Module dependencies WF10

John O'Hara
When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
different env. I am unable to start WF10.  This is due to the modules
now resolving jars from the local maven repo. The build process
downloads and installs the required jars to local maven repo. that are
not available on the target environment.

Is there a way to either
a) build WF10 and package all the module jars into the build so that it
is portable,
or b) for the WF10 bootstrap process to download missing packages from a
remote maven repo on startup where any modules are missing in the local
repo?

Thanks

--
John O'Hara
[hidden email]

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in UK and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903 Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA), Matt Parsons (USA) and Michael O'Neill (Ireland).

Re: Module dependencies WF10

David M. Lloyd
AFAIK the build app server is not supposed to refer to Maven in the
final output.  Maybe our build process has gotten munged up somehow?  Or
else that translation now happens during distribution only?

On 06/17/2015 09:26 AM, John O'Hara wrote:

> When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
> different env. I am unable to start WF10.  This is due to the modules
> now resolving jars from the local maven repo. The build process
> downloads and installs the required jars to local maven repo. that are
> not available on the target environment.
>
> Is there a way to either
> a) build WF10 and package all the module jars into the build so that it
> is portable,
> or b) for the WF10 bootstrap process to download missing packages from a
> remote maven repo on startup where any modules are missing in the local
> repo?
>
> Thanks

Re: Module dependencies WF10

Jaikiran Pai-2
On Wednesday 17 June 2015 07:56 PM, John O'Hara wrote:
> When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
> different env. I am unable to start WF10.

Are you sure you aren't copying over the distribution from
WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/build/target/ folder? You should instead be using
the one from WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/dist/target/

-Jaikiran

>   This is due to the modules
> now resolving jars from the local maven repo. The build process
> downloads and installs the required jars to local maven repo. that are
> not available on the target environment.
>
> Is there a way to either
> a) build WF10 and package all the module jars into the build so that it
> is portable,
> or b) for the WF10 bootstrap process to download missing packages from a
> remote maven repo on startup where any modules are missing in the local
> repo?
>
> Thanks

Re: Module dependencies WF10

Eduardo Sant´Ana da Silva
But it is happening as John said.
I've just tested, renaming my maven repository in a way that wildlfy could not reach it and I've got:

 ./standalone.sh

  JBoss Bootstrap Environment

  JBOSS_HOME: .... /Wildfly/Neutral/wildfly-10.0.0.Alpha3-SNAPSHOT

  JAVA: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_05.jdk/Contents/Home//bin/java

  JAVA_OPTS:  -server -XX:+UseCompressedOops  -server -XX:+UseCompressedOops -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djboss.modules.system.pkgs=org.jboss.byteman -Djava.awt.headless=true

Exception in thread "main" org.jboss.modules.ModuleLoadException: Error loading module from /Users/eduardo/Applications/Dev/Servers/Wildfly/Neutral/wildfly-10.0.0.Alpha3-SNAPSHOT/modules/system/layers/base/org/apache/xerces/main/module.xml
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleXmlParser.parseModuleXml(ModuleXmlParser.java:150)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleXmlParser.parseModuleXml(ModuleXmlParser.java:127)
at org.jboss.modules.LocalModuleFinder$1.run(LocalModuleFinder.java:150)
at org.jboss.modules.LocalModuleFinder$1.run(LocalModuleFinder.java:144)
at org.jboss.modules.LocalModuleFinder.findModule(LocalModuleFinder.java:144)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleLoader.findModule(ModuleLoader.java:452)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleLoader.loadModuleLocal(ModuleLoader.java:355)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleLoader.preloadModule(ModuleLoader.java:302)
at org.jboss.modules.Module.addPaths(Module.java:1028)
at org.jboss.modules.Module.link(Module.java:1398)
at org.jboss.modules.Module.relinkIfNecessary(Module.java:1426)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleLoader.loadModule(ModuleLoader.java:238)
at org.jboss.modules.Main.main(Main.java:384)
Caused by: org.jboss.modules.xml.XmlPullParserException: Failed to resolve artifact 'xerces:xercesImpl:2.11.0.SP3' (position: END_TAG seen ...resources>\n        <artifact name="xerces:xercesImpl:2.11.0.SP3"/>... @28:56)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleXmlParser.parseArtifact(ModuleXmlParser.java:756)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleXmlParser.parseResources(ModuleXmlParser.java:650)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleXmlParser.parseModuleContents(ModuleXmlParser.java:446)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleXmlParser.parseDocument(ModuleXmlParser.java:261)
at org.jboss.modules.ModuleXmlParser.parseModuleXml(ModuleXmlParser.java:148)
... 13 more

On Jun 17, 2015, at 11:26 AM, John O'Hara <[hidden email]> wrote:

When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
different env. I am unable to start WF10.  This is due to the modules
now resolving jars from the local maven repo. The build process
downloads and installs the required jars to local maven repo. that are
not available on the target environment.

Is there a way to either
a) build WF10 and package all the module jars into the build so that it
is portable,
or b) for the WF10 bootstrap process to download missing packages from a
remote maven repo on startup where any modules are missing in the local
repo?

Thanks

--
John O'Hara
[hidden email]

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in UK and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903 Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA), Matt Parsons (USA) and Michael O'Neill (Ireland).

Re: Module dependencies WF10

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 10:08 AM, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 17 June 2015 07:56 PM, John O'Hara wrote:
>> When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
>> different env. I am unable to start WF10.
>
> Are you sure you aren't copying over the distribution from
> WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/build/target/ folder? You should instead be using
> the one from WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/dist/target/

Note that you have to build with -Drelease to get that, and also you probably will need to beef up the maven max mem settings as the zip plugin seems to consume massive memory:

MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx2g mvn clean install -Drelease -DskipTests

I need to fix build.sh so that this is no longer necessary.

On 17/06/15 16:07, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2015 07:56 PM, John O'Hara wrote:
>> When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
>> different env. I am unable to start WF10.
> Are you sure you aren't copying over the distribution from
> WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/build/target/ folder? You should instead be using
> the one from WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/dist/target/
>
> -Jaikiran
That's what I was doing wrong, knew it would be something simple

Thanks

>>    This is due to the modules
>> now resolving jars from the local maven repo. The build process
>> downloads and installs the required jars to local maven repo. that are
>> not available on the target environment.
>>
>> Is there a way to either
>> a) build WF10 and package all the module jars into the build so that it
>> is portable,
>> or b) for the WF10 bootstrap process to download missing packages from a
>> remote maven repo on startup where any modules are missing in the local
>> repo?
>>
>> Thanks

John O'Hara
[hidden email]

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in UK and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903 Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA), Matt Parsons (USA) and Michael O'Neill (Ireland).

Re: Module dependencies WF10

Jaikiran Pai-2
Hi Jason,

On Wednesday 17 June 2015 08:44 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

>> On Jun 17, 2015, at 10:08 AM, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday 17 June 2015 07:56 PM, John O'Hara wrote:
>>> When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
>>> different env. I am unable to start WF10.
>> Are you sure you aren't copying over the distribution from
>> WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/build/target/ folder? You should instead be using
>> the one from WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/dist/target/
> Note that you have to build with -Drelease to get that, and also you probably will need to beef up the maven max mem settings as the zip plugin seems to consume massive memory:

I just do:

mvn clean install -DskipTests=true

(and sometimes without skipTests) and it generates the binary in the
dist/target just fine. By fine, I mean, I have been able to use that
binary as if I download it from the WildFly downloads.

The one in the build/target folder though, I always run into the same
issues as others have noted here, even when I have full access to the
Maven repo (just like I did while building).

-Jaikiran

> MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx2g mvn clean install -Drelease -DskipTests
>
> I need to fix build.sh so that this is no longer necessary.
>
>> -Jaikiran
>>
>>>   This is due to the modules
>>> now resolving jars from the local maven repo. The build process
>>> downloads and installs the required jars to local maven repo. that are
>>> not available on the target environment.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to either
>>> a) build WF10 and package all the module jars into the build so that it
>>> is portable,
>>> or b) for the WF10 bootstrap process to download missing packages from a
>>> remote maven repo on startup where any modules are missing in the local
>>> repo?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Re: Module dependencies WF10

John O'Hara
On 17/06/15 16:07, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 June 2015 07:56 PM, John O'Hara wrote:
>> When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
>> different env. I am unable to start WF10.
> Are you sure you aren't copying over the distribution from
> WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/build/target/ folder? You should instead be using
> the one from WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/dist/target/
>
> -Jaikiran
>
>>    This is due to the modules
>> now resolving jars from the local maven repo. The build process
>> downloads and installs the required jars to local maven repo. that are
>> not available on the target environment.
>>
>> Is there a way to either
>> a) build WF10 and package all the module jars into the build so that it
>> is portable,
>> or b) for the WF10 bootstrap process to download missing packages from a
>> remote maven repo on startup where any modules are missing in the local
>> repo?
>>
>> Thanks

Is this something that has changed since WF8? I might be wrong, but I am
certain i used to grab the build from build/target before?
(I have not tried this with WF9)

--
John O'Hara
[hidden email]

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in UK and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903 Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA), Matt Parsons (USA) and Michael O'Neill (Ireland).

Re: Module dependencies WF10

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 10:18 AM, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jason,

>>> Are you sure you aren't copying over the distribution from
>>> WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/build/target/ folder? You should instead be using
>>> the one from WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/dist/target/
>> Note that you have to build with -Drelease to get that, and also you probably will need to beef up the maven max mem settings as the zip plugin seems to consume massive memory:
>
> I just do:
>
> mvn clean install -DskipTests=true
>
> (and sometimes without skipTests) and it generates the binary in the dist/target just fine. By fine, I mean, I have been able to use that binary as if I download it from the WildFly downloads.

Ah interesting. I didn't realize we were doing that by default now. I'll have to check if it's only building the full dist, which is fine if so.

> The one in the build/target folder though, I always run into the same issues as others have noted here, even when I have full access to the Maven repo (just like I did while building).
>
> -Jaikiran
>

>> MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx2g mvn clean install -Drelease -DskipTests
>>
>> I need to fix build.sh so that this is no longer necessary.
>>
>>> -Jaikiran

Re: Module dependencies WF10

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 10:19 AM, John O'Hara <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 17/06/15 16:07, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>>> On Wednesday 17 June 2015 07:56 PM, John O'Hara wrote:
>>> When I build WF10 in a build env. and move the built app server to a
>>> different env. I am unable to start WF10.
>> Are you sure you aren't copying over the distribution from
>> WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/build/target/ folder? You should instead be using
>> the one from WFLY_SRC_CHECKOUT_HOME/dist/target/
>>
>> -Jaikiran
>>
>>>   This is due to the modules
>>> now resolving jars from the local maven repo. The build process
>>> downloads and installs the required jars to local maven repo. that are
>>> not available on the target environment.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to either
>>> a) build WF10 and package all the module jars into the build so that it
>>> is portable,
>>> or b) for the WF10 bootstrap process to download missing packages from a
>>> remote maven repo on startup where any modules are missing in the local
>>> repo?
>>>
>>> Thanks
> Is this something that has changed since WF8? I might be wrong, but I am
> certain i used to grab the build from build/target before?
> (I have not tried this with WF9)

Yes this is a change since 9, it's part of the feature pack build system.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Jason T. Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah interesting. I didn't realize we were doing that by default now. I'll have to check if it's only building the full dist, which is fine if so.

yes we did it so testsuite would work properly. as we are using dist/target build for testsuite instead of build/target we used in before.
Plan for future is to use provisioning plugin for testsuite so this wont be needed again.

but it only creates the inflated distro, it doesn't produce zip, tar.gz & friends that happens when you add -Prelease

--
tomaz