Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Mylos
Hello!
does anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.(If I
understand correclty the 'cd' command moves through the tree of AS
resources...)
Thank you very much
Mylos

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own

Re: Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Vimal Kansal
I think basically what you are asking is the ability to enter the OS
shell and execute OS commands which I think right now is not supported
by CLI. I think this will be a good feature.

On 20/07/2011 6:55 PM, Mylos wrote:
> Hello!
> does anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
> when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.(If I
> understand correclty the 'cd' command moves through the tree of AS
> resources...)
> Thank you very much
> Mylos

Re: Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Darran Lofthouse
I am wondering if this request is similar to command line ftp where you
can navigate both the remote server with cd and locally with lcd.

On 07/20/2011 10:45 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:

> I think basically what you are asking is the ability to enter the OS
> shell and execute OS commands which I think right now is not supported
> by CLI. I think this will be a good feature.
>
> On 20/07/2011 6:55 PM, Mylos wrote:
>> Hello!
>> does anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
>> when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.(If I
>> understand correclty the 'cd' command moves through the tree of AS
>> resources...)
>> Thank you very much
>> Mylos

Re: Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Francesco Marchioni
Well, actually they are a bit different as the command line navigates through a virtual subsystems path, while an operating system cd/lcd would traverse a physical path. However, what about a "!" switch to execute OS command, like for the vi editor ?
kind regards
Francesco

2011/7/20 Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]>
I am wondering if this request is similar to command line ftp where you
can navigate both the remote server with cd and locally with lcd.

On 07/20/2011 10:45 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
> I think basically what you are asking is the ability to enter the OS
> shell and execute OS commands which I think right now is not supported
> by CLI. I think this will be a good feature.
>
> On 20/07/2011 6:55 PM, Mylos wrote:
>> Hello!
>> does anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
>> when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.(If I
>> understand correclty the 'cd' command moves through the tree of AS
>> resources...)
>> Thank you very much
>> Mylos

Re: Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Alexey Loubyansky
That's tricky. E.g. ps, cd and vi can all be entered on a command line
but from java they have to be executed differently.

// system command
String[] cmd = {"ps"};
Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);

//shell command
String[] cmd = {"/bin/sh", "-c", "cd mydir"};
// of course it'll affect only the launched shell
Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);

And vi is a terminal application which is even trickier.

On 07/20/2011 02:17 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:

> Well, actually they are a bit different as the command line navigates
> through a virtual subsystems path, while an operating system cd/lcd
> would traverse a physical path. However, what about a "!" switch to
> execute OS command, like for the vi editor ?
> kind regards
> Francesco
>
> 2011/7/20 Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     I am wondering if this request is similar to command line ftp where you
>     can navigate both the remote server with cd and locally with lcd.
>
>     Regards,
>     Darran Lofthouse.
>

>     On 07/20/2011 10:45 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>      > I think basically what you are asking is the ability to enter the OS
>      > shell and execute OS commands which I think right now is not
>     supported
>      > by CLI. I think this will be a good feature.
>      >
>      > On 20/07/2011 6:55 PM, Mylos wrote:
>      >> Hello!
>      >> does anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
>      >> when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.(If I
>      >> understand correclty the 'cd' command moves through the tree of AS
>      >> resources...)
>      >> Thank you very much
>      >> Mylos
>      >>
>      >
>      > jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>      > https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

Re: Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Within the message that started this thread Mylos is saying: -

> anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
> when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.

Maybe I am misinterpreting but I am reading that as being able to
navigate to different folders containing deployments so that the current
working directory can be switched and the deployment made from the new
working directory.

On 07/20/2011 01:17 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:

> Well, actually they are a bit different as the command line navigates
> through a virtual subsystems path, while an operating system cd/lcd
> would traverse a physical path. However, what about a "!" switch to
> execute OS command, like for the vi editor ?
> kind regards
> Francesco
>
> 2011/7/20 Darran Lofthouse <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     I am wondering if this request is similar to command line ftp where you
>     can navigate both the remote server with cd and locally with lcd.
>
>     Regards,
>     Darran Lofthouse.
>

>     On 07/20/2011 10:45 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>      > I think basically what you are asking is the ability to enter the OS
>      > shell and execute OS commands which I think right now is not
>     supported
>      > by CLI. I think this will be a good feature.
>      >
>      > On 20/07/2011 6:55 PM, Mylos wrote:
>      >> Hello!
>      >> does anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
>      >> when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.(If I
>      >> understand correclty the 'cd' command moves through the tree of AS
>      >> resources...)
>      >> Thank you very much
>      >> Mylos
>      >>
>      >
>      > jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>      > https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

Re: Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Alexey Loubyansky
The navigation is possible in the form of tab-completion only and always
starts with the same dir, i.e. $JBOSS_HOME/bin which can't be changed at
the moment. It can be added as a feature though.

On 07/20/2011 03:28 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> Within the message that started this thread Mylos is saying: -
>
>> anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
>> when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.
>
> Maybe I am misinterpreting but I am reading that as being able to
> navigate to different folders containing deployments so that the current
> working directory can be switched and the deployment made from the new
> working directory.
>
> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.
>

> On 07/20/2011 01:17 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
>> Well, actually they are a bit different as the command line navigates
>> through a virtual subsystems path, while an operating system cd/lcd
>> would traverse a physical path. However, what about a "!" switch to
>> execute OS command, like for the vi editor ?
>> kind regards
>> Francesco
>>
>> 2011/7/20 Darran Lofthouse<[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>>      I am wondering if this request is similar to command line ftp where you
>>      can navigate both the remote server with cd and locally with lcd.
>>
>>      Regards,
>>      Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>>      On 07/20/2011 10:45 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>>       >  I think basically what you are asking is the ability to enter the OS
>>       >  shell and execute OS commands which I think right now is not
>>      supported
>>       >  by CLI. I think this will be a good feature.
>>       >
>>       >  On 20/07/2011 6:55 PM, Mylos wrote:
>>       >>  Hello!
>>       >>  does anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
>>       >>  when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.(If I
>>       >>  understand correclty the 'cd' command moves through the tree of AS
>>       >>  resources...)
>>       >>  Thank you very much
>>       >>  Mylos
>>       >>
>>       >
>>       >  _______________________________________________
>>       >  jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>       >  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>>       >  https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

Re: Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Brian Stansberry
Tab completion of absolute paths works fine though. If you watch the CLI
demo I did in my webinar a couple weeks ago, I'm using tab completion to
find the deployment content in /Users/bstansberry/webinar/; I'm not
typing out those full filesystem paths.

On 7/20/11 8:34 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:

> The navigation is possible in the form of tab-completion only and always
> starts with the same dir, i.e. $JBOSS_HOME/bin which can't be changed at
> the moment. It can be added as a feature though.
>
> On 07/20/2011 03:28 PM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
>> Within the message that started this thread Mylos is saying: -
>>
>>> anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
>>> when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.
>>
>> Maybe I am misinterpreting but I am reading that as being able to
>> navigate to different folders containing deployments so that the current
>> working directory can be switched and the deployment made from the new
>> working directory.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Darran Lofthouse.
>>

>> On 07/20/2011 01:17 PM, Francesco Marchioni wrote:
>>> Well, actually they are a bit different as the command line navigates
>>> through a virtual subsystems path, while an operating system cd/lcd
>>> would traverse a physical path. However, what about a "!" switch to
>>> execute OS command, like for the vi editor ?
>>> kind regards
>>> Francesco
>>>
>>> 2011/7/20 Darran Lofthouse<[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>
>>>       I am wondering if this request is similar to command line ftp where you
>>>       can navigate both the remote server with cd and locally with lcd.
>>>
>>>       Regards,
>>>       Darran Lofthouse.
>>>

>>>       On 07/20/2011 10:45 AM, Vimal Kansal wrote:
>>>        >   I think basically what you are asking is the ability to enter the OS
>>>        >   shell and execute OS commands which I think right now is not
>>>       supported
>>>        >   by CLI. I think this will be a good feature.
>>>        >
>>>        >   On 20/07/2011 6:55 PM, Mylos wrote:
>>>        >>   Hello!
>>>        >>   does anyone know if it's possible to navigate through the Filesystem
>>>        >>   when using the CLI ? that would be very useful for deployments.(If I
>>>        >>   understand correclty the 'cd' command moves through the tree of AS
>>>        >>   resources...)
>>>        >>   Thank you very much
>>>        >>   Mylos
>>>        >>
>>>        >
>>>        >   _______________________________________________
>>>        >   jboss-as7-dev mailing list
>>>        >   [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>        >   https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/jboss-as7-dev

Re: Moving through the Filesystem with CLI

Mylos
thank you all for your kind reply. Well moving through the FS using the
absolute path is just fine. Sorry I missed the demo :-(
thanks
Mylos

http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

On 7/20/11 2:55 PM, Mylos wrote:
> thank you all for your kind reply. Well moving through the FS using the
> absolute path is just fine.

Great!

> Sorry I missed the demo :-(

It was recorded. :-)

http://www.vimeo.com/25855285

Apologies for not sending the link before. I was in "start of day answer
emails as fast as possible mode"!