Mixing org.jboss.as and org.wildfly packages

Mixing org.jboss.as and org.wildfly packages

So this is a minor issue, but it annoys me so I thought I would see what other people think about it. In the test suite I have noticed that some new code is being added under the org.wildfly package, even though all the existing code is still under org.jboss.as.

I don't think this is a good idea, as it means there is two potential places to look for something, with no real reason why something is in a particular package other than the date it was added.

I propose that we move all the org.wildfly code into org.jboss.as to keep everything consistent (moving everything to org.wildfly would also be an option, but it has implications for backporting and has the potential to create a lot more work).

Does anyone have any objections to this? If not I will prepare some PR's.

Re: Mixing org.jboss.as and org.wildfly packages

Darran Lofthouse
Is this just for code added to existing testsuite projects or new
projects as well?

If the latter may be better to coordinate a suitable time with Kabir a
change like this could be applied.

On 03/04/17 02:45, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So this is a minor issue, but it annoys me so I thought I would see what
> other people think about it. In the test suite I have noticed that some
> new code is being added under the org.wildfly package, even though all
> the existing code is still under org.jboss.as <http://org.jboss.as>.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea, as it means there is two potential
> places to look for something, with no real reason why something is in a
> particular package other than the date it was added.
>
> I propose that we move all the org.wildfly code into org.jboss.as
> <http://org.jboss.as> to keep everything consistent (moving everything
> to org.wildfly would also be an option, but it has implications for
> backporting and has the potential to create a lot more work).
>
> Does anyone have any objections to this? If not I will prepare some PR's.
>
> Stuart

Re: Mixing org.jboss.as and org.wildfly packages

Dimitris Andreadis
Be careful of backwards compatibility!

On 03/04/2017 12:32, Stuart Douglas wrote:

> I mean for maven modules in the Wildfly code base that were using the
> org.jboss.as <http://org.jboss.as> package, and are now using a mix of
> the two.
>
> Stuart
>
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:18 PM, Darran Lofthouse
>
>     Is this just for code added to existing testsuite projects or new
>     projects as well?
>
>     If the latter may be better to coordinate a suitable time with Kabir
>     a change like this could be applied.
>
>     Regards,
>     Darran Lofthouse.
>

>     On 03/04/17 02:45, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         So this is a minor issue, but it annoys me so I thought I would
>         see what
>         other people think about it. In the test suite I have noticed
>         that some
>         new code is being added under the org.wildfly package, even
>         though all
>         the existing code is still under org.jboss.as
>         <http://org.jboss.as> <http://org.jboss.as>.
>
>         I don't think this is a good idea, as it means there is two
>         potential
>         places to look for something, with no real reason why something
>         is in a
>         particular package other than the date it was added.
>
>         I propose that we move all the org.wildfly code into
>         org.jboss.as <http://org.jboss.as>
>         <http://org.jboss.as> to keep everything consistent (moving
>         everything
>         to org.wildfly would also be an option, but it has implications for
>         backporting and has the potential to create a lot more work).
>
>         Does anyone have any objections to this? If not I will prepare
>         some PR's.
>
>         Stuart

Re: Mixing org.jboss.as and org.wildfly packages

Brian Stansberry

> On Apr 3, 2017, at 10:16 AM, Dimitris Andreadis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Be careful of backwards compatibility!

Particularly with testsuite/shared in core. Best leave that alone.

Other testsuite modules shouldn’t be being used anywhere outside their own code base so breaking stuff is less of a concern.

From Stuart’s original post I believe this is only about testsuite.

> On 03/04/2017 12:32, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>> I mean for maven modules in the Wildfly code base that were using the
>> org.jboss.as <http://org.jboss.as> package, and are now using a mix of
>> the two.
>>
>> Stuart
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:18 PM, Darran Lofthouse
>>
>>    Is this just for code added to existing testsuite projects or new
>>    projects as well?
>>
>>    If the latter may be better to coordinate a suitable time with Kabir
>>    a change like this could be applied.
>>
>>    Regards,
>>    Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>>    On 03/04/17 02:45, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>>
>>        Hi,
>>
>>        So this is a minor issue, but it annoys me so I thought I would
>>        see what
>>        other people think about it. In the test suite I have noticed
>>        that some
>>        new code is being added under the org.wildfly package, even
>>        though all
>>        the existing code is still under org.jboss.as
>>        <http://org.jboss.as> <http://org.jboss.as>.
>>
>>        I don't think this is a good idea, as it means there is two
>>        potential
>>        places to look for something, with no real reason why something
>>        is in a
>>        particular package other than the date it was added.
>>
>>        I propose that we move all the org.wildfly code into
>>        org.jboss.as <http://org.jboss.as>
>>        <http://org.jboss.as> to keep everything consistent (moving
>>        everything
>>        to org.wildfly would also be an option, but it has implications for
>>        backporting and has the potential to create a lot more work).
>>
>>        Does anyone have any objections to this? If not I will prepare
>>        some PR's.
>>
>>        Stuart

Re: Mixing org.jboss.as and org.wildfly packages

Josef Cacek
I think, Tomaz should share his view (CC-ing)

During our discussion related to Elytron testing, his preference was to use org.wildfly package names.

-- Josef

> So this is a minor issue, but it annoys me so I thought I would see what
> other people think about it. In the test suite I have noticed that some new
> code is being added under the org.wildfly package, even though all the
> existing code is still under org.jboss.as .
>
> I don't think this is a good idea, as it means there is two potential places
> to look for something, with no real reason why something is in a particular
> package other than the date it was added.
>
> I propose that we move all the org.wildfly code into org.jboss.as to keep
> everything consistent (moving everything to org.wildfly would also be an
> option, but it has implications for backporting and has the potential to
> create a lot more work).
>
> Does anyone have any objections to this? If not I will prepare some PR's.
>
> Stuart

Re: Mixing org.jboss.as and org.wildfly packages

kkhan
If you are specifically talking about the testsuite/elytron module, I believe we can leave those under org.wildfly.test.integration.elytron. Stuart's gripe, as I read it, is mixing of the two packages within a module.

> On 6 Apr 2017, at 07:56, Josef Cacek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think, Tomaz should share his view (CC-ing)
>
> During our discussion related to Elytron testing, his preference was to use org.wildfly package names.
>
> -- Josef

Yes, I am only talking about existing test suite modules that are already using the org.jboss.as package.

For example in integration/basic we now have 'org.wildfly.test.integration.ejb' and 'org.jboss.as.test.integration.ejb', which are logically the same package, but now you have two different places to look for ejb tests.

Stuart

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Kabir Khan <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you are specifically talking about the testsuite/elytron module, I believe we can leave those under org.wildfly.test.integration.elytron. Stuart's gripe, as I read it, is mixing of the two packages within a module.
> On 6 Apr 2017, at 07:56, Josef Cacek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think, Tomaz should share his view (CC-ing)
>
> During our discussion related to Elytron testing, his preference was to use org.wildfly package names.
>
> -- Josef

Tomaž Cerar-2
Well I am all for using new packages and don't mind mixing them.

I consider org.jboss.as.testsuite.* packages as legacy and ridden with problems as they usually contain most problematic testsuite code that should need deeper look into,
I know that is not 100% accurate but still holds up to a point.

Said all that, I do agree that if same test functionality already exists in either parent package it should stay there,
or if new stuff is added and author wants to add it to new package, it should also result in migrating all other classes into same package.

--
tomaz

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Tomaž Cerar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well I am all for using new packages and don't mind mixing them.

I consider org.jboss.as.testsuite.* packages as legacy and ridden with problems as they usually contain most problematic testsuite code that should need deeper look into,
I know that is not 100% accurate but still holds up to a point.

That is because 99% of the tests are in org.jboss.as, so of course it has the problematic tests as well.

Said all that, I do agree that if same test functionality already exists in either parent package it should stay there,
or if new stuff is added and author wants to add it to new package, it should also result in migrating all other classes into same package.

Moving existing tests to org.wildfly can be problematic, as is makes backporting more difficult.