OK, good. Please everyone, if you are editing the XXXMessage and
XXXLogger file for a module, check the class javadoc for the file and if
not present add a comment like:

  * This module is using message IDs in the range XXX00-XXY99.
  * This file is using the subset XXX50-XXX99 for non-logger messages.
  * See http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-16810 for the full list of
  * currently reserved JBAS message id blocks.

That's for XXXMessages. For XXXLogger the 2nd line would be:

* This file is using the subset XXX00-XXX49 for logger messages.

>>
>> On 11/28/11 5:45 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>>> Following a response to a pull request I am just starting to add some
>>> messages to a *Message class.
>>>
>>> I see we have a jboss.org article tracking the reserved Ids, I am just
>>> wondering would it make sense to record the reserved ranges in the
>>> source so you only need to go back to the doc if this range starts to be
>>> exceeded?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Darran Lofthouse.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> jboss-as7-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev


--
Brian Stansberry
Principal Software Engineer
JBoss by Red Hat
_______________________________________________
jboss-as7-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev